Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Last night we went to the drive in movies for the second time this summer-saw Planes 2: Fire and Rescue

013_zpsf9a5f3ee.jpg

Got a few good reference pictures of the speakers for a diorama too

The Cherry Bowl Drive In got one of the Honda grants to update it to digital projectors

http://www.cherrybowldrivein.com/

Wow, how things have changed. I remember back in the 60s and 70s drive in movie screens were at least four or five times larger than that one. Of course they're all gone now.

David G.

Sad to say all the drive in theaters in New Jersey are long gone. The land was just too expensive. Movie companies knocked them down and built large multiplex theaters that could show many movies at the same time, all year around. Plus there was enough land left to build a shopping center! Ah, progress!

Wow, how things have changed. I remember back in the 60s and 70s drive in movie screens were at least four or five times larger than that one. Of course they're all gone now.

David G.

Oh heck yeah!

Take a walk in the woods, sit on a hill and watch a movie from across the lot. If it were crowded enough at least one car on that side had the speaker loud enough for me.

G

Finally finished the first rebody of any of my R/C's in a couple years, and it's already been a bit of a show stopper and head scratcher for as simple as it is :D

20140809_215238_zpsdujbojln.jpg

20140809_215305_zpsl0lx3pbo.jpg

20140809_215025_zpsk0v27xds.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I bought it back in 2011 ;)

IMG_2854.jpg

And here's what the body is "supposed" to look like.

3238-31-3.jpg

Needless to say, I'm kinda proud of it.

Edited by Joe Handley

Another interview.

And I found out I'm actually still in the running for the other job I had an interview for.

Perhaps something will finally break...besides me?

Charlie Larkin

Cool! Hopefully one of these will come through for you. Sometimes it will be months between the interview and the offer. Especially over the summer months, decisions just don't get made.

Job searches are long and tedious affairs. I just concluded one a few months ago and don't wish it on anyone. It's surely a numbers game, the more irons you have in the fire, the better chances you have. You can't count on any one opportunity or interview, as I've been told there were up to 300 applicants for some positions.

And you also don't even know the motivation of the company or reason for the interview. In this era of equal opportunity and transparency, companies have policies that have them go through the entire search process, even if they have a preferred candidate in their pocket. So they will do their internal search, posting the job for their own employees to apply, and then do the external search, posting on their own web site and the job boards.

And in some cases, they already have a person who is working in that job on a temporary basis, or someone they wish to promote into that job, but they have to go through the process. Yea, everyone who applies is wasting their time, since they are just being interviewed as a formality to be excluded. It really stinks.

In my year and a half of seeking a new role, I averaged an interview a month. I network in my industry and was able to find out what happened to all those positions. Of them a quarter of those went to preferred candidates. HALF of the positions never got filled. Companies change their requirements, sometimes eliminate open positions or change their mind during the process. I even had one company that pretty much brought me in to pick my brain on their process. So that leaves only a quarter of the positions where they were honestly looking for a candidate and I had a fair shot at the position.

And no doubt you've heard that most positions are filled through networking. After all my work at finding a fresh opportunity, I wound up being recruited by an old boss. So it's pretty much true!

Good luck to ya!