Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I was happy to get this 60 Desoto off ebay for $25 including shipping. Nice clean model but they packed it in a box so tight the fin tips poked through & broke off. I can fix it but I wish I didn't have to. Oh well, more work. I'm just happy to finally have one.

SUNP0006.JPG

SUNP0008.JPG

SUNP0007.JPG

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0005.JPG

Bought this ebay lot mainly for the 49 ford and Mercury.  The Ford looks like 57 chevy fenders were grafted. hoods glued down. 

These are very nice builds across the board. The merc will just be cleaned up and the 49 ford needs some new leaf springs. First time having these old monogram kits, seem like pretty nice kits.

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

5 hours ago, mchook said:

I was happy to get this 60 Desoto off ebay for $25 including shipping. Nice clean model but they packed it in a box so tight the fin tips poked through & broke off. I can fix it but I wish I didn't have to. Oh well, more work. I'm just happy to finally have one.

SUNP0006.JPG

SUNP0008.JPG

SUNP0007.JPG

SUNP0002.JPG

SUNP0005.JPG

That sux, I have one I bought a few years ago sealed and when I opened the chassis was broken. 

Picked this up recently. From my research it looks to be an MPC model. A couple things about it have me puzzled. It looks to be molded in grey. All the pics I've seen of the MPC kit are molded in white. I can't find a pic of this hood either. I'm stripping the black off the underside of the hood to see if it is the same grey color. If anyone here is familiar with this kit I could use your knowledge.

Snake?

vette66 004.jpeg

vette66_001.jpg

vette66 002.jpg

vette66 003.jpg

49 minutes ago, DPNM said:

Picked this up recently. From my research it looks to be an MPC model. A couple things about it have me puzzled. It looks to be molded in grey. All the pics I've seen of the MPC kit are molded in white. I can't find a pic of this hood either. I'm stripping the black off the underside of the hood to see if it is the same grey color. If anyone here is familiar with this kit I could use your knowledge.

Snake?

vette66 004.jpeg

That's an MPC '66. I have three of them and all are molded in gray--very unusual for the time. The tires of course are much newer--they look like AMTs--and I couldn't tell you what the wheels are from. I've never seen a hood like that so it' probably modified, possibly aftermarket. 

That's a nice find. If it were mine, I'd polish out the nice blue paint (very similar in color to Model Master Nassau Blue) and restore it as a nice survivor. You wouldn't want to trade it, would you? 

44 minutes ago, wrenchr said:

I have a feeling that hood is modified. 

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I've never seen a hood like that so it' probably modified, possibly aftermarket. 

It doesn't appear modified to me. The MPC kits I've looked at have the Y shape integrated into the scoop as the 1 to 1 does. This one is square.

I appreciate the reply Snake. I figured you would know. I'm not ready to trade it. Not sure what all I'll do to restore it. I want to strip the chassis and interior.

vette66.jpg

1 minute ago, DPNM said:

vette66.jpg

If this is the underside of the hood on the blue 'Vette, it is modified and is an AMT hood.  The AMT '67 coupe had that hood, and it stayed in the kit when it was backdated to '63 spec.  It's still in that kit, and also in recent issues of the '63 roadster which is essentially the coupe kit with a different body.

And that hood just could be molded in a similar gray...Lesney/AMT molded the '63 kit in that color for the Barris Cruisin' USA issue.  They kept the Street Rods series issue going alongside the Barris issue too; same parts, same color, different box, decals, tires, and instruction sheet.

That does appear to be the source Mark. Thank you! It does look like the center hole was filled in with a piece of plastic and, from what I've seen since you posted, the raised parts on the top of the hood that held "vents" has been sanded smooth. Whoever did it did a good job to my eye.

Went to HL, my LHS, and Harbor Freight today. No GMC Jimmy or International COE yet. But I did pick up two $11 HF air brushes after seeing a review on Youtube. Very convenient little devices. The brush never needs cleaning (just the jars) and I has a decent spray pattern. I bought two just so I could have more siphon jars. They will pay for themselves just from the lacquer thinner I will not need to waste cleaning my other airbrushes.

$11 airbrush kit.jpg

Edited by Bills72sj
grammar

1 hour ago, Mark said:

If this is the underside of the hood on the blue 'Vette, it is modified and is an AMT hood.  The AMT '67 coupe had that hood, and it stayed in the kit when it was backdated to '63 spec.  It's still in that kit, and also in recent issues of the '63 roadster which is essentially the coupe kit with a different body.

Ah, NOW I see it! I've never seen one with the top hole and side vents filled before. I have a number of those things in my parts. I'll have to so mod and use one sometime. Thanks! B)

34 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Went to HL, my LHS, and Harbor Freight today. No GMC Jimmy or International COE yet. But I did pick up two $11 HF air brushes after seeing a review on Youtube. Very convenient little devices. The brush never needs cleaning (just the jars) and I has a decent spray pattern. I bought two just so I could have more siphon jars. They will pay for themselves just from the lacquer thinner I will not need to waste cleaning my other airbrushes.

$11 airbrush kit.jpg

I'll have to check those out. 

On 1/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, mchook said:

SUNP0008.JPG

Do you need a set of stock taillights? I got a set from Okey Spaulding I won't be using - PM me if you want 'em.

Got the '64-'65 Mopar console, big thanks to Casey - looks like it will be a good fit for the custom '62 Newport once the pin is trimmed off:

1292569808_62chryslercustominterior.JPG.bf9d02c051013a92bf3b17142445abb0.JPG

And the long-tailed '62 Falcon has landed on my table; pretty much a survivor minus grille, front nerfs and one taillight:

IMG_0454.JPG.55f259925d35e23451c46dcab284b943.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG.17419a4d1555d2d24a8981e5c4aadc85.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG.953a9b3fe1fae9190872c86224315c24.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG.122e4229284deda2c6f187713f863c05.JPG

Note the car club plaque:

IMG_0456.JPG.ea2e27294651e9bc0e6952daad62aebf.JPG

"Yukon Drifters, Alaska", with a roadster popping out of an igloo. I think that may be a Revell item? Anyone know?

I'll have to think about what to do with it; the front half is nearly untouched and would make a better donor for the '62 Ranchero project than the promo body I have.

And a bit of trivia: These wire wheels, surprisingly, have valve stems. I can't think of any other AMT kits from that era with that detail...?

On 1/23/2021 at 8:17 PM, Bills72sj said:

$11 airbrush kit.jpg

Are those glass or plastic jars????... I bought that same air brush kit from H.F. a few years ago....

42 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

Are those glass or plastic jars????... I bought that same air brush kit from H.F. a few years ago....

They are plastic. So far they have been resistant to straight lacquer thinner. I have separate glass jars but the threads are slightly off and will not screw on tight.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...