Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod model car builders who also own or build 1/1 scale hot rods...let's start a list...

Always been intrigued here by all the model car builders who either concurrently, or later in life, went on to build or own their own 1/1 scale hot rods.   Let's start a list...here are a few I know off the top of my head...

* Jim Kampmann - you know Jim as the builder of awesome scale drag racing and hot rodding models plus co-owner of The Good Stuff.  Jim owns a killer 1/1 1932 Ford  Highboy Coupe.

* Fred Farrand - well known modeler whose work has appeared in the model mags since the early 1990s, has authored several killer threads here at the MCM forum, and who in more recent years has collaborated on several 1.1 scale hot rod builds with a well-known hot rod builder near Saginaw, Michigan.  His 1/1  1932 Highboy has been featured in Rodding USA and his 1935 Y-Block powered Ford sedan is nearly done.... 

* Claude Thibodeau -  I don't know Claude well but I am nearly 100% confident I've seen at least one, and probably several killer 1/1 scale rods with his name on them.   Maybe that has something to do with why his models are so cool and creative? 

* Tom Carter - the recently retired owner of Spotlight Hobbies (formerly Hobby Heaven) has a very sharp 1932 Ford Highboy Coupe.  

* Gary Gollehon - one of the five originators of the original NNL West in 1982 and a good friend of David Dale, Gary went on to build a very trendy 1/1 scale 1929 Model A Highboy Sedan Delivery that was well covered in the magazine world. 

* Dennis Lacey - one of the premier builders of hot rod models here in the Forum has been professionally and directly involved in any number of 1/1 scale hot rod construction projects.  Maybe that's whey his model hot rod projects reek of authenticity and realism!   

* Pat Ganahl -  the hot rod world's most noted historian and author also has built quite an impressive collection of scale hot rod projects, some going back as far as projects built in the late 1950's.... 

* Also, there is a highly placed 1/1 scale auto industry executive who has seen at least two of his 1/1 scale hot rods covered in the buff books is also a very enthusiastic, and increasingly talented builder of model cars in the very limited spare time he has to pursue personal endeavors of this sort.  While his modeling interests are primarily 1/12th scale and geared to road racing subjects, I have no doubt he could turn out a killer 1/25th hot rod should that be something he was interested in trying.   

There must be at least ten others that I know of but just can't recall right at the moment...so who else do we know builds, or has built in the past, model hot rods and also owned, currently owns, builds, or has a project underway for 1/1 scale hot rods?    TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Bill Engwer....aka Ace Garage Guy...don't know for sure if he started out building car models...but he sure knows of what he speaks when it comes to the real thing....and has had numerous projects posted here that are chock-full of instructive commentary from both the 1:1 full scale world...and it's 1/25 imitations.

30 minutes ago, styromaniac said:

Bill Engwer....aka Ace Garage Guy...don't know for sure if he started out building car models...but he sure knows of what he speaks when it comes to the real thing....and has had numerous projects posted here that are chock-full of instructive commentary from both the 1:1 full scale world...and it's 1/25 imitations.

Thanks Steve....I agree, Bill's numerous contributions here over the years stand for proudly for his 1/1 and 1/25th scale  knowledge and insight....TB  

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Terry Jessee had 55 210 2dr wagon. 

And right now he owns a '68 Caprice Estate wagon with a 396 or 427 (can't remember which) rat motor.  It was a push car for a nostaligia rail dragster at one point previously, and it is really sharp.   TB 

Bought a few years ago I drove it while I finished my 1966 Mustang 2+2. That car is finished now so I will turn my attention to the '46 coupe. I bought her because it had all the 'norms'. Mustang II front, Ford 9 inch rear, and while I am a Ford guy the GM 350/350 combo has been perfect so leave it alone. My plans are to go solid black, steel wheels and add bumpers back. These fat Fords have TONS of room and lots of parts made for them. A FUN car and I don't worry about it as much as when I drive he 66!!!

INS2.JPG

If you know anything about rock guitar...you know who this is.

