Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where have you seen model cars in movies, TV shows ?

A decade ago James May had a series where he profiled popular toys.

In the Scalextric episode he recruited townsfolk to recreate the 3-mile track around the Brooklands curcuit using slot car track, racing two 1:32 cars.  Since half the Brooklands property had been redeveloped after racing was shut down in the late '30s or so, they had to traverse many obstacles.

Hour-long episode split over four parts on Dailymotion.

I was reminded of the Spitfire episode as well.

Then there was the one where he attempted to run a model train along a 10-mile rail-trail segment.  He failed that attempt, but some time later he did another episode where he tried it again with lessons learned from the previous episode (titled "James May's Great Train Race").

(There was also a completely separate production hosted by someone else that ran a larger live-steam powered locomotive across a 71-mile course tracing the route of a long-gone railway line in the Scottish Highlands.  This was a miniseries called The Biggest Little Railway In The World, and aired in 2018 or so.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Not a car but it was amusing to see Niles and Martin on Frasier building a model. The scene was actually about building the model and not just window dressing.

Frasier Model.jpeg

These two were the most interesting caricatures in the series. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching the 1954 movie Down Three Dark Streets on TCM just now, and spotted this toy truck with a familiar logo on the door (image from a poor quality YouTube dub):

1532481144_3darkstreets-02.jpg.a0e60fc8eec43a996abc32716d75799e.jpg

Sure enough, it's Revell (eBay image via Worthpoint):

revell-ford-toy-speedy_1_0bd7e190d2a63752e0b1de36c45732c4.jpg.942ff28a81a4d692f5222e7e660e2a5f.jpg

Wonder if Atlantis got the mold for this one? :lol:

(ETA: Who's going be first to say "What truck? All I see is Ruth Roman in lingerie!" :rolleyes:)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

11 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I was watching the 1954 movie Down Three Dark Streets on TCM just now, and spotted this toy truck with a familiar logo on the door (image from a poor quality YouTube dub):

Sure enough, it's Revell (eBay image via Worthpoint):

revell-ford-toy-speedy_1_0bd7e190d2a63752e0b1de36c45732c4.jpg.942ff28a81a4d692f5222e7e660e2a5f.jpg

Wonder if Atlantis got the mold for this one? :lol:

(ETA: Who's going be first to say "What truck? All I see is Ruth Roman in lingerie!" :rolleyes:)

Nah, everyone will be too busy complaining that the truck's body is not accurate to even notice hers. 🤪

• Haha 2