Model Cars Magazine Forum

At Walmart (at least one store)

10 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. When Walmart came to my town, a Supercenter was plopped down over a marsh, necessitating the need for another marsh to be constructed a ways to the south. Many small businesses that couldn’t compete with Walmart’s prices had to shutter, and our downtown became rundown and neglected as a result. Their low prices come at more than just a monetary cost. And that’s a price I don’t want to pay.

I totally understand. We don't really have that issue here, but I realize that it is an issue elsewhere. I don't shop there that often. I have to drive a bit to get to a SuperCenter, or stop on the way home from the office (which is getting more often). My closest WalMart is one of the early small footprint stores, but it has groceries. I may save $1 on the socks which doesn't really register in the bank account,  but saving $30 on three jugs of motor oil is huge if all three cars need servicing at the same time. I can also get a Motorcraft filter for the Ford and an ACDelco filter for the Chevy very cheaply there. Haven't seen models here, but haven't been to a Supercenter in a long time either.

2 hours ago, keyser said:

Tooling gets refinanced every time company trades hands. So not paid for really. Cars get sold and refi-ed all their lives. As do houses. 

Nevermind, not worth clarifying/argument. Like Dave I hate Walmart.
I understand times for many are ugly. Pay what you can for what you want. It doesn’t make sense to drive many miles for chance to get something. With gas, insurance, and most importantly time, it isn’t worth it to me. I’d used to drive to wherever, find nothing, drive home. My time is limited, so I don’t waste it. 
Most my stuff will never be finished, and I don’t even have any grails anymore. So moot for me anyway. 🤷🏻

Cool, hate Walmart, hate away. 

And yes, some of us don't have to buy another model ever again, but we can when we want to, but don't BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH on those that can't do it as easily. Simple as that. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

You want to pay full boat, go for it! No one is telling you not to, but don't dump on others for finding a deal. 

I think the distinction is between finding something you were looking for at a lower price than expected, versus buying something because the price was low.

And let's not use the excuse "there's no LHS near me!". People have been using mail order for decades, so buying online is always an option. Factor in the money you spend on fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc., for the vehicle you drive to get to the store (completely ignoring your time, as if that's a valueless commodity) and that $10 shipping cost isn't much more than what you are already spending-- maybe far less.

• Like 4

I shop at Walmart mostly for grocery items. Heck, most of the time I end up getting half of what I need. The rest of my groceries are bought at 3 other supermarkets in my area.

There is one rule everyone should follow when shopping at Walmart.... NEVER buy anything in electronic department. Not even laptops or PCs. They’re all junk and have poor specs. 

I cringe when folks buy laptops at Walmart thinking they’re getting a great deal. They’re not.

5 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

There is one rule everyone should follow when shopping at Walmart.... NEVER buy anything in electronic department. Not even laptops or PCs. They’re all junk and have poor specs. 

I cringe when folks buy laptops at Walmart thinking they’re getting a great deal. They’re not.

One exception to the electronics thing.........

I bought two LG smartphones at Walmart. Total was was under $35 out the door. Activated them on my AT&T plan and I've gotten 2 years good use out of them SO FAR. These same phones at the AT&T store cost you $100 if bought out right. This trick was told to me by a worker at a AT&T store......so pick your electronics wisely at Walmart and it can work. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had to buy some regular items so I decided to look and see if they had any deals on modeling stuff. Well my local Walmart has gotten out of that market all together. Not a single item that has anything to do with the hobby. 😠

• 3 weeks later...

Man i searched quite a few walmarts and they never got anything lol, but most of the kits these walmarts have been getting I've got anyways.  But to the folks that say support LHS bruh it's hard to sometimes.  Like why would i pay $70 for a kit at a LHS when i know i can get it else where for like $45-$50? or when hobby lobby has 40% off sale or when ollies has good kits in for $8 or $20.  All the LHS around me i do support though by buying something(like a can of tamiya paint to decant) but it's not a lot.  Hobby town is one shop i go too sometimes but rarely buy anything cause there super expensive compared to most.  Like they have some regular kits for $45 that i know you can easily get for $25-$30 so why would i buy that? 

Edited by Dpate

• 5 months later...

Haven't seen any of these here in my neck of the woods. But then, I don't venture into Walmart much.

And wifey won't tell me if she happens to see a rack of models because apparently I "have too many as it is."

Pffft. Too many models. Like that's actually a thing.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

And wifey won't tell me if she happens to see a rack of models because apparently I "have too many as it is."

Pffft. Too many models. Like that's actually a thing.

Pretty sure my spousal unit has way more books than I have models, and I am 100% sure we both have too many. We just need a house twice the size of what we have now, but at current California Real Estate prices that ain't gonna happen.

3 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

That’s true. 

A keen observation on Walmart’s model kit prices.... at least a little than half of those kits can be found in Hobby Lobby. With a 40% sale, it comes out cheaper than Walmart. 

Plus at least Hobby Lobby has paint and evergreen plastic and other items. HL is the.better choice especially if there is no local hobby shop.

On 4/8/2022 at 5:51 PM, Smoke Wagon said:

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. When Walmart came to my town, a Supercenter was plopped down over a marsh, necessitating the need for another marsh to be constructed a ways to the south. Many small businesses that couldn’t compete with Walmart’s prices had to shutter, and our downtown became rundown and neglected as a result. Their low prices come at more than just a monetary cost. And that’s a price I don’t want to pay.

Yup that's what happened to Oroville. Lots of thrift and antique shops and they just don't do that well. Plus your town is up a creek without a paddle if Walmart decides to pull out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack L said:

not all Walmarts have them have not found them in 4 stores in my area

So far it seems WM ships them to stores in area WITH hobby shop (or HL) but not to areas without hobby stores. My local WM is 2 hours from any hobby kit retailer but NEVER gets kits. Yet in Lexington KY, with a number of hobby retailers, gets multiple shippers of kits?!?!?!?!?!?!?

31 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

So far it seems WM ships them to stores in area WITH hobby shop (or HL) but not to areas without hobby stores. My local WM is 2 hours from any hobby kit retailer but NEVER gets kits. Yet in Lexington KY, with a number of hobby retailers, gets multiple shippers of kits?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That seems to be the case here too - the Walmart is 5 mins drive from both a HL AND a Michael’s and had one of these kit displays last Christmas 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave Van said:

we have 4  walmarts & 2 HL, no hobby shops with in 10 miles 

😊😊😊

The Walmart here in Columbia Ky brought in a pallet of models a few months ago, and two days ago (even tho there were still quite a few from the first pallet) brought in a new pallet display of models....  ALL RIGHT!!!!   Nearest H/L are Somerset, Elizabethtown, and Bowling Green (40mi/60mi/and 75mi respectively).....   NO hobby shops any closer....   Glad WallyWorld brought them in here, as gas prices make for less travel!!!!

DJ