Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Atlantis H1223 Mooneyes Dragster

Casey

Just like the '57 Cadillac box this has some odd perspective quirks. Looks like the Dragster in the other lane is 50ft away and not from the same era unless this represent some vintage exhibition match. The Mooneyes rail also seems to be  turning towards the center of the the track. Although it's obviously wheels up it looks like it's tipping over to the driver's left. I know I'm being picky but it just looks goofy to me.  Are we going down the same path as some of those awful Model King boxes from years ago?

Guess it shouldn't matter since what's in the box is the most important thing.

Edited by Phirewriter

I get what you're saying. Also it appears the back of the cockpit is enclosed which wouldn't be the case, right? I do like some nice art work when it happens and can see where it would help sell the kit.

IMO, it is not the best composition. If your intent is to sell the Mooneyes dragster, it would seem to me that IT should be the main subject that attracts the eye, centered or slightly above center and with the most detail. The background should be there to support the subject and provide the viewer some context. It kind of does this, but it should be cropped much tighter. At the end of the day, we just want the model, so it doesn't really matter, but this could have been a really cool one.

I'm a huge fan of vintage and vintage style box art and am one of "those" guys that collect kits that feature cool and interesting art. That being said the recent release of the 1:16 Green Elephant Vega F/C has great packaging simply using photos. With all the photos of the Mooneyes car out there of both the original and the recreation Atlantis certainly could have purchased or licensed someone's photos and come up with something better. Besides it would give the builder a good detailing reference.

I really appreciate everything Atlantis is doing as I also build aircraft and sci-fi subjects so I feel a little bad about being overly critical.  I just think as anticipated as this kit is they could have done better. Also curious as to why the grandstands are extending far behind what seems to be the starting line that also is lacking a Christmas tree. I'm guessing whom ever they chose to render this has little if any familiarity with drag racing.

As far as composition, there's a guide that painters and illustrators refer to as the golden triangle (look it up if you're so inclined) Unless the theme is say for instance a forced perspective or a composition designed to enhance certain aspects of the subject then generally this is a good layout guide to start with. There are a couple of artists I  know of that have good painting and colour working skills but suffer an inability to compose an overall art piece or even render the subject accurately. They turn to the computer capture images and try to assemble them with Photoshop or similar programs and then transfer it to whatever medium they're using. Unfortunately unless you find every image in the same perspective plane it's difficult to compose this way. I've used this process as a quick guide to focus my ideas as I've searched for information for a project but never used it in the actual art process. As with the recently released '57 Caddy with the flat rear tire this also has that weird mashed up composition look.

I illustrate, paint and enjoy practicing other forms of visual art. I therefore tend to be a bit more critical when it comes to art generated for commercial purposes and certainly like many of my artist friends are my own worst critic too. I've scrapped work I wasn't happy with instead of just saying "eh, good enough" and am not above turning down commission work if I feel I can't meet the expectations of a client.

Below is a perfect example of great composition from one of my favorite box artists whom I think needs no introduction 😁 The competitors car is in the foreground yet the focus is still on the main subject. The spacing between cars is much more realistic as are the distance and out of focus imaging of the fans in the stands. The composition is such that although in reality there's a good deal of distance between the foreground, subject and background the entire painting looks tight, focused and cohesive.

Anyways.... sorry for the rant, I'm still eagerly awaiting stacking a few of these on the drag racing subjects shelf in my workshop.

Mono-PC-229-2.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter

10 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

I really appreciate everything Atlantis is doing as I also build aircraft and sci-fi subjects so I feel a little bad about being overly critical.  I just think as anticipated as this kit is they could have done better. Also curious as to why the grandstands are extending far behind what seems to be the starting line that also is lacking a Christmas tree. I'm guessing whom ever they chose to render this has little if any familiarity with drag racing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with everything you noted.  Surprised that no one has commented yet on the NHRA logos on both the banner and the tower: neither of them is in perspective, and it sticks out like a sore them to me.

It's good that the manufacturers realize the value of nostalgic artwork, but as you said, the execution often leaves a lot to be desired.  The artwork for the upcoming AMT 1966 Fairlane 427 was recently posted - lots of wackiness in the front end on that illustration.  I suspect that it was the same artist who did the box art (yellow) for their recent 1958 Edsel reissue, which shared similar problems.

IMHO, the worst in recent memory is still the Revell "stock" 1976 Gran Torino (blue car on box art).  That one looks like the perpetrator flunked out of art class!

Edited by Robberbaron

I'm beginning to think if people even cared half as much about what was IN the box, than what was ON the box, there'd probably be more than one Tamiya in the world.

Or is it a - We know the contents are some highly dubious 1963 era parts, and so instead of addressing that, and the fact  "new" Revell wanted no part of it - we're going to have an advertising art lecture?

