Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update #3 - building a test shot of the upcoming Moebius 1965 Chevy II Sedan Gasser Kit....

tim boyd

As explained under my recent posting in the 'Model Car Kit News' section of the forum, Dave Metzner of Moebius Models has agreed to let me share with you a preview of their 1965 Chevy II Sedan Gasser kit which is expected to be out early next year.  (You can review the details here if you missed that post...) 

This thread will show my buildup of their test shot, starting with the update below.  Further updates will be seen every couple of days until the model is completed and shown in the "under glass" section of the forum. 

The first build process update is pretty brief but at least we are into prepping and painting some of the parts of the kit.  Here is a link to the update....

If there is any one assembly from this kit that represents the skill and care Moebius put into it, it is the wheelie bar assembly. It is incredibly well engraved (some of which shows in the photo here, some not) and I predict it will become the "go to" wheelie bar setup for all drag and street gasser models from this point forward.

DSC 0779

I am already at work on update #2....we'll show the front and rear suspensions and wheels and begin assembly of the front subframe. Check back in a couple of days for all the details, and thanks for looking....TIM

PS - Please remember...because of the nature of this presentation, the following images are copyrighted and may not be reproduced or copied, either digitally or in printed form, without my express permission in advance. Thanks for your cooperation on this.

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 1

• tim boyd changed the title to Building a test shot of the upcoming Moebius 1965 Chevy II Sedan Gasser Kit....
  • tim boyd changed the title to Update #2 - building a test shot of the upcoming Moebius 1965 Chevy II Sedan Gasser Kit....

Build Progress Report #2

Today we look at the front and rear suspension elements, how they look in assembled form, and how the front suspension locates to the subframe Moebius has engineered into the kit.

Here's one of the eight images with commentary posted at the update link....check out the engraved individual leaves on the front springs.....

DSC 0824

Check back tomorrow for the next update, where I will show the engine parts, assembly of same, and how the interior comes together. Thanks for looking!

TIM

(Please remember, because of the nature of this presentation, the following images are copyrighted and may not be reproduced or copied, either digitally or in printed form, without my express permission in advance. Thanks.)

Today we look at the front and rear suspension elements, how they look in assembled form, and how the front suspension locates to the subframe Moebius has engineered into the kit.

Check back tomorrow for the next update, where I will show the engine parts, assembly of same, and how the interior comes together. Thanks for looking!

TIM

(Please remember, because of the nature of this presentation, the following images are copyrighted and may not be reproduced or copied, either digitally or in printed form, without my express permission in advance. Thanks.)

• Like 1

I see what you mean about not being able to mount the front axle on top of the springs without reengineering everthing-looks like it would hit the crossmember. Actually, it looks like the axle would hit the crossmember as-is with about one inch or less of up-travel. Of course those springs as-modeled would be pretty much solid, as there's no provision for movement at either end. Hmmmmm, looks like some reengineering will be necessary one way or the other....:unsure:

BTW, the Motion-type traction bars look excellent--MUCH better than the ones in the AMT '72 Nova. 

Thanks much for these pix. I really appreciate the valuable information therein. B)

Edited by Snake45

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I bet there will be some sharp '63 Nova wagon gasser builds using this chassis! 

Chris....yep....that has certainly crossed my mind, too.

I'm also seeing other early-mid 1960's compact bodies....the JoHan Olds Cutlass....the AMT/SMP Valiants, the Revell Lancer/Valiant, the AMT '61-63 Comets, and several years of Falcons.  In fact, I think an AMT '66-69 Falcon body, with this Nova Gasser underbody suspension, and maybe a kitbashed/blown 289 Ford V8, might be a highly cool build project....

TIM 

• tim boyd changed the title to Update #3 - building a test shot of the upcoming Moebius 1965 Chevy II Sedan Gasser Kit....

For this update, I will show the engine parts, assembly of same, and how the interior comes together.

Here's two images from the updated photo album/review at this link; in the course of this update I show both these assemblies in their completed forms.... 

DSC 0800

DSC 0806

Check back tomorrow for more updates, including completing the engine compartment, body componentry, and beginning final assembly.

Thanks for looking! TIM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking great , Tim .  I've been following your photos / progress with great interest . 

Those fenderwell-exit headers are awesome !  IIRC , SBC headers are darned close to AMC V8 exhaust port spacing -- these will find their way onto a long-pending 1975 Matador build I've had in mind for 17 years . Now , I must admit that I'm surprised by the absence of a flange on the heads-side of those headers .

15 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Looking great , Tim .  I've been following your photos / progress with great interest . 

Those fenderwell-exit headers are awesome !  IIRC , SBC headers are darned close to AMC V8 exhaust port spacing -- these will find their way onto a long-pending 1975 Matador build I've had in mind for 17 years . Now , I must admit that I'm surprised by the absence of a flange on the heads-side of those headers .

John....as somebody on another board commented tonight, those flanges are actually engraved on the cylinder heads and I missed them.  Painted white to match the headers, they would have looked very good....another item to be added to the list when I build a mildly kitbashed 2nd copy of this kit when it becomes available early next year!   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

John....as somebody on another board commented tonight, those flanges are actually engraved on the cylinder heads and I missed them.  Painted white to match the headers, they would have looked very good....another item to be added to the list when I build a mildly kitbashed 2nd copy of this kit when it becomes available early next year!   

That makes sense . The headers seem to mate-up quite nicely vs. having the flange moulded to them .

UPDATE #4 - Building the Moebius 1965 Chevy II Gasser

Well, the website availability to update the title has now expired, but I do have another update for you to check out.  

Today's updates include completing the engine compartment, body componentry, and beginning final assembly.

In the next and final chapter of this review, which should follow in the next couple of days, I’ll do an in-depth look at the finished model as well as the decal livery sourced from Slixx Decals (as the Moebius decal sheet had not yet been prepared when I built this model). I'll also provide some final impressions from having built the test shot, as well as how I might build my own, mildly kitbashed version of the final kit when it is available for sale early next year.  It will be posted either in the "Under Glass" section or at the end of my original post on the kit in the "Car Kit News and Reviews/Industry Corner portion of the forum..... 

DSC 0906

• Like 2

More great stuff, Tim, thanks so much! B)

If I'm seeing things correctly, it looks like engine mounts rise up from the subframe. Looks like engine swaps should be easy, right? 

With the subframe setup the way it is, I'm not seeing any reason for the front-sump oil pan, as was necessary in the stock cars. That should facilitate engine swaps, too. 

And with the engine mounts on the frame, it looks like that dropped middle crossmember could be cut and moved, or maybe even omitted entirely. This would give some room for the front axle to travel. Might even make enough room for the axle to be mounted on top of the springs and lower the front end a few scale inches. But I'm waiting patiently and eagerly to see how the finished model "sits." 

Drive on, old friend! B)

Thanks Tim for documenting and posting this build, really appreciate all the details. I’m a big fan of Mobius kits, particularly the wonderful Mopar and Comet SS and A/FX kits which have so accurately depicted some actual historic drag cars. Question on this Nova kit:  will Moebius be supplying decals in this kit that depict an actual period gasser of the mid 60’s that existed or will they be for a generic/ fictional racer? Would be nice if they could also someday do a ‘64 Nova variation of this kit for the Doug Thorley “Chevy-2-Much” car.

1 hour ago, papajohn97 said:

Would be nice if they could also someday do a ‘64 Nova variation of this kit for the Doug Thorley “Chevy-2-Much” car.

They'd need to tool up a whole new body, or at least a new roof die. The '64 and '65 2DS roofs are different. B)