Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

5 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Stopped by HL earlier this week. They had the 1981 Camaro Z/28, the Supra, and the pink ‘57 Thunderbird. None were shrink wrapped. I say this a good potential for some easy swiping tires, spare parts, etc... since the kit boxes are all taped on two sides.

Oh yes. I see disaster here and possibly if parts are stolen too frequently.  HL will not sell them any longer. kind of like the Micheal's store near me. They stopped selling them long before they closed the store. 

Edited by ewetwo

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Stopped by HL earlier this week. They had the 1981 Camaro Z/28, the Supra, and the pink ‘57 Thunderbird. None were shrink wrapped. I say this a good potential for some easy swiping tires, spare parts, etc... since the kit boxes are all taped on two sides.

I visited our local HL this afternoon and all the kits I looked at were shrink wrapped. Wonder if those taped kits without shrink wrap were returns that the store decided to put back on the shelves?  Regardless, I would think it a good idea to pass on purchasing a taped kit. 
Joe

Bought a Revell Porsche today at HL and it isn't wrapped...just the tape circles.

The Tbird was wrapped and the 81 camaro was not.

The supra I got earlier this week is wrapped.

I'd say it's just wether or not the machine that does shrink wrap was down on the production line... so in order to not delay production they just use the tape and keep rolling.

But that's probably horribly wrong. Just sounded good in my head.

17 minutes ago, Khils said:

I have noticed over the years...a lot of Revell of Germany packaging is delivered that way.

Could be something intrinsic to that "division" 🤔  still doesn't explain why some kits are wrapped at one location and taped at others.

Perhaps we are looking way too far into it 🤣

I remember back in the '50's and early '60's when the AMT kits just had paper stickers over the box ends that showed what kit was in the generic box.  Funny but I didn't know anyone who thought someone would open a kit to steal parts, but I was just a kid living on the south side of Chicago.  Times sure have changed.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Bought a Revell Porsche today at HL and it isn't wrapped...just the tape circles.

The Tbird was wrapped and the 81 camaro was not.

The supra I got earlier this week is wrapped.

I'd say it's just wether or not the machine that does shrink wrap was down on the production line... so in order to not delay production they just use the tape and keep rolling.

But that's probably horribly wrong. Just sounded good in my head.

Probably has to do with what facility they sourced the kit from.

On 11/3/2022 at 5:30 PM, PappyD340 said:

Yes indeed, but get ready for sticker shock most of the Revell kits are $40 now!!

Yeah, $22.00 with the Coupon Price.... Ugh.

But, If they have the Bronco or Supra, I'll be getting one. But, the HL in Bakersfield runs months behind the rest of the country, and never gets kits that other HL's get. So, it is a gamble to see what they carry.

I was in Atlanta yesterday for the ACME show, grabbed some older kits and parts for upcoming builds. Stopped by the Hobby Lobby near the hotel and grabbed the 81 Camaro, kit was taped as previously mentioned. They had slots for many of the new kits but a couple were missing, notably the 32 Ford and 71  Olds 442.