Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis models for 2021 !!!!

gbdolfans

46 minutes ago, Dragline said:

Sell em to us like that, no need to chrome it. I'm just going to strip it all anyways.

Way back when Atlantis first bought all this tooling I sent Pete a note that if he had the tooling for Unreal it would be a good one to run as it did not have vinyl tires, something he could not do at the time. 

I'd like to see both a chrome and a none chrome version.......I too plan on stripping one! 

I'm planning on doing a weathered one and an old school box art build. I have Molotov and through the airbrush it looks better than kit chrome. Not only that, the roof is tin and the wheels are steel. I know we will get chrome so it's no biggie I guess.

As long as the original decals are also supplied. That new design is not up to snuff.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, paul alflen said:

If Atlantis has the 'Lil Coffin' tooling, can we get them to run the tires, wheels, and mags from it for a parts pack ?( like AMT's) Pete are you listening?( this is a money maker for you)

It doesn't work that way. Plus, the Lil' Coffin wheels have ejector pin marks on the outside face of the rim...no thanks.

The 1/16 Green elephant Vega F/C, 1'32 '82 Camaro Z/28, '69 Nova SS and '57 Cadillac are all available to pre-order now:

https://atlantis-models.com/model-vehicles/

H1494_final__45550.1616848855.jpg?c=1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

H1494_final__45550.1616848855.jpg?c=1

Dear Atlantis, thank you for all you're doing for the hobby; I salute you, and will support you to great success by buying everything I possibly can.

So happy you're bringing this kit out, though your box art and branding could use some TLC, and I want to help. Here's a quick remix for you. Enjoy!

atlantis_green_elephant_vega.png.b2c7fc91d910fd1bd8c21776d92a1737.png

Ok Casey, I can see that you won't be buying a set! LOL Seriously, every Lil Coffin kit I find to buy  at a club meet for the wheels , the wheels are missing! OK then AMT if you are listening ,( John G.) copy these wheels and tires and offer them in a parts pack, please!

2 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Ok Casey, I can see that you won't be buying a set! LOL Seriously, every Lil Coffin kit I find to buy  at a club meet for the wheels , the wheels are missing! OK then AMT if you are listening ,( John G.) copy these wheels and tires and offer them in a parts pack, please!

They might be able to do the tires by themselves because the whitewall inserts are usually separate from the main kit tooling (they have been used in quite a few different kits, but for some reason only in the Boot Hill Express they are molded in the kits color???)

However, the wheels are integrated into each kits tooling, so they'd have to run the entire kit just to get the wheels for a "parts pack"

Edited by Mr. Metallic

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

They might be able to do the tires by themselves because the whitewall inserts are usually separate from the main kit tooling (they have been used in quite a few different kits, but for some reason only in the Boot Hill Express they are molded in the kits color.

The tires are molded separately from the rest of the kit, naturally.  The plastic whitewall inserts are probably in each kit's tool.  Not having them in front of me, the lettering is different between the Boot Hill Express and Li'l Coffin pieces.  The Hairy Olds kit has entirely different inserts.  Those Monogram slicks are nice for 1/25 scale applications where you want a "little bit bigger" slick.  The insert piece from the Hairy Olds kit can be altered to take 1/25 scale wheels, then cast to get as many as wanted.

12 hours ago, Stef said:

Dear Atlantis, thank you for all you're doing for the hobby; I salute you, and will support you to great success by buying everything I possibly can.

So happy you're bringing this kit out, though your box art and branding could use some TLC, and I want to help. Here's a quick remix for you. Enjoy!

Agree on all counts. Box art is not as easy as it looks. I submitted my version of box art for the Moebius Hudson as I did the artwork for the decals. Sean ended up doing the box with some of my elements....and his did come out better. 

mine

MARSHALLX.jpg

Sean's

TEAGUE53box.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

13 hours ago, Stef said:

May I suggest one of the most important things about this issue needs to be emphasized right at the top-
BIG SCALE. In BIG letters.
Easy for an excited kit purchaser to grab and purchase a kit, without really reading the box. May not want a big scale. 
Otherwise, I really like the new box art.

Edited by Jon Cole

41 minutes ago, Mark said:

The tires are molded separately from the rest of the kit, naturally.  The plastic whitewall inserts are probably in each kit's tool.

The Lil Coffin's whitewall inserts are molded with the rest of the kit. Both the Lil Coffin and Boot Hill Express were last released in 2013 and 2012, respectively, and molded stateside, so unless new Revell kept them, there's a very good chance Atlantis has them. I suspect the former, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both run again within the next few years.

12 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

Easy for an excited kit purchaser to grab and purchase a kit, without really reading the box. May not want a big scale. 

If it's physically in someone's hands and they are able to read the kit description, it's hard to imagine that persons glossing over the scale which is also *right there*...The size of the box alone should give anyone with a half0decent idea of scale some pause if they've never ventured out of the bi-scale comfort zone.

The only issue I have is the pictured injector scoop is not included in the Vega F/C kit (but is found in the Garlits R/E T/F dragster, IIRC), and the windshield notch smaller than pictured, too, but those are very minor things. Looking forward to seeing what Atlantis is including for tires and slicks, so, hopefully optimistic at this point.

20 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Did anyone else see the unplaited Unreal Roller test shot go for well north of $100 on ebay last week??? I want one bad....but that was out of my pay grade.  

Yeah, I was watching that auction - think it ended up at $120 or so in the end.

Good way to get a jump on the reissue and build one if you're desperate...but I can wait a while and buy 4 of them for the same price when they're released for real :D

That type of scoop only exists in the Don Garlits RE dragster. I don't think it's practical to add that to this kit. I think for many 1/16 builders, we'll be buying this kit to get better tires than what was included in the Revell kits. I really hope Atlantis offers these separately. I also hope this and other kits show up in Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately my lhs, doesn't seem to carry them.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, Justin Porter said:

No photo description available.

Atlantis just posted these test shots. 

I was really hoping they where going to use the newly tooled wheels from the last Hawaiian issue. Bummer, more trick wheels for the parts bin. 

Revell 85-4082 1/16 Roland Leong's Hawaiian Charger Funny Car Plastic Model  Kit

Edited by Daddyfink

5 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I was really hoping they where going to use the newly tooled wheels from the last Hawaiian issue. Bummer, more trick wheels for the parts bin. 

Revell 85-4082 1/16 Roland Leong's Hawaiian Charger Funny Car Plastic Model  Kit

By my understanding the rear tire are new just not the wheels ?