• Like 2

The shortcomings of this kit (not necessarily the individual parts, many of which were state of the art in their time) have been addressed, here and elsewhere.  The Revell of 2021 is Revell in name only, its owners have decided on the direction in which they are going.  Their product people (at least those in charge) probably know little and care even less about this type of subject matter, and the cost of moving it to where they do their production likely tipped the scales against their doing anything with it.  Prior Revell leadership over the previous forty years varied from foreign owners who also didn't know the product, to a greeting card company, to one or two quick-buck artists who never got to some of this stuff because they had other things that were easier to deal with.

So now, with this subject matter being too small a market for much beyond revisions and restorations of already existing tooling, Atlantis will do very well with it, in most cases selling multiple copies to people who grasp the idea that some work will be needed for 100% accuracy but also realize that the parts in the box will also be used for other projects in the future.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:59 AM, Casey said:

New Box art below for the 1/25 Mooneyes Dragster by Gene Chambers. PREORDERING WILL BEGIN END OF JULY FOR THIS ITEM.

h1223M.jpg.19869eba97dc7696d875ccb53672b8e5.jpg

Great little kit, glad to see this survive under a new brand. 

19 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

It's nice to see these back, and it looks like some nice vintage parts for the kitbashers.  As for the box, what's inside the box is what counts.  If you want art, buy a poster.

Right? First thing I thought of when I saw that box art was "Freakin' Mooneyes Dragster! Sweeeeeet!" Last thing on my mind was looking for flaws with the box art. No worse than that mid 80s AMT Ertl stuff. Or even that Racing Champions AMT stuff for that matter...

I want multiples.

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 6:59 AM, Casey said:

New Box art below for the 1/25 Mooneyes Dragster by Gene Chambers. PREORDERING WILL BEGIN END OF JULY FOR THIS ITEM.

h1223M.jpg.19869eba97dc7696d875ccb53672b8e5.jpg

Do they not have access to the internet for some research on what things looked like back then?

At Pomona

Mooneyes-dragster2.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

I don't get it. Here's a kit of an iconic subject that hasn't been available in over 50 years. It wasn't even that common when it was new. People pay mad money for them on eBay, then when a reissue is announced, the first thing that happens is people grouse over the box art? Here we have a made in the USA company on a shoestring budget that cares enough reassemble all the inserts and components to put this back in production, and the background of the box art is a problem? I thought I was a nit-picker, but this takes nit-picking to a whole new level. 

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 4

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy to have the kit back and I'm glad it will be out there again for folks to build! A few years back I went out of my way to gather parts from various sources (including a partial kit) to build a decent version: 

I've commented very positively about the return of this kit on other threads here, but I saw this thread as more of an opportunity to weigh in on the box art, which I still see as disappointing.

Could the art be better?  Possibly, but it really is a non-issue.  Back in the hobby's heyday, when you could expect to sell a million copies of a kit, you could afford to hire someone like Jack Leynnwood to do your box art.  Now, it means asking Flo in shipping if her kid is still taking art classes.   Choices have to be made, and I'm just fine with Atlantis putting the priority on what's in the box.  I wish certain other model companies would follow their example.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

3 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy to have the kit back and I'm glad it will be out there again for folks to build! A few years back I went out of my way to gather parts from various sources (including a partial kit) to build a decent version: 

I've commented very positively about the return of this kit on other threads here, but I saw this thread as more of an opportunity to weigh in on the box art, which I still see as disappointing.

Your build-up is absolutely gorgeous. 

I really like the kit!

On the subject of the box art........

Whatever Photoshop Jockey they are using, he needs to go. I know that the "Fringe" buyers (all of us on this board) will purchase multiples of this kit. But, Atlantis also sells in Hobby Lobby. "Carl Cardtable", is influenced far more by good art work. Sadly, This is not the box art you were looking for, to bend a quote.

Michael Fischer is right. This is poor art. Atlantis has produced some decent art for the new kits. Look at the Unreal Roller and Groovy Grader. Much better. This kit and the '57 Caddy? Not so much. Given how truly awful the 1/48 scale '55 Chevy One Ton, was, this is an area where Atlantis should step up their Game.

• Confused 1

This is what was on my mind. Thinking about the modeler who may or may not purchase this kit based on how cool it looks on the box. Many of us, including me know what's in the box and are going to buy it no matter what.

Most of us know how the kit is, and some of us have the original already, and most of us will buy it again. 

Atlantis has done a great job resurrecting some vintage kits, we just wish they would resurrect great box art as well. 

Give Atlantis some time, up until now they have done little in the way of automotive stuff.  But they seem to be going all-in judging by what we have seen in a short time.  I can't wait to see what they come up with once they get licensing for Ford and Chrysler stuff...

• Like 1