DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

DSC_0790%202.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

DSC_0790%204.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0813_1.jpg

I really like your wagon projects. The Woody looks like you're adding Continental rear fenders and maybe front end.  The '59 Pontiac is a good looking casting, I might think about that one myself. The '62 Chevy is a must do. Where can I find that casting ? The sedan with the sun roof looks like a Charger front and rear body panels.

38 minutes ago, om617 said:

Great thread and nice projects.

Have a couple,not super old.

DSC_0784.jpg

Your wagons are cool subjects, I have to do my '57 Chevy 4 door wagon someday.  But I'm surprised to see this Audi Quattro in the mix!  Appears the engine is a resin aftermarket part?  I got a full resin S1 Quattro kit this year.  Good luck getting these finished!

1 hour ago, espo said:

I really like your wagon projects. The Woody looks like you're adding Continental rear fenders and maybe front end.  The '59 Pontiac is a good looking casting, I might think about that one myself. The '62 Chevy is a must do. Where can I find that casting ? The sedan with the sun roof looks like a Charger front and rear body panels.

48 Lincoln front end and rear fenders on 48 Ford woody.  59 Pontiac is an annual with resin roof and pillars,needs doorhandles and some massage at the rear

using Flintstone 59 ambulance rear bumper,tail lights etc. I dont know,i made it using AMT 62 Bel Air and resin junker body roof section.  71 AMT Charger where

i lifted the trunk and quarterpanels,scribed some doorlines and made window frames,is more like an "what if".

49 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Your wagons are cool subjects, I have to do my '57 Chevy 4 door wagon someday.  But I'm surprised to see this Audi Quattro in the mix!  Appears the engine is a resin aftermarket part?  I got a full resin S1 Quattro kit this year.  Good luck getting these finished!

Thanks! I look forward to see the 57 4door,those are cool. There are 5-6 european projects,did not want to flood this page lol. You are correct,the engine and trans are

the drivetrain out of the Profil 24 S1. I did build an new exhaust manifoil and add a much bigger turbo,and consider do somthing about the plenum as well,even if very

cool. Waiting for the new Beemax S1,it will donate hood,grille and small stuff. If i can figure out casting small parts i will make some copies of the grille for own use. 

The rest i plan to use to bash another Tamiya kit to make an Sport Quattro "stradale" version,most likely curbside.  This one where meant to be a street machine.

Good idea for a thread.  I can fill a page or two with my abandoned projects!

There are a couple of Willys projects.  One is a highboy and the other is a pro street van.  Both were inspired by magazine articles.

2010_073133Willys0028.thumb.JPG.e1258a7ca910da39cef52bd4133205df.JPG

2010_0814_Primed0003.thumb.JPG.1e8be45b62c87556e6edc757c2091ba9.JPG2007_0826WillysVan0001.JPG.57967a3ed3faebfc0cfaae95874f90ac.JPG2008_0107Primer0007.thumb.JPG.73d36786435f79e3d058a0021de36381.JPG

Edited by mvadrag
pictures too small

30 minutes ago, mvadrag said:

Good idea for a thread.  I can fill a page or two with my abandoned projects!

There are a couple of Willys projects.  One is a highboy and the other is a pro street van.  Both were inspired by magazine articles.

2010_073133Willys0028.thumb.JPG.e1258a7ca910da39cef52bd4133205df.JPG

2010_0814_Primed0003.thumb.JPG.1e8be45b62c87556e6edc757c2091ba9.JPG2007_0826WillysVan0001c.JPG.bbcb5ca7d687082d88fa1b58b479187f.JPG2008_0107Primer0007.thumb.JPG.73d36786435f79e3d058a0021de36381.JPG

VERY MOST WAY EXTREMELY COOL!!! Over on "the other board" a guy started a '33 Willy as a fenderless Altered and it was one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen. I don't know why no one ever did that in real life. (Dunno if he ever finished that model or not.) 

I see on the van you returned the outside corners of the front fenders to their stock contours. This is something just about no one catches when they go to make something else out of the AMT Malco Gasser based kit. Well done and drive on! B)

Great thread & pics. I have so many models that were started & never finished. Also have a ton of my old builds that I started to rebuild,but those are for another thread.

I started this IMSA style Datsun PU in 1982. Got it this far & never finished. Mid eng.Hemi power.Scratch built rollcage & custom bodywork.

