Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

5 hours ago, av405 said:

Interesting. During my visit, there was actually a 3rd 1/24 display case on the shelf. Unfortunately that one had no plastic wrap and there was a deep cut/break along one side of the case. It was still $6.99. I tried to get it for a deeper discount but was told that they couldn't as it was already on sale. In principle I disagreed given its state and decided not to buy it. 

I check the cases before I buy them.  I haven’t bought one in a while.  Do they shrink wrap them now?

Edited by slusher

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I check the cases before I buy them.  I haven’t bought one in a while.  Do they shrink wrap them now?

They always have. Even the previous cases (same design, but they were previously sold under a different brand). 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

My local store always seems to be a couple weeks behind all the other stores that get mentioned in this thread. And typically I miss them because there is a guy that comes in and buys the clearance kits by the literal cartload. I watched it happen once and was confirmed to happen just about every time by employees. 

I’ve posted this before… I asked at my local store (Exton, PA) and was told that there is a guy who comes in every day looking for clearance items and will buy them all. Funny thing, I don’t even know another modeler around here.

When you look for clearance kits comb the entire store. They are seldom on the model shelves. My store has two different Clearance areas, and I’ve found them on kiosk in the center of aisles.  

12 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I’ve posted this before… I asked at my local store (Exton, PA) and was told that there is a guy who comes in every day looking for clearance items and will buy them all. Funny thing, I don’t even know another modeler around here.

When you look for clearance kits comb the entire store. They are seldom on the model shelves. My store has two different Clearance areas, and I’ve found them on kiosk in the center of aisles.  

Probably buying them on clearance to resell on eBay for retail or higher.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slusher said:

I don’t know any model builders around here. Model section was always full until 40 percent weeks. No mostly empty all the time..

Yeah i don't know anyone here either in the hobby, BUT i did meet one that worked at ollies.  He was a cool dude until he said he buys all the kits when they get them after i asked him when ollies where getting kits in again.  He instantly became de-friended in my head when i left 🤣

• Haha 1

I may have glossed over it, but didn't see it mentioned in the last couple of pages.

Get ready, the new stock of Revell kits going on the shelves have a new price, $37.99.  One of the sellers at the Three Rivers show had current Revell kits in the $31-$32 range so it would seem that $38 is the new retail price.

Haven't seen the new Round 2 items yet, so I can't say how those will be priced.  I'd suspect they won't be far behind.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to hit the closeout stores, it appears everyone can sell all they can get their hands on.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:00 AM, Mark said:

I may have glossed over it, but didn't see it mentioned in the last couple of pages.

Get ready, the new stock of Revell kits going on the shelves have a new price, $37.99.  One of the sellers at the Three Rivers show had current Revell kits in the $31-$32 range so it would seem that $38 is the new retail price.

Haven't seen the new Round 2 items yet, so I can't say how those will be priced.  I'd suspect they won't be far behind.

I did mention it back in July when I first saw it, but it kind of got lost in the recent clearance hysteria.  First kit I saw stickered at $37.99 was the Revell Mustang 5.0 LX drag kit.  A couple weeks later the Revell Bronco also appeared at that price.  I don't think I've seen any others yet, which is kind of surprising since it's been over three months.

However, the shelves at my local store were over half empty this week, so they are definitely preparing for a reset.  I'm expecting the $37.99 to be the new "typical" kit price for most of the Revell and Round 2 offerings that were previously $29.99.  I'm sure the prices on some of the snappers and "budget" kits like the 1966 Nova Pro Street and 1967 GTO will also go up, yet remain a bit less than $37.99.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:00 AM, Mark said:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for anything to hit the closeout stores, it appears everyone can sell all they can get their hands on.

I'm wondering if Revell is still doing relatively small runs on a lot of these kits, similar to the last years of Hobbico?

Several of the recent Revell releases have come and gone from my LHS quite quickly, including the '30 Model A coupe, the '37 Ford pickup, and the '56 Del Ray.

