Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Round2 Releases

Casey

43 minutes ago, gasman said:

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet but the new tool 1:25 tv/movie car is the Green Hornet

You have my attention, especially if it's the TV car.  I have the Polar Lights version, but it's a smaller scale, and honestly isn't that great.   A stock Imperial would be ideal, but this'll do.

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Hmm. Curbside with rolling wheels... Wonder if this is going to be an update on the Hero '66 Imperial? Would probably just use the hood, chassis (with promo engine insert) and wheel backs.

Hope not, I'm stiil hoping for a reincarnation of the stock Imperial.

1 hour ago, keyser said:

It’ll pay for other stuff. I wish them thanks, and sell tons. Amphicat too. Hope for the 60 Ford F100 at some point. 

I was thinking the same thing about all the Star Wars, Star Trek and Coca-Cola stuff. If it makes them money for them to indulge in our little peccadillos, then so be it!

Well so much for my 007 James Bond Aston Martin theory.

Still Black Beauty is welcome news, just wish the 64 Imperial Hardtop  tooling was still around to base it on. Not surprised it was scraped after that kit was on the shelves unsold (marked down to $1.00  or less in most stores that had models )  until the late seventies . It was a great kit with lots of custom styline  parts. 

As for Round 2's James Bond license, if you pay for that, and also the  Aston Marin license (used for JL thus far) it only made sense the they would spend their tooling cash on a sure thing, at least that's how I figured it. Oh well, maybe someday.

black-beauty.jpg

1156919-26866-33-pristine.jpg

There is a lot of detail in the '64-'66 Imperial kits, but I remember they tended to be on the shelves forever compared to the intermediates, Corvettes and Mustangs.  If the Green Hornet does well, maybe Round2 will consider something like the '66-'67 Lincoln coupe, which would use much of the '65 convertible kit.

1 minute ago, Motor City said:

If the Green Hornet does well, maybe Round2 will consider something like the '66-'67 Lincoln coupe, which would use much of the '65 convertible kit.

The '66 -'69 Lincolns were a completely different body from the '65s. The only thing the kits could share would be the chassis plate. Engines were different too. 

66-69 Lincoln’s all 4 doors, promo based. 
BB is slam dunk, never done well, and Kato drove it and kicked most azz. Bruce Lee was fairly new as were martial arts, and he is epic celebrity. 
I’d not give up on the Bond Aston. Both Bond and normal DB5 doable, perhaps a DB4, or Volante too. 
I agree with @Dave Van that Tom Lowe is licensing master, so potential there. DB5 was in many recent Bond films that non Boomers have seen too. Could even use C3 Vette convert from current Star Trek series, young Kirk driving. Max out overlap. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

There is that Toyota 2000GT that MPC came out with way back when.  Is that in Round 2's collection somewhere, or does it belong to Airfix?

Pretty certain that was an Airfix tool. Pretty cool kit tho...

@Richard BartropAirfix did a 2000GT coupe as well as the roadster. I don’t know where tool is.
Airfix did DB6, seemingly based off DB5. I had an MPC DB6, and have the Mastercraft/Airfix Bond DB5. They shared much. The DB6 did not seem to have any residual DB5, for lack of a better word. 
A starting point.