The shorty VW bus was started in 1976 & not worked on again till 2005. Still not done.

The Dodge van was started in 1977 when vans were the rage.Lots of custom bodywork & interior.

Dodge RamBurban Dually was begun in 1996. Traded it off soon after & just got it back in 2016.

1957 Chevy vert was started in 1997 for a contest. Was building it in the Boyd style. Had problems with the clear and put it away.

Caddy pu I started in 2002. Have gotten it out a few times over the years,but this is how it sits today,unfinished.

Last one, well for now, is my Dodge welder truck I started in 2003 for GSL that same year. Scratch most of the frame,suspension,utility bed,welder,bumpers,opened

the doors,wired & plumbed,etc. Ton of hours in 3 months time. Thrashed on it till the early hours before we left for the contest,but didnt finish.

Never finished it. Who knows,maybe it will be done for the 2019 show. Enjoy.

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a10.jpg

a13.jpg

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

a9.jpg

1 hour ago, Lordmodelbuilder said:

Great thread & pics. I have so many models that were started & never finished. Also have a ton of my old builds that I started to rebuild,but those are for another thread.

I started this IMSA style Datsun PU in 1982. Got it this far & never finished. Mid eng.Hemi power.Scratch built rollcage & custom bodywork.

The shorty VW bus was started in 1976 & not worked on again till 2005. Still not done.

The Dodge van was started in 1977 when vans were the rage.Lots of custom bodywork & interior.

Dodge RamBurban Dually was begun in 1996. Traded it off soon after & just got it back in 2016.

1957 Chevy vert was started in 1997 for a contest. Was building it in the Boyd style. Had problems with the clear and put it away.

Caddy pu I started in 2002. Have gotten it out a few times over the years,but this is how it sits today,unfinished.

Last one, well for now, is my Dodge welder truck I started in 2003 for GSL that same year. Scratch most of the frame,suspension,utility bed,welder,bumpers,opened

the doors,wired & plumbed,etc. Ton of hours in 3 months time. Thrashed on it till the early hours before we left for the contest,but didnt finish.

Never finished it. Who knows,maybe it will be done for the 2019 show. Enjoy.

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a10.jpg

a13.jpg

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

a9.jpg

I like that pickup with the 59 caddy front. Looks Awesome 

4 hours ago, om617 said:

Thanks! I look forward to see the 57 4door,those are cool. There are 5-6 european projects,did not want to flood this page lol. You are correct,the engine and trans are

the drivetrain out of the Profil 24 S1. I did build an new exhaust manifoil and add a much bigger turbo,and consider do somthing about the plenum as well,even if very

cool. Waiting for the new Beemax S1,it will donate hood,grille and small stuff. If i can figure out casting small parts i will make some copies of the grille for own use. 

The rest i plan to use to bash another Tamiya kit to make an Sport Quattro "stradale" version,most likely curbside.  This one where meant to be a street machine.

Permatex Red RTV works very well for making molds, especially for small parts.  About 1/8" to 3/16" thick will cure  overnight (or less time).  Easier to mix about 1/20th by volume flour (yup, plain old kitchen flour) - then you can layer 5/16" and have it harden in less than two hours.  This RTV uses H2O in the atmosphere to harden, and flour has enough (I think that's what happens).  I recommend MicroMark CR-300 for casting resin - low odor, quick cure, excellent to work.  It does not adhere well to smooth surfaces.

Edited by GerN

Wow!  Dirk woke me up by quoting my original post!  I hadn't seen this thread was back from the dead until now.

Nope, the VW is still sitting.  I would like to get back to it.  Funny, the last few real oldies I pulled back onto the bench required total reworks that didn't leave much of the original work intact.  Maybe the VW will be one of those.

But I'll offer up this project as another long languishing project.  One that winds up on the bench every few years, progresses a bit, then gets pushed aside once again.

plywagon3-vi.jpg

interior3-vi.jpg

This puppy was started back when this was a cheap kit.  Cheap enough that we didn't care if we cut a few up.  I got just so far and realized that my body splice wasn't straight. I also had puttied over recessed door handles and had issues with scribing proper door lines.  So in the box she went.   It's been out a few times since.  At one point a friend said he had side slabs from a project.  It took a few reminders to get them, and when I did, the door handles had been sanded flat.   Another attempt, someone online sent me door handles, but cut them too close to splice into the body.  I tried carving  and the whole body shattered in my hands.   So take three... or was that four... or maybe even five... and we took another brand new body, and this was just a few years ago once they were pricey, and redid the entire thing.   That's the photos you see here...  a body that sits straight with door handles!  

