Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

Now that is definitely a proper looking scale engine, it even has the automatic choke heat tube. (FYI: the tended to wrap them with a white asbestos cloth).

nice job!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Yeah Mike, some pics I have show the tube wrapped and some don't. I don't think I want to tempt fate at this point and try to paint it.........it would be my luck that I'd get paint someplace it shouldn't be! :o

Bob, I can't give you an hour figure-----I started the thread on July 4th, so it's been not quite three months. There are periods when I'm able to work on it for several days in a row, and then there are times when I may not look at it for a few days. This will take me at least into late fall, if not early winter before I'm done. That'll depend if there's not a major SNAFU along the way.

Looking at the chassis right now, I've run into a bit more detail I'll have to do in the exhaust area------that's making some kind of rubber "donut" mounts for it. Then there's some soldering I'm going to do to make the emergency brake cables as I want them attached to that "horseshoe" that attaches both cables.

Other than that, so far so good!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! Yeah Mike, some pics I have show the tube wrapped and some don't. I don't think I want to tempt fate at this point and try to paint it.........it would be my luck that I'd get paint someplace it shouldn't be! :o

that "FYI" was just for future reference and it was rather hit or miss on whether it would still be on a car if you didn't get it new from the factory.

no need to tempt fate when it's going so well thus far. :)

Great post! Thank you so much for all the info on correcting this kit. I remember when this kit was released, there was a loud groan over the missing trim, but I never saw such a specific set of corrections! Kudos! I love everything about this build, and am keeping a keen eye on your '59 as well. Thanks again!

Rusty, thanks for the nice compliment! I've had this kit ever since it was intro'd back in '94, and while I wasn't a loud complainer over the inaccurate details (hadn't paid much attention to them back then), I knew there was always something not quite right about it.

Nevertheless, I like to try to make this as complete as possible, although I'm sure I'll miss a few details here and there------such is model building.

There won't be any more updates for this one until probably closer to the end of the month. I'll be leaving to head out of town in the next couple days, and won't be back home until the end of next week. After traveling so long, I may not be in the mood to build anything until a couple days after I get back. I did manage to make an emergency brake cable setup for it (some soldering was needed), and the levers and such that go with it.

Thanks for following along, and I'm glad that I can be informative!

Amazing attention to detail. I just realized you are the guy building the amazing 59 Impala.

Thanks Tommy! On a side note about the Impala..........I was playing around with Micro-Marks vacuform machine the other day as I wanted to make new glass for the car. It didn't look half bad! The windshield had one little "bubble" on it I didn't like, but no terrible distortion that plagues the kit glass.

I just need to practice with a few more PETG sheets, and I hope to have it down pat. That was the main thing holding up progress on it. Down the road, I'd like to compose a how-to and video here on how the machine works, and the pros and cons of it.

Once the Mustang is done, I'll be right back building 'er. ;)

On a side note about the Impala..........I was playing around with Micro-Marks vacuform machine the other day as I wanted to make new glass for the car. It didn't look half bad! The windshield had one little "bubble" on it I didn't like, but no terrible distortion that plagues the kit glass.

I have an original Mattel Vac-u-form machine. There is a company that makes the perforated sheets today. I use it mainly to make glass. I find that one out of three is good enough to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Fellas, I haven't forgotten about this one--------life's gotten in the way with 10-12 hour days at work among other things, which literally leaves me little to no time to work on it save for Sundays. Chassis is about done, and then I'll move on to the interior.

When time (and I have enough pics) allows, I'll post pics. However, because I've not given an update for awhile, doesn't mean the WIP is not happening.

Just very slowly at this point.

• 1 month later...

You guys thought I'd abandoned this one eh?? Not on your life! Just involved with another model project (top secret) so this one has to be second rate at times. I did manage to finally get the chassis and interior done. Not a lot of explanation on how I did things------I'm changing the way I do WIP's inasmuch as I won't get much into the "how-to's" in a build much anymore. With my time being at a premium these days, it can truly be a lot of work to compose a step by step post on each thing that I do.

What I can do is try to take pictures of certain things, then if someone has a question, I may be able to post a pic of what was done.

OK---------on to some pics of late................

The dash cries out for some nicer gauges. I hate trying to paint molded in ones so I bought a set of gauge decals for '67-'68 Mustangs off of eBay.

PB275317-vi.jpg

They turned out very well, 'cept the smaller ones were a bit of a challenge to cut out and place in.

PC255329-vi.jpg

OK, here's the finished interior. Carpeting is red embossing powder, and the interior is just some automotive red paint with some Testor's Dullcoat mixed in to blunt some of the glossiness.

PC285334-vi.jpg

PC285333-vi.jpg

PC285331-vi.jpg

PC285332-vi.jpg

And now the (nearly) finished chassis. Just some minor things to add, and some paint touch up.........

pc285335-vi.jpg

And the engine in its final resting place in the chassis............

pc285336-vi.jpg

I wanted to get an idea before I move on to painting the body on how this thing will sit. This is just a mockup of how things look at the moment.

Stance isn't bad, but the rear may sit just a scooch too low. I have seen 1:1's sit just like this so this may not be a problem.

Pc285337-vi.jpg

Pc255330-vi.jpg

Next step is to cut out the grille, and replace it with the PE one from Model Car Garage. Should have done this a while back, but I definitely want to do this before any painting. The angle of the molded in one isn't correct either (too upright), so may as well fix that issue too when it's cut away.

Thanks for lookin' guys..........Not sure when the next update will be, but this one will get done! ;)