Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

In recent months I have tried to make some deals on trades with some members and what was initially negotiated got changed around to other items and just when I thought we had something figured out, they change their minds and back out. Frustrating as I try to be upfront with trades and I understand things happen but if you tell me you want my 72 whatever for your 69 something and I agree to it, don't decide at the last minute to see if I will take a half built NASCAR model instead!

If I list some models for trade and am fairly specific in my wants, then what is the point in asking if I would take something totally different?

Not saying I am giving up on trading but I am really going to be selective in the future, especially considering the time involved and expense of shipping.

Going back to the contest debate... and not to point at anyone here since I understand this is an academic debate. My experience is that those who will take the short cut of using a prefinished body, or commissioning someone else to paint a body, will also make short cuts in other areas. Scheming, instead of working, is in that person's makeup. Thus, while the body will stand out, that modelers interior, engine and chassis will never match the paint job quality and it is readily apparent.

Back when I got into building 25 years ago, you could get away with prefinished bodies etc, but the cutting edge at shows has gone well beyond that. Models I built and won with in that era aren't even competitive today. And that's the way it should be, that cutting edge is ever moving forward.

There is nothing wrong with paying someone to paint a body for you. There is a fellow, I believe his name was Brian, who did amazing real flame paint jobs. I can imagine the number of folks who would want one of those on their shelf. And it should stop there. Things you bought should be displayed, but never entered in contests. It's a matter of honor and honestly. And for those who "win" under those situations, the first person they have cheated is themselves!

And the worst are guys who tow along kids while they do this. Great examples they are to their children!

I remember back a few years ago that there was someone advertising in the magazines that they would paint and sell current model kit bodies and always wondered if someone used that service to build a model for a show?

I have never entered a contest and probably never will but just found the topic somewhat interesting. I agree that the model entered should reflect the skill of the builder and not his pocketbook.

...And for those who "win" under those situations, the first person they have cheated is themselves!

And the worst are guys who tow along kids while they do this. Great examples they are to their children!

Unfortunately the urge to cheat seems to be hard-wired into rather a lot of humans, and studies of other primates seem to back this up.

NOT cheating is a moral choice, which relies on a conscious decision, and conscious decision-making is supposedly one of the primary things separating us from the rest of the animals. But if following a baser instinct is condoned and acted-out by a parental role model, it's a never ending cycle.

Going back to the contest debate... and not to point at anyone here since I understand this is an academic debate. My experience is that those who will take the short cut of using a prefinished body, or commissioning someone else to paint a body, will also make short cuts in other areas. Scheming, instead of working, is in that person's makeup. Thus, while the body will stand out, that modelers interior, engine and chassis will never match the paint job quality and it is readily apparent.

Back when I got into building 25 years ago, you could get away with prefinished bodies etc, but the cutting edge at shows has gone well beyond that. Models I built and won with in that era aren't even competitive today. And that's the way it should be, that cutting edge is ever moving forward.

There is nothing wrong with paying someone to paint a body for you. There is a fellow, I believe his name was Brian, who did amazing real flame paint jobs. I can imagine the number of folks who would want one of those on their shelf. And it should stop there. Things you bought should be displayed, but never entered in contests. It's a matter of honor and honestly. And for those who "win" under those situations, the first person they have cheated is themselves!

Amen.

Oooh, I am a baaaad boy!....and was it fun! Got one of those annoying phone calls today from India. I am sure many of you have had them before. I seem to get two or three a year with the same scam. "Hello, My name is David I am calling from the Microsoft Security department and your computer has been sending us alerts about....." They are trying to get me to log onto their web site so they can extract information or hack my computer. Well, I had some time and decided to play with them. "Can you go to your computer?" Oh, I am so glad you called. Yes I will go there now. Put them on speaker and finish cleaning up the kitchen. "Is your computer on?" Oh, it takes a while to start. "Ok"...."is it on yet?" No not yet, it is just slow. After seven or eight minutes I hang up. Well, they figure they have a sucker on the line and call back. "I sorry by my line seems to have gone down, is the computer up?" Yes. "Look at your keyboard. Do you see the Windows button?" Windows button? no. "Do you see the control key?" Control key,..no I see an alt button. "No, the ctrl button." I see an ASDF. "Focus on the lower left corner of your keyboard" Keyboard? After about 25 minutes of this they are getting quite loud and a little annoyed. Finally one of them(I think there were a couple of others involved) Shouts "Are you stupid?" I reply, No actually I am rather bright and hopefully I have given you a reason to not call me back. He starts yelling about me wasting his time and I laugh at him. He then starts cursing and using foul language and I laugh louder. He hangs up. First time I have gotten them to hang up on me. I hope they call back. I would like to play this game again!