And somehow it got put aside again.  So she sits!    

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

VERY MOST WAY EXTREMELY COOL!!! Over on "the other board" a guy started a '33 Willy as a fenderless Altered and it was one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen. I don't know why no one ever did that in real life. (Dunno if he ever finished that model or not.) 

I see on the van you returned the outside corners of the front fenders to their stock contours. This is something just about no one catches when they go to make something else out of the AMT Malco Gasser based kit. Well done and drive on! B)

Snake45, I was that guy on "the other board", still haven't returned to finish it.  Hence, this submittal...

These are the unfinished Ford GT40s from a project I started in 2002 to show the evolution of the GT40s.  I was shooting for the Toledo NNL and really pushed to get all of them done and literally burned out before they were all complete.  Some of these only need detailing to be finished but I have not gotten to them yet for a number of different reasons.

The unpainted white one is a 1/24 Strombecker JCar slot narrowed down the center.  The green GT40 is a SMTS resin kit,  the red GT40 #14 is a Fujimi, the red MKIV is a Le Mans Miniature resin, the Mirage is Mini Exotics, the red MKII roadster is a CMA resin,  and the white  and blue one is a Fujimi center section with Cox slot car front and rear clips grafted on.

5b8428993ea8d_Ford_GT40project_1035.jpg.4c05aaf62958b47ef086f155566fe69d.jpg

39 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

The unpainted white one is a 1/24 Strombecker JCar slot narrowed down the center.  The green GT40 is a SMTS resin kit,  the red GT40 #14 is a Fujimi, the red MKIV is a Le Mans Miniature resin, the Mirage is Mini Exotics, the red MKII roadster is a CMA resin,  and the white  and blue one is a Fujimi center section with Cox slot car front and rear clips grafted on.

Great stuff Gary. The J-Car and the early GT in particular.

53 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

These are the unfinished Ford GT40s from a project I started in 2002 to show the evolution of the GT40s.  I was shooting for the Toledo NNL and really pushed to get all of them done and literally burned out before they were all complete.  Some of these only need detailing to be finished but I have not gotten to them yet for a number of different reasons.

5b8428993ea8d_Ford_GT40project_1035.jpg.4c05aaf62958b47ef086f155566fe69d.jpg

I really dig that Mirage. I have the Mini Exotics resin kit, but have never built it because I think the door and other panel lines are extremely crudely executed (like drawing them into modeling clay with a pencil point). Did you fill all those in and rescribe them, or fix them in some way? Because yours looks pretty darn good in this pic. 

I love it!  Glad to see this thread is popular again.  Perhaps this will inspire us to actually finish something!

This is the Hasagawa VW Bus, with parts from the Tamiya snap-tite Porsche Speedster wheels, engine bottom, seats, dash, headlights and turn signals.  I added two more windows at the back, that was an easy modification.  The problem area is the A-pillars after I tilted back the windshield.  And what to do to finish the interior around all the windows, and if I should hinge some of the windows.  And I want to add LED lights and fiber optics.  And I want to remove the giant VW emblem so the paint will go on well, want a photo-etch to replace with.  And ... and .... and ........

8261807611_bdd4529764_k.jpg

19 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I really dig that Mirage. I have the Mini Exotics resin kit, but have never built it because I think the door and other panel lines are extremely crudely executed (like drawing them into modeling clay with a pencil point). Did you fill all those in and rescribe them, or fix them in some way? Because yours looks pretty darn good in this pic. 

Fortunately my panel lines on the Mirage were OK.

5 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I love it!  Glad to see this thread is popular again.  Perhaps this will inspire us to actually finish something!

This is the Hasagawa VW Bus, with parts from the Tamiya snap-tite Porsche Speedster wheels, engine bottom, seats, dash, headlights and turn signals.  I added two more windows at the back, that was an easy modification.  The problem area is the A-pillars after I tilted back the windshield.  And what to do to finish the interior around all the windows, and if I should hinge some of the windows.  And I want to add LED lights and fiber optics.  And I want to remove the giant VW emblem so the paint will go on well, want a photo-etch to replace with.  And ... and .... and ........

8261807611_bdd4529764_k.jpg

Fuchs on a VW bus, how cool.