Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

22 minutes ago, 64SS350 said:

Got this new chair last Saturday for my model bench. Tired of the bar chair set up, noticed where many of you had desks and chairs. 

So I lowered the bench to desk height. Way comfy now...got clearanced chair for $45.

IMG_20181103_141020055.jpg

I need to get a decent chair again for my shop!

Since we moved a year ago, I've been using a kitchen chair!

What a pain in the arse!

Steve

1 minute ago, thatz4u said:

can't you get the parts from the NASCAR version?

Al buddy..sadly no the NASCAR version dose not have many of the parts I need for the one I have that was factory stock....My dad owned a 70 and 71 once..I loved those cars.  NASCAR kit only can provide the glass,and maybe the taillights for mine I have one of them its an old original sealed MPC NASCAR kit that was supposed to have the factory stock version but only shows the NASCAR version on the sides of the box.

1 hour ago, thatz4u said:

got these at the Dayton show..kit bashing in my future...also got 69 Riv., 69 Cougar, 66 Fairlane 427, & misc. parts

mc2.jpg

That is sweet Al!

That stock version '71 Cyclone is a real prize!!

I would love to find one, but you rarely see them, and when you do, they cost a fortune as a rule.

Nice addition to your stash!

Steve

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Anyone ever see one of these?

5bdf2ff4268ec_johanexactscale.jpg.1020f92742caaa0d46721e2bf7477eed.jpg

Is this an acetate or styrene promo?

Yes I have.

It is a promo, and being a '59 by Johan, my guess is that it is acetate.

I don't believe they changed the plastic for the promos until around '62 or '63.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

22 minutes ago, slusher said:

Never seen one,.....

There are actually quite a few of these '59 Fleetwoods around.

Johan did the original promo & kit in '59.

X-EL re-popped them in the 80s.

If you happen to be looking for one, you would be best advised to stay away from the original promo which of course is prone to warpage.

If possible, find an original kit or the X-EL promo.

They are made of styrene plastic and will not warp like the original promo.

Steve

image.png.46bc1ab13bc0d37e5172e067f0464fbc.png

Auction lot win.....

Mannix is complete.  Not a bad brush paint job but seller snapped passenger A-pillar due to poor packing

1966 Buick Skylark....needs hood (Modelhaus doesn't make one)....unpainted

1966 AMC Rambler....custom bumpers are missing as is the hood.....unpainted

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

These came from the same show as my post above. This was a trade between vintagedragcrazy (Vince) and myself. We had agreed to the trade about a month ago but he suggested that we meet at this show. He is the first forum member that I've met and he is nicer in person than he is on your screen. Great guy.

potbellys 002.jpg

potbellys 003.jpg

4 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Picked these up at the Oregon Society of Scale Modelers event yesterday.  The 3 on the left were picked up from vendors and the 2 on the right were door prizes.

SAM_1728.JPG.0c0b6a0c2c78473302d8d4a85d1054ab.JPG

I'm envious! The '66 Corvair was one of my very first model cars. All I have left of it is the instruction sheet. I have several of the '69 reissues, of course, but I'd love to own a real, original '66 box and the parts that were unique to (or last seen in) that year--wheels, turbo parts, etc. 

46 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm envious! The '66 Corvair was one of my very first model cars. All I have left of it is the instruction sheet. I have several of the '69 reissues, of course, but I'd love to own a real, original '66 box and the parts that were unique to (or last seen in) that year--wheels, turbo parts, etc. 

And I got it at what I consider a reasonable price.  There is no decal sheet, but that doesn't bother me.  There is custom bodywork unique to the 66.  I also have a 67 unbuilt (with the Yenko stinger decals).  The 57 bird has all the custom parts and the Superbird is complete as well, but it is molded in blue.  But, that is not a problem for me.  When I build it, it will only be the 3rd Mopar I've done.

Anyone else make it to Model Empire today for the annual sale? I went up with Tom Piagari today and we had a great time despite the heavy rain. Prices ranged from bargains to are you kidding (I've seen that built-up Aurora Meat Wagon ambulance at least twice at $89 - look forward to seeing it next year).

A few (very) quick-and-dirty shots of what I picked up today:

P1140092.JPG.5d030a2a8bedafd57a0dc38a27afdf7d.JPG

Happily not a gluebomb; hopefully the black paint is the kind that comes off easily. May be future trade or eBay material.

P1140099.JPG.eccd878ec57df95e0cecb0421fe358dc.JPG

Original issue (metal axles) Jo-Han '63 Plymouth; clean build minus one parking light (Tom has molds so we can cast them in clear resin).

P1140095.JPG.bee030fee1f3e3a72d9672b9f593c2d4.JPG

'64 Comet with convertible conversion started; so far so good. Not sure where the boot came from (Falcon vert?). I'll copy the sun visors from my '63.

P1140105.JPG.b970299e87dbddf831a7f77994197ebf.JPG

Very good '65 T-bird promo; give it a good cleaning, touch up the chrome, and done. Not bad for $5.00.

Gluebomb time - '59 Bonneville:

P1140103.JPG.5009e46222127e9467a0a386a528d3b4.JPG

This old dog is complete (with wheels) but sadly beyond saving, since much of the body appears to have had glue brushed all over it :blink:. Saving grace is that the roof and rear glass are salvageable, so my convertible can become a hardtop. The rest can be parted out.

Also went through their parts stash until my eyes shriveled, but got some useful bits like NOS '61 Comet, '61 Pontiac and '62-63 Chevy Nova taillight bezels, and last but not least an MCG photoetch set for the '57 Ford.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

13 hours ago, HomerS said:

Auction lot win.....

Mannix is complete.  Not a bad brush paint job but seller snapped passenger A-pillar due to poor packing

1966 Buick Skylark....needs hood (Modelhaus doesn't make one)....unpainted

1966 AMC Rambler....custom bumpers are missing as is the hood.....unpainted

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

Nice scores there..!   I have the curbside 66 Buick Skylark from my dads old collection...wish parts for the old ones were easier to find.

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Anyone else make it to Model Empire today for the annual sale? I went up with Tom Piagari today and we had a great time despite the heavy rain. Prices ranged from bargains to are you kidding (I've seen that built-up Aurora Meat Wagon ambulance at least twice at $89 - look forward to seeing it next year).

I did notice the Tom Daniel Drag'n Fly built up was no longer present yesterday, but did see the Aurora Meat Wagon at the end of the shelf. :D

I picked up a bunch of parts bags, one of which contained AMT '63 Riviera and '58 Edsel (annual) built ups, as well as 1/16 Shelby Cobra and '63 Vette kits, a built 1/1 Shaker trike, an Opel Blitz truck, an AMT '40 Ford Coupe (they must've had seven or eight of these) and Revell '57 Ranchero original issue boxes, a handful of large scale decal sheets, and unbuilt but damaged Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 910 earlier at Serb Hall.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...