Oooh, I am a baaaad boy!....and was it fun! Got one of those annoying phone calls today from India. I am sure many of you have had them before. I seem to get two or three a year with the same scam. "Hello, My name is David I am calling from the Microsoft Security department and your computer has been sending us alerts about....." They are trying to get me to log onto their web site so they can extract information or hack my computer. Well, I had some time and decided to play with them. "Can you go to your computer?" Oh, I am so glad you called. Yes I will go there now. Put them on speaker and finish cleaning up the kitchen. "Is your computer on?" Oh, it takes a while to start. "Ok"...."is it on yet?" No not yet, it is just slow. After seven or eight minutes I hang up. Well, they figure they have a sucker on the line and call back. "I sorry by my line seems to have gone down, is the computer up?" Yes. "Look at your keyboard. Do you see the Windows button?" Windows button? no. "Do you see the control key?" Control key,..no I see an alt button. "No, the ctrl button." I see an ASDF. "Focus on the lower left corner of your keyboard" Keyboard? After about 25 minutes of this they are getting quite loud and a little annoyed. Finally one of them(I think there were a couple of others involved) Shouts "Are you stupid?" I reply, No actually I am rather bright and hopefully I have given you a reason to not call me back. He starts yelling about me wasting his time and I laugh at him. He then starts cursing and using foul language and I laugh louder. He hangs up. First time I have gotten them to hang up on me. I hope they call back. I would like to play this game again!

thumbs_up_bciy.jpg

:lol:

Beautiful!

I've been getting a whole raft of those calls, too, and a whole bunch of other ones lately. I think the do-not-call list may need to be re-registered.

Charlie Larkin

:lol:

Beautiful!

I've been getting a whole raft of those calls, too, and a whole bunch of other ones lately. I think the do-not-call list may need to be re-registered.

Charlie Larkin

If you're getting repetitive unwanted calls on a cell phone, your service provider (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) has a feature that allows you to block a specific number, so that you never know they're calling no matter how many times they try. With Verizon, it only lasts 90 days, but you can renew it if 90 days doesn't discourage the caller. Great stuff. And, it doesn't cost anything. Even better!

Now, we just need an unwanted poster block feature. :lol:

Changing the subject... I get irked by the names people are giving to kids! And they grow up and walk around with those names! This morning on TV someone admitted to having a daughter named Sloan... "um yea, my parents named me after a plumbing supply company!" Then on a show my wife is watching there was a conversation between Shay and Creek...

Changing the subject... I get irked by the names people are giving to kids! And they grow up and walk around with those names! This morning on TV someone admitted to having a daughter named Sloan... "um yea, my parents named me after a plumbing supply company!" Then on a show my wife is watching there was a conversation between Shay and Creek...

Oh don't get me started.

G

If you're getting repetitive unwanted calls on a cell phone, your service provider (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) has a feature that allows you to block a specific number, so that you never know they're calling no matter how many times they try. With Verizon, it only lasts 90 days, but you can renew it if 90 days doesn't discourage the caller. Great stuff. And, it doesn't cost anything. Even better!

Now, we just need an unwanted poster block feature. :lol:

I tried that and ran into the problem that they mask their phone number so it shows as "Private" on caller ID. You can't block that even with the automatic feature. Compound that with the fact that they use multiple phone numbers and I have been unsuccessful in blocking them, so I moved on to giving them a financial reason to stop calling. If I waste enough of their time they will realize that it is not productive to call.

Edited by Pete J.