Model Cars Magazine Forum

How the Lexus IS evolved from executive to an emphatic sedan

Since its introduction in 1998, Lexus’s IS model has been continually evolving with several noticeable refinements, yet still retains premium characteristics from the first model.

The first-generation IS model already received positive feedback from buyers and presses, making it reputable in the design department. In 1998, this model was chosen for Japan's Car of the Year, an outstanding step to leave an impression in the car market.

lexus-is-2-b8bb_wm.jpg.c0830df26733fac4348b4031827b80a3.jpg

The executive sedan received a slight redesign five years after its debut. The fog lamps, headlamps, 11-spoke wheel design, and taillights were all refined, while the interior remained largely the same.

In 2005, the second-generation Lexus IS has an overall sharper and more angular exterior design. It kept the executive sedan elements from the previous generation while adding key athletic features that helped set it apart to this day.

In 2006, The performance-oriented IS F made its debut, with a further emphasis on its nameplate's sporty nature. The inline-six engines were phased out during this generation, and V6 engines were introduced in their place.

The third-generation Lexus IS entering the car market in 2013, showing what Lexus' greatest designers can do. It features the brand's spindle grille in the front, as well as crisp character lines all around the car.

The current IS F Sport model is equipped with a V6 engine that is capable of producing 300 horsepower. On the other hand, the IS 300h has a 2.5-liter hybrid engine that works in tandem with Lexus' E-CVT so as to maximize its efficiency. 

lexus-is-5-1-2d02_wm.jpg.e6e058d5f528abca95c3bdf8a7abff43.jpg

• Confused 1

I'm not a fan of the big-gaping-mouth grille that has been plopped on Lexus cars for few years now. Some other makes also use similar treatment.  I hope it this trend will pass soon.

As far as Ftraven goes, he only made 3 posts so far, and none are model car related.  But I guess this section is for models and real cars, so he hasn't broken any rules.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ftraven said:

Since its introduction in 1998, Lexus’s IS model has been continually evolving with several noticeable refinements, yet still retains premium characteristics from the first model.

The first-generation IS model already received positive feedback from buyers and presses, making it reputable in the design department. In 1998, this model was chosen for Japan's Car of the Year, an outstanding step to leave an impression in the car market.

lexus-is-2-b8bb_wm.jpg.c0830df26733fac4348b4031827b80a3.jpg

The executive sedan received a slight redesign five years after its debut. The fog lamps, headlamps, 11-spoke wheel design, and taillights were all refined, while the interior remained largely the same.

In 2005, the second-generation Lexus IS has an overall sharper and more angular exterior design. It kept the executive sedan elements from the previous generation while adding key athletic features that helped set it apart to this day.

In 2006, The performance-oriented IS F made its debut, with a further emphasis on its nameplate's sporty nature. The inline-six engines were phased out during this generation, and V6 engines were introduced in their place.

The third-generation Lexus IS entering the car market in 2013, showing what Lexus' greatest designers can do. It features the brand's spindle grille in the front, as well as crisp character lines all around the car.

The current IS F Sport model is equipped with a V6 engine that is capable of producing 300 horsepower. On the other hand, the IS 300h has a 2.5-liter hybrid engine that works in tandem with Lexus' E-CVT so as to maximize its efficiency. 

lexus-is-5-1-2d02_wm.jpg.e6e058d5f528abca95c3bdf8a7abff43.jpg

Sorry if this isn't the right place to talk about this car.

On 8/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, cobraman said:

That car is all kinds of ugly. Just my opinion and I have been told I have all my taste in my mouth. No offense to anyone who may own one.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:41 PM, peteski said:

I'm not a fan of the big-gaping-mouth grille that has been plopped on Lexus cars for few years now. Some other makes also use similar treatment.  I hope it this trend will pass.

Ditto!🤢

On 8/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, peteski said:

I'm not a fan of the big-gaping-mouth grille that has been plopped on Lexus cars for few years now. Some other makes also use similar treatment.  I hope it this trend will pass soon.

The "angry catfish" look is on everything now, the way the "smile" grilles were ubiquitous for a decade or more. 

I'm old enough to remember when all the new cars looked different. You could tell not only the make but also the year just from the front end. Imagine that!