Builder of 1:1 hot rods......and car models

Here with his Lil Coffin, Outlaw and Tweedy Pie, among others.

(I'd post guitarist Eric Clapton and his car models ....but I don't know if he built 1:1)

Here he talks abut his 1:1 builds, inc. his ful size replica Milner 5W Coupe (after he lost the bid on the real car):

(9) Jeff Beck --Music and Cars Part 1 - YouTube

(9) Jeff Beck Music and Cars Part 2 - YouTube

jeff beck.JPG

Edited by SpeedShift

Guess this will leave out some gentlemen.  I can think of David Cummins, who was a Chrysler executive, won top awards at GSL, but he only owned some Ferraris, so that wouldn't count.  Haracio Pagani sure isn't on this forum, a video showing his factory shows models he built as a kid, now he builds killer exotic cars, not hot rods, so he wouldn't count.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing famous guys who build (built) any models, and own nice cars, any type of cars.

I have always had a problem with a combination of squirrels and the grass is always greener. Most of mine were not show quality, some were nice daily drivers, and the rest were running and driving projects.

It all started with the 1953 GMC I fixed up enough to be my high school driver. You would call it a survivor.  All original corner window cab right down to the 16 inch rims with dog dish caps...with a 68 Ford 302 and 3sp. 

Next one was another survivor. 57 Ranchero, 312 3spd. 

Nice daily drivers of a 65 Falcon Futura with a 68 302, and a sweet 68 Cougar. Aquamarine blue and dog dish caps with a 351c under the hood. Also a 62 Ranchero. Another 68 Cougar with a 302.  These were all the nicest looking ones I owned.

65 Impala four door hardtop with a mild built 68 olds 455 under the hood. Worn black primer and a blast to drive with that 4:11 posi.

Currently in the garage is my 53 F-100 short step. It has a rebuilt original six cylinder four spd combo, but my father-in-law has a 53 flathead I can have...

Sometime this summer I am bringing home my 38 Buick special project.  Brand new rebuilt 52 straight 8, same engine as the original, but better innards.  Plan on dropping it a couple inches,  adding dual carbs, header, and finned aluminum valve cover. Leaving the original faded black paint with red rims.

Projects that never hit the street are too numerous to mention.

You forgot the SBC Mafia Tim! (maybe that's why, LOL!)

I have a daily driver red  29 Ford A roadster with a 350/T400/9 inch combo.  Has been my daily driver for over 37 years.  I built a model of it when I was 14, knowing exactly what I was going to drive when I got older!

In the shed is a custom, Carson topped style 35 Phaeton and there's a 29 5 window flat-packed down the side of the house.

Vern Scholtz in Edmonton, Alberta has a mindboggling collection of nostalgia drag car replicas with hand painted signwriting that is beyond human. As well as being a hired gun in a long history of funny cars and altereds, he has just finished a knockout lime pearl green 23 T bucket for the street.

Geoff Rea in Moe Victoria has a fleet of 32s and has been building models all his life.

Richard Borozdin from Perth WA just finished a Rodder's Journal quality 40's style 32 roadster with a screaming 289 ( there ya go, Tim). Builds GSL quailty models and got one of his trucks on the front of SAE many years ago.

Nev Risely was on the committee of Super Model Car Sunday here in Perth and cruises in a killer replica of Milner's coupe.

Mark Perry in Melbourne Victoria has been modelling for at least forty years, had a scalloped 39 Chevy sedan and has nearly finished a nostalgia fullfendered Deuce.

I am barely scratching the surface here - model building is very popular amongst Aussie rodders.

Cheers

Alan

7 hours ago, alan barton said:

You forgot the SBC Mafia Tim! (maybe that's why, LOL!)

I have a daily driver red  29 Ford A roadster with a 350/T400/9 inch combo.  Has been my daily driver for over 37 years.  I built a model of it when I was 14, knowing exactly what I was going to drive when I got older!

