Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Lane Blacktop 55 Chevy

The real car is a 2 door sedan.The Amt '55 would be the closest plastic kit to start with. A new tool Revell '55 hardtop might be more accurate, but you would have to graft a sedan roof on, probably from the Revell '56 recently issued. You could also start with an American Graffiti diecast, if you can find one for a decent price and you don't mind diecast. None of these have a flip nose, that will have to be fabricated.

16 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

The kit that would probably be your best starting point may be the Monogram "Badman" kit and its derivatives.

Disagree. That kit's a hardtop too, and not even the best one of those available. And it's 1/24 which complicates everything. 

20 minutes ago, larman said:

The real car is a 2 door sedan.The Amt '55 would be the closest plastic kit to start with. A new tool Revell '55 hardtop might be more accurate, but you would have to graft a sedan roof on, probably from the Revell '56 recently issued. You could also start with an American Graffiti diecast, if you can find one for a decent price and you don't mind diecast. None of these have a flip nose, that will have to be fabricated.

Good assessment. But when you graft the '56 2DS roof on, you'll also have to take the tops of the doors and the quarters and probably the whole trunk area. The AMT '55 Bel Air 2DS body isn't horrible except for the whole front end, which will be apparent when you leave the bumper off as the 2LB car has. An easier way, especially if you want a flip front end,  might be to graft the Revell HT (or convertible) front clip onto the AMT 2DS body. I've considered this very swap and have procured the necessary kit but haven't yet gotten around to seeing if how well the two will actually mate up. 

The old Revell diecast AG 2DS body is pretty nice. I built one and like it a lot. Haven't seen one for sale for a long time. 

Edited by Snake45

A seller on the bay has all the pieces to build the car. It’s my understanding that it’s the same person that owns Reliable Resin, and has had a few problems in the past with filling orders. But the seller has maintained a 100% feedback. He has just about every part to build the TLB car. Might get a bit costly, but maybe buy the body and flip front, and grab everything else from other kits, or your parts bin to save money. I was seriously thinking of buying his stuff myself to build this car. 
Just check his other items for sale for other TLB parts. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Chevy-Gasser-BODY-Shell-TLB-for-AMT-1-25-kits-by-Reliable-Resin-/234051962840?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Edited by Brutalform

16 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I'll be watching this one James to see what you come up with.  

It's just a thought right now Bob. Sounds like it would be quite a undertaking for me, I probably need to get some more building under my belt before I try it. I have 3 or 4 kits now that I need get to first. I just got the MPC 57 Chevy Spirit of 57 gasser and it made me think of the 55 in the movie. I use to watch that movie about once a year, but haven't seen it a while. If I remember correctly the car was a grey primer with a flip nose and a 454 engine. There were actually 3 cars built for the movie, but the grey primer one was the main car. Thanks for comments guys, gives me something to think about. 

2 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

It's just a thought right now Bob. Sounds like it would be quite a undertaking for me, I probably need to get some more building under my belt before I try it. I have 3 or 4 kits now that I need get to first. I just got the MPC 57 Chevy Spirit of 57 gasser and it made me think of the 55 in the movie. I use to watch that movie about once a year, but haven't seen it a while. If I remember correctly the car was a grey primer with a flip nose and a 454 engine. There were actually 3 cars built for the movie, but the grey primer one was the main car. Thanks for comments guys, gives me something to think about. 

I looked the movie up a few weeks ago and was going to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it.  It's not on Sling either.  

43 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I looked the movie up a few weeks ago and was going to watch it but Netflix doesn't have it.  It's not on Sling either.  

Yes. Definitely hard to find. I have it on a VHS tape. You can always check out the car when it was on American Graffiti when it’s painted black. 

55 minutes ago, Zippi said:

The excellent Criterion DVD 2-disc set is available from Wal-Mart for $19.99.  One of the DVD special features is "Performance and Image," about the ’55 Chevy used in the movie.  I have that DVD set but haven't watched in a while.  As I remember, it has a lot of info about the Chevy, and a collection of still photos.

https://www.criterion.com/films/847-two-lane-blacktop

8 hours ago, Brutalform said:

A seller on the bay has all the pieces to build the car. It’s my understanding that it’s the same person that owns Reliable Resin, and has had a few problems in the past with filling orders. But the seller has maintained a 100% feedback. He has just about every part to build the TLB car. Might get a bit costly, but maybe buy the body and flip front, and grab everything else from other kits, or your parts bin to save money. I was seriously thinking of buying his stuff myself to build this car. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Chevy-Gasser-BODY-Shell-TLB-for-AMT-1-25-kits-by-Reliable-Resin-/234051962840?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Hmmmm. He's still go the Bel Air trim on the door, which makes me question the accuracy of the rest of the thing. 

29 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I built a very loose replica from the Monogram '55, started in the '90s and finally finished at the very beginning of this year.

Some good tips here on what not to do!

I used to watch it every so often on a VHS recorded off the TV, somewhere I've got a DVD.

I saw that Monogram kit on ebay and thought it would probably be a good base for the car. But it was 50 bucks and I would not be comfortable cutting that front clip off to make the flip nose. 

6 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I saw that Monogram kit on ebay and thought it would probably be a good base for the car. But it was 50 bucks and I would not be comfortable cutting that front clip off to make the flip nose. 

Is there a link to your finished project? It looks like you were getting it looking very close to the movie car. 

9 hours ago, Brutalform said:

A seller on the bay has all the pieces to build the car.

When the seller has more images of real cars, instead of detailed, in focus, close-up images of the actual product you are buying, well, you've been warned.

While the AMT '55 Bel Air Sedan is the best starting point, if you want a true forward tilting front end, there's a lot of work ahead no matter what you start with.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:24 AM, Brutalform said:

On 8/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, Casey said:

When the seller has more images of real cars, instead of detailed, in focus, close-up images of the actual product you are buying, well, you've been warned.

While the AMT '55 Bel Air Sedan is the best starting point, if you want a true forward tilting front end, there's a lot of work ahead no matter what you start with.

This guy has quite a reputation so beware if you plan to deal with him.
Just so you are prepaired.