Model Cars Magazine Forum

Congrats Steve Guthmiller

On 4/8/2021 at 7:55 PM, peteski said:

I suspect that if FSM was a sponsor of the online NNL contest, and Steve entered those photos in the contest, he probably at that time gave his permission for them to use photos.

For as long as there have been NNLs, photographers (err....that would include me) have been taking pictures of the models there and then (oops, that would be me again) submitting then them to published sources without expressly asking permission from the builder.  The same thing occurs countless times each year at 1/1scale automotive events. 

However, in such instances, if the photo appeared in an article that did not directly involve covering that specific event, I always tried (and continue to try when possible) to add a sentence such as "Steve's superb replica stock model was photographed at the NNL South"...or in this instance, it would have read "was submitted as an entry in the ACME Virtual Southern Nationals...)."

On a related subject, I have long admired Replica Stock model building, and if you have read any of Steve's build threads, you can't help but conclude Steve is setting new levels of innovation and build quality/accuracy in the realm of replicas stock models.  

His recognition in printed magazines is long overdue, and welcomed by myself and (reading this thread) many others in the model car hobby.

Way to go, Steve?  TIM  

22 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

On a related subject, I have long admired Replica Stock model building, and if you have read any of Steve's build threads, you can't help but conclude Steve is setting new levels of innovation and build quality/accuracy in the realm of replicas stock models.  

I agree! The true test is when your work inspires others to do better work. Steve’s builds have inspired my Valiant convertible below.. I’m currently piecing together a detailed interior to replace the old bucket.

5BC9246C-F9CB-41CE-B7D4-6908A0DD0023.jpeg.63a4147a5b807108100011762d359b2a.jpeg

6 hours ago, tim boyd said:

For as long as there have been NNLs, photographers (err....that would include me) have been taking pictures of the models there and then (oops, that would be me again) submitting then them to published sources without expressly asking permission from the builder.  The same thing occurs countless times each year at 1/1scale automotive events. 

However, in such instances, if the photo appeared in an article that did not directly involve covering that specific event, I always tried (and continue to try when possible) to add a sentence such as "Steve's superb replica stock model was photographed at the NNL South"...or in this instance, it would have read "was submitted as an entry in the ACME Virtual Southern Nationals...)."

His recognition in printed magazines is long overdue, and welcomed by myself and (reading this thread) many others in the model car hobby.

Way to go, Steve?  TIM  

Yes, Tim, having been my model club's photographer for the last 20 or so years I also take and submit photos to the  model magazines.  For SAE (later SA), I designed my own "fact sheet" that I asked modelers to fill out to go with the photographs.  Model Cars Mag. provided me with their fact-sheet/release-form for the modelers to fill out.

Scale Auto Contest Annual (later Contest Cars) always published a large portion of the photos we submitted.  Unfortunately most of the photos we submitted to Model Cars over the years went unpublished due to the problems they have been experiencing for quite some time.  With the demise of SA Mag., and probably of Contest Cars, I sure hope that Model Cars will now publish the photos we submit (next time we can actually hold our annual contest).

But as you said, with many contests taking place online, it makes sense that the online submitted photos would end up getting published in some magazine.  In this example, since Steve wasn't really involved in the process (other than submitting his photos to the online contest), and since the NNL was not mentioned in the photo's caption, things were a bit mysterious until I posted a scan of the photo and caption. That gave Steve a clue as to how those photos got published.

I also agree that Steve's models are superb.  And factory stock is my favorite kind of model.

Congrats Steve on getting your Galaxy in another mag!  Well done, and well deserved I might add.

As to the comments about other types, I think we can all learn  from each other and something else I have observed is that the skills learned doing one type on model will carry over to another, detailing, weathering and such.

That being said, I have learned a lot from you Steve about detailing from your posts and hope to continue to do so.

Jerry

• 1 month later...