Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy Gasser

Wolfangel

Here is a '57 Chevy gasser I recently started.  There has been a lot done to it so far.  I started with the MPC '57 Gasser as my base kit.  I was wanting a combination of the 2 Lane Blacktop '55 along with some style and flash of Project X '57.  So far I have done these modifications..................scratch built front gas tank mount, scratch built hood scoop, scratch built front suspension including the axle and spindle mounts using a combination of parts from the Henry J, a Tamiya on road car, aluminum tubing and some sheet plastic to make posable steering.  Then I radiused the rear fenders and made new inner fender tubs from an old medicine bottle.  The rear axle is a combination of a quick change rear axle from a Craftsman truck, the leaf springs from the gasser kit and ladder bars from a '41 Willys.  The motor is is from the gasser kit but has a tunnel ram with metal carbs from Pro-Tech.  The rear clicks are parts box with tire decals and the rims are from the Little Red Wagon truck.  It wont have a front bumper at all.  Its going along good.  

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Small update on the '57 gasser.  I scratch built a battery tray to go on the firewall and did some more smoothing on the firewall itself.  And then I noticed when the nose of the car was flipped forward....I kept thinking something was missing.  Then I figured it out.  It needed some sort of representation of door hinges.  I just took some simple strips of plastic and glued them in place.  It may not be exactly correct, but will look better than nothing at all.  Adding those "hinges" actually helped keep the flip-nose aligned with the body and the panels stay even.

IMG_3161.JPG

Edited by Wolfangel
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't updated in a lil while, but with a few things going on here around the house.....just haven't been able to.  But, here is a small update on the '57 gasser.   I finally got a rolling chassis done and I'm onto the motor details.  I do have a small mock-up of the body on frame, the flip nose is working great and lines up really well.  I did cut off the lower fenders and glue them to the body so I wouldn't have to worry about them scraping up the body when its open, and I think it looks better.  Hopefully will have it done in another week or so. 

IMG_E3241.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

• Like 4

I decided to make a more realistic steering u-joint going from the firewall to the steering box. This is NON FUNCTIONAL. Take some small aluminum tubing....cut a slice down the middle....then taper the ends into a point....make 2 of them. The slide them over a slightly bent piece of solid rod....making sure the cut ends line up.....then cut the rod to the length you need. Here it is installed on my 57 Gasser. Im pretty sure these can possibly made functional....but for what I needed its fine.

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have been a little behind on updates.  With the holidays and everything else going on around here, I just didnt get time to post anything.  BUT, here is an update on the '57 Gasser.  I got the interior finally done (along with a metal flake steering wheel) (and yes, I see the injector marks....i didnt see them until it was painted, but you wont see them anyway when the car is together), the chassis and drivetrain are in and done and the motor is in except for the front pulleys and hoses.  Im not going full blown detail on this one, just mainly spark plug wires.  I may do more at a later date, but I am happy with what I have so far.  The body is now painted, which I will save for the reveal on what it looks like until later.  Im really happy how this is turning out and it being my first gasser model ever.

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

Edited by Wolfangel
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...