Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '72 Hurst/Olds Cutlass Kit

W-Machine

There was one minor re-issue, but it seemed to vanish very shortly after its release.

It may have been a limited release (as in number of copies made), but its lack of staying power could have been an indication that interest in the model had fizzled...

About a year ago, I started looking for the original release because I knew I would want to build this one again, and could not find the re-issue. I wound up going to Westbury Motorsports, and paid close to $30 for the kit. You can still get one here for $34.99...

http://www.westburymotorsports.com/scgi-bin/show.cgi?id=3978&section=Revell

Edited by fseva

• 1 month later...

I wish it could be built as a regular 4-4-2, not the Hurst version. The grille on the Hurst cars are fine for the Cutlass Supreme. But I like the '72 4-4-2 grille much better. It also be nice if it came with the 4-4-2 stripes. Unless these two items are in the box, Linda Vaughn in there or not, will not get me to part with my money.

Scott

• 5 months later...

The new Pace Car reissue with Linda Vaughan figure also has both the uptop and plain grille from the Cutlass Supreme kit.  It only has the one (stock) set of wheels, though.  Eggcrate grille is correct for Hurst/Olds 

Excellent! That's what prevented me from buying the Pace Car kit in the beginning! Good to see the uptop make it in the kit. I've always hated convertible kits with no uptop...........makes them incomplete to me. Now we get to see those crazy 'Bay kit prices come down. Some of those guys were asking waaaay to much for that!

Wasn't there talk at one time of this kit also being reissued with a hardtop body?  (I suppose that Revell's Product Planning Dept. always intended on releasing this kit a second time with the Linda Vaughn figure, so maybe they've now taken the convertible version "as far as they can go", and the hardtop will be in the next year or so)?!?

Wasn't there talk at one time of this kit also being reissued with a hardtop body?  (I suppose that Revell's Product Planning Dept. always intended on releasing this kit a second time with the Linda Vaughn figure, so maybe they've now taken the convertible version "as far as they can go", and the hardtop will be in the next year or so)?!?

Taken it "as far as they can go"? Still no "regular" 4-4-2 version of this kit.

Wouldn't a "regular" 4-4-2 convertible version of this kit become its third issue/release?  As much as I agree with you that a "regular" 4-4-2 version of this kit is needed, I might think that another reissue of the '72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible kit might result in a disappointing sales total for that "regular" 4-4-2 kit.  My thought would be that Revell needs to make a more major revision to this kit to generate a good sales/financial result; in my opinion, a major revision like issuing it in hardtop form.  (Maybe a "regular" 4-4-2 hardtop; I'd bet that would be a sales success!)

Edited by '70 Grande

I mentioned to Ed Sexton about a year ago that the grille was not right for the regular 442, and he was not aware of that.  I pointed out that ebay prices were very high, and that it might be time for a reissue even though the kit was only recently issued.  I also suggested they release it as a '71 442 with corrected grille and '71 taillights.  The interiors can be the same between '71 and '72, but '70 would require more tooling.

Edited by VRM

I mentioned to Ed Sexton about a year ago that the grille was not right for the regular 442, and he was not aware of that.  I pointed out that ebay prices were very high, and that it might be time for a reissue even though the kit was only recently issued.  I also suggested they release it as a '71 442 with corrected grille and '71 taillights.  The interiors can be the same between '71 and '72, but '70 would require more tooling.

Good point Steve - if they would tool up a correct '72 442 grille, I believe the ONLY other change required to create a '71 442 version would be the taillights.  For all the talk we hear about needing to create multiple versions from a basic tool, it doesn't get much easier than that.

On the subject of a 1970 variation of this tooling, I've always been a bit surprised that they chose to do a '72 H/O convertible instead of a 1970 442 W-30 hardtop.  Since the '70 W-30 is generally considered the apex Olds muscle car, it seems like that would have even more sales potential.

Who knows what the current plans are, but I'd wager that a 1970 version was planned back when this kit was originally developed.  The W-27 rear end that's included wasn't even available anymore by 1972.  The fact that it wasn't even mentioned in the instructions (at least in the first release) would seem to indicate that it was actually intended for a future release, logically a 1970 version.

If Revell would release a 1970 442 W-30 hardtop (Cutlass S body style) variation, as long as they would assure that the bumpers and hood would interchange onto the convertible body, that would open up additional future variations.  Along with a proper '71-'72 442 grille and '71 taillights, they'd have the ability to release hardtop or convertible versions for '70, '71, or '72.

On the subject of a 1970 variation of this tooling, I've always been a bit surprised that they chose to do a '72 H/O convertible instead of a 1970 442 W-30 hardtop.  Since the '70 W-30 is generally considered the apex Olds muscle car, it seems like that would have even more sales potential.

Robert....my thoughts exactly on the model year....but I did like the choice of the convertible (which of course, used the angular Cutlass Supreme rear quarters instead of the curved 'hump';rear quarters of the 442 hardtop).   A '70 442 or Cutlass Supreme 455 convertible was near the top of my "replica stock kitbash" build list for years....now we are oh-so-close to a kit-based version....keep those fingers crossed....I know I am.    TIM