Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most Involved Part of Building?

I'm just curious as to what you guys think is the most involved part of building for you. Is it research? or maybe engine detail? What steps do you sweat the most to make sure everything is done right? For me it's the painting of the body.... I do my absolute best to have everything clean and slick for the next step in the process. I get pretty good results most of the time, but it's taken some time to learn what to do and not to do......

So, where does most of your attention go when you build?

Most recently, the most involved portion of the build for me has been interior work.

I've been spending a great deal of time rebuilding old annual interiors basically from the ground up.

Overall though, I would say my "most involved" part of the build is the general engineering portion.

With the kinds of models that I build, there is a considerable amount of engineering required to get chassis, engine bay and engine swaps to fit together properly with old kit bodies and revamped interiors.

The vast majority of the work on my projects is done long before any paint flies.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Finding suitable wheels and tires for what I want to do seems to give me the most trouble these days. 

After that, probably trim work. I'm pretty comfortable with bodywork and painting and polishing at this point, but I never enjoy doing the window trim, chrome trim, emblems, etc. 

Body and chassis modifications and subsequent bodywork/finish work to make those modifications look original.  Seems nobody makes the kits I want to build.  It's a fastback, I need a notchback; it's a short bed, I need a long bed and vice versa; it's 2WD, I need 4x4, etc.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Finding suitable wheels and tires for what I want to do seems to give me the most trouble these days. 

After that, probably trim work. I'm pretty comfortable with bodywork and painting and polishing at this point, but I never enjoy doing the window trim, chrome trim, emblems, etc. 

I share that one with you too Richard, the wheels and tire part at least.  I'm still a WIP on the other stuff.  I'm needing wheels and tires for one right now.

54 minutes ago, Karl LaFong said:

Applying Bare Metal Foil - I have to remind myself "It's only a hobby, it's only a hobby..."

I feel ya my brotha. I don't do that much foil work but in some cases--such as the model I'm working on right now--it's not only the best way to do the trim, it's actually the easiest way. I still dread every cut. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Karl LaFong said:

Applying Bare Metal Foil - I have to remind myself "It's only a hobby, it's only a hobby..."

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I feel ya my brotha. I don't do that much foil work but in some cases--such as the model I'm working on right now--it's not only the best way to do the trim, it's actually the easiest way. I still dread every cut. :unsure:

Isn't it funny how different operations are perceived by different people.

I look forward to the foil work.

It's one of the most relaxing and rewarding parts for me.

Steve