In the shed is a custom, Carson topped style 35 Phaeton and there's a 29 5 window flat-packed down the side of the house.

Vern Scholtz in Edmonton, Alberta has a mindboggling collection of nostalgia drag car replicas with hand painted signwriting that is beyond human. As well as being a hired gun in a long history of funny cars and altereds, he has just finished a knockout lime pearl green 23 T bucket for the street.

Geoff Rea in Moe Victoria has a fleet of 32s and has been building models all his life.

Richard Borozdin from Perth WA just finished a Rodder's Journal quality 40's style 32 roadster with a screaming 289 ( there ya go, Tim). Builds GSL quailty models and got one of his trucks on the front of SAE many years ago.

Nev Risely was on the committee of Super Model Car Sunday here in Perth and cruises in a killer replica of Milner's coupe.

Mark Perry in Melbourne Victoria has been modelling for at least forty years, had a scalloped 39 Chevy sedan and has nearly finished a nostalgia fullfendered Deuce.

I am barely scratching the surface here - model building is very popular amongst Aussie rodders.

Cheers

Alan

Alan!....I knew I was forgetting someone who was at the top of my mental list before I began typing the post...of course you are a prime example of what I am talking about. 

I have for many years (decades, actually) admired Vern Scholtz' models - he was a regular at the GSL for many years - for his interest in scale Fuel Altereds as well as his mode lbujilding skills as you articulate them....

Geoff sent me photos of his models in the early  days that I included in my Modeler's Corner columns....didn't know he was a 1/1 builder...

Thx for adding to our knowledge base on this subject...TIM 

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Guess this will leave out some gentlemen.  I can think of David Cummins, who was a Chrysler executive, won top awards at GSL, but he only owned some Ferraris, so that wouldn't count.  Haracio Pagani sure isn't on this forum, a video showing his factory shows models he built as a kid, now he builds killer exotic cars, not hot rods, so he wouldn't count.

Otherwise, I look forward to seeing famous guys who build (built) any models, and own nice cars, any type of cars.

I recall David's GSL work, but didn't make the connection of his Chrysler executive career and didn't know of his 1/1 scale Ferraris.  This would fully qualify him in my mind view.    OF course there was the late Chuck Jordan who was GM's Design VP,  and was a very prominent collector of 1/43 scale Ferrari resin and white metal models....(and a very big  behind the scenes assist to Revell-Monogram on certain models such as their landmark 1969 Camaro Z-28 and SS-396 replica stock kits of the 1990's). 

Thanks for the info, Kurt.....TIM 

8 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I have always had a problem with a combination of squirrels and the grass is always greener. Most of mine were not show quality, some were nice daily drivers, and the rest were running and driving projects.

It all started with the 1953 GMC I fixed up enough to be my high school driver. You would call it a survivor.  All original corner window cab right down to the 16 inch rims with dog dish caps...with a 68 Ford 302 and 3sp. 

Next one was another survivor. 57 Ranchero, 312 3spd. 

Nice daily drivers of a 65 Falcon Futura with a 68 302, and a sweet 68 Cougar. Aquamarine blue and dog dish caps with a 351c under the hood. Also a 62 Ranchero. Another 68 Cougar with a 302.  These were all the nicest looking ones I owned.

65 Impala four door hardtop with a mild built 68 olds 455 under the hood. Worn black primer and a blast to drive with that 4:11 posi.

Currently in the garage is my 53 F-100 short step. It has a rebuilt original six cylinder four spd combo, but my father-in-law has a 53 flathead I can have...

Sometime this summer I am bringing home my 38 Buick special project.  Brand new rebuilt 52 straight 8, same engine as the original, but better innards.  Plan on dropping it a couple inches,  adding dual carbs, header, and finned aluminum valve cover. Leaving the original faded black paint with red rims.

Projects that never hit the street are too numerous to mention.

Sam....that's quite a car building history.....I've never heard a '53 called a Short Step....I presume that means SWB Flareside (Stepside) .... in any case, sounds like a winner in the waiting....TIM