Model Cars Magazine Forum

using cardstock

Has anyone used card stock for modeling? I need to use strips to form the bow of a boat, adding them to a styrene hull. I am concerned about sealing them after installation so they can be sanded and blended. The boat will never be in water, but I am concerned about moisture in the air. Any thoughts or experiences welcome!

Thanks for the input! I plan on laying in a supply of plastic strip, tried to cut my own out of sheet but not even enough. I am going ahead with cardstock strips- easier to cut since the lines are 1/4" apart for instant guide lines. See how this works out in trucks and light commercial, truck, boat, and trailer. I am using white glue so if things go south I can soak everything off and start again! If things go well, I will then figure out a sealer to stiffen and moisture proof the card stock.

I purchase manufactured styrene stock in smaller sizes, but something as wide as 1/4" would be easy to cut yourself.  A good stainless steel ruler with a non-slip backing, and one of those "box cutters" with a nice sharp edge, and you're good to go.

I keep a good stock of Evergreen on hand. A good starter set would be their 9002 Odds & Ends pack, which gives you small pieces of a lot of different sheet, strip and round. 

Another good buy is the 9008 Sheet Assortments of .01, .02 and .03 one sheet of each to gauge what thickness would work for your  needs.

Card-stock has been a railroad modeling staple since the 1930s.

And lack of stability due to fluctuating humidity has also been a problem.

I've had good luck spraying card-stock structures and railcars with a clear lacquer. EDIT: Of course, you have to coat both inner and outer surfaces.

NOTE: I also use card-stock extensively to mock-up parts and assemblies that I'll copy later in styrene...just like I use heavy cardboard, thin plywood and MDF to mock-up real car parts.

It's much cheaper and less frustrating to get things to all fit together correctly FIRST.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

NOTE: I also use card-stock extensively to mock-up parts and assemblies that I'll copy later in styrene...just like I use heavy cardboard, thin plywood and MDF to mock-up real car parts.

It's much cheaper and less frustrating to get things to all fit together correctly FIRST.

453E3D36-0598-489D-B259-7534C87F15CA.jpeg.aa9452e5a856d02b9c76acc49aa77824.jpeg

Cardboard mock up stage..

A9FC56B1-E6DE-4C05-AC09-D1A3B299F972.jpeg.dbd217e75ac91f6f9cf6e23a9e35672c.jpeg

Shapes transferred to plastic.. much cheaper to screw up on free cardboard! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

As mentioned above, card stock is great for making templates, patterns and mock-ups but I would use styrene for the actual construction. I used Evergreen strips (don't remember the size) to adapt a resin Studebaker bullet nose to an AMT Speed Boat hull. It worked great.

IMGP3178.JPG.c2f52806e08d3d9baac898f446457806.JPG

IMGP3188.JPG.d826aaef386d4faff5d02ad90d11c643.JPG

IMGP3185.JPG.feb2c7643b4d5b2ad1eff8547e5748d4.JPG

IMGP3192.JPG.a6686e85aa4c7e065bd966e8670a054f.JPG

IMGP3334.JPG.139c96557d5998d0868207b13a575045.JPG

As a source of sheet styrene, I use the plastic "For Rent" type of signs that one can buy at the local hardware retailer. They are very inexpensive and come in a variety of thicknesses.

I bought a few nearly a decade ago and I'm still using them.

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

I used cardstock a loto when I build models. It is a great material anche easy to find around the house. I will not use white glue,  because is water based, this mean that it will take a lot of time to dry, and also that can bend or deform what you are building. I usually use superglue or zap glue. 

About sanding, you can do it, but you need to remember that is cardstock, so it start to have a different texture as soon as you sand it. I usually use a 600 sand paper. THe cool thing is that you can use also putty on it. I use the Bondo brand. 

Another thing to keep in mind if you build large parts is that you need to build some kind of support, frame or reinforcment. Like any other material.

I like using textured card occasionally for the patterns and grains it has sometimes - used some for the seat cushions in this build to give a kind of fabric look with some wrinkles and whatnot:

69FA0605-F095-4C0A-9F88-4F670CEBC8CE.thumb.jpeg.105259a86c1b2a010a2565d6d5b0927a.jpeg

And I found some in Michael’s that had a nice in-scale pattern to look like some kind of fabric strap to hold the spare wheel in place on this one:

689F9809-0D55-43F1-980C-A3C83EAB544C.thumb.jpeg.6c81886a89d956ff590664012ee5934a.jpeg

Card definitely has it’s uses!  

That said, I’d definitely use styrene for what you’re thinking of doing...