28 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

I'm wondering if Revell is still doing relatively small runs on a lot of these kits, similar to the last years of Hobbico?

Several of the recent Revell releases have come and gone from my LHS quite quickly, including the '30 Model A coupe, the '37 Ford pickup, and the '56 Del Ray.

theres a lot more people building since we all had to stay home for months and i expect many of those have continued to build since getting out again. i know local to me the military kits (all that available locally) are very down on their normal stock. paint and thinners are rarely in stock now and sell out the day they arrive

There are a number of recent (last couple of years) kits from Revell, Round 2, you name it, that I have never seen locally at all.  The one LHS here has been getting in all, or at least nearly all, new items in, some faster than others.  Prices in some cases have nosed above retail, but the stuff still moves.  I suspect he's buying in lesser numbers, and some things are in and out inbetween my stops there. 

Another shop, somewhat further away, also gets in pretty much everything but at better prices.  He too seems to be moving a fair amount of stuff.  I picked up the Revell ex-Rat Roaster Deuce and new reissue AMT '64 Mercury Marauder hardtop kits there yesterday.  I noticed he was cleaned out of some "hot" items like the Moebius ramp trucks and Novas.

Around here, the Ollie's stores are loaded up with what looks like another shipment from the Toys R Us buyout from a couple of years ago.  Not a model kit in sight, and the spray paint shelves are down to near nothing too.  You don't ship stuff like that off to closeout stores when it all moves off of the shelves at regular price, sometimes higher.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

There are a number of recent (last couple of years) kits from Revell, Round 2, you name it, that I have never seen locally at all.  The one LHS here has been getting in all, or at least nearly all, new items in, some faster than others.  Prices in some cases have nosed above retail, but the stuff still moves.  I suspect he's buying in lesser numbers, and some things are in and out inbetween my stops there. 

Another shop, somewhat further away, also gets in pretty much everything but at better prices.  He too seems to be moving a fair amount of stuff.  I picked up the Revell ex-Rat Roaster Deuce and new reissue AMT '64 Mercury Marauder hardtop kits there yesterday.  I noticed he was cleaned out of some "hot" items like the Moebius ramp trucks and Novas.

Around here, the Ollie's stores are loaded up with what looks like another shipment from the Toys R Us buyout from a couple of years ago.  Not a model kit in sight, and the spray paint shelves are down to near nothing too.  You don't ship stuff like that off to closeout stores when it all moves off of the shelves at regular price, sometimes higher.

Yeah ollie's here 0 kits all year.  Same as you said nothing but toys and no kits.  I go like every 2 weeks to see if they got anything in, and they do but it's not car kits.  Some scooby doo airplane revell kit, and lame start wars revell kit. 

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I just went through their list of new kits.

Coming soon:

Wild Hoss Bronco.

71 Olds 442.

55 Chevy Gasser. 

66 Chevelle SS. 

34 Ford Sunoco tow truck.

85 Camaro Z28.

81 Camaro Z28.

84 Toyota Supra.

70 Roadrunner. 

Where does one go to see this list of new kits that they’ll be getting?  

Glad to see the Revell 55s in that list - wish it had the 30 Coupe and 32 Roadster on though, but seems like they’re skipping those (or can’t get stock from Revell)

52 minutes ago, shoopdog said:

My Hobby Lobby has the 34 Sunoco tow truck and the Wild Hoss, unfortunately the model section has shrunk another 20%.

The one in our store actually GREW in the past year...the extra space is filled with Gundam robots and Star Wars kits and so on, but it did grow!  Encouraging to see!

I have gone by a couple of HL stores in my area over the last three weeks. Each time there're fewer and fewer models on the shelves. Looking more like they are getting out of the model car business since there is no signs of any restocking going on. May bee that they are clearing out as much stock as they can before bringing in the newly priced kits.