Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

body 2

Hmmm.......yeah looking at your pic and taking a peek at pics of the 1:1, the radii for that could be a bit less rounded. That's something I would more than likely try to fix if and when I ever get around to building one, but then you know how "obsessive" I am about things like that! :D

Another area to my eyes that might be able to stand a bit more tweaking is the radius of the top of the windshield header in the glass in relation to the body. Once again, until I have the kit in my hand (I'm going to see about getting one tomorrow), I'll have to reserve judgment till then. The kit looks fantastic though, and Moebius for sure has another winner!

Yes, I'm funny like that! :) And right, the "BPD" is out in front of Burbank's House of Hobbies.

Thanks Steve for all the great photos you posted on fotki. It really looks like a great kit but I look forward to the discussions of pros and cons as it gets in wider circulation. My LHS does not expects any kits until into the New Year. I always thought I would use this kit to do a full detail '64 Comet but I may have to build both years as this '65 just looks so good.

Hmmm.......yeah looking at your pic and taking a peek at pics of the 1:1, the radii for that could be a bit less rounded. That's something I would more than likely try to fix if and when I ever get around to building one, but then you know how "obsessive" I am about things like that! :D

Another area to my eyes that might be able to stand a bit more tweaking is the radius of the top of the windshield header in the glass in relation to the body. Once again, until I have the kit in my hand (I'm going to see about getting one tomorrow), I'll have to reserve judgment till then. The kit looks fantastic though, and Moebius for sure has another winner!

Well Bill, you certainly set the standard, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with this one! I need to take another look at that windshield header - I hadn't previously noticed an issue there.

A better detailed engine is the AMT 67 Mustang fast back kit, more options, same size as Moebius V-8.

Yes Al, the AMT '67 Mustang is still the best 289 ever kitted as far as I'm concerned. This one isn't bad, but I guess I was hoping for something even better. The most obvious thing in need of improvement to my eye are the exhaust manifolds, which are rather generic and in fact not even really correct for a Comet.

exhaust manifolds

While I'm at it, almost every SBF ever kitted has this same error - the oil filter horizontal to the ground - whereas in fact it has a definite downward angle. Having the filter molded as part of the block makes it more difficult to correct.

oil filter

It might be that these - and some other mechanical issues that may come up for discussion - won't make a great deal of difference to the majority of the potential buyers of this kit. I'm sure some people might think I'm being a "rivet counter" here, but having over 35 years of familiarity with these engines makes me acutely aware of such issues. At least the good news is that the body looks pretty darn close to right.

Mine landed on my doorstep today and I've spent quite a bit of time this evening going through the kit now that I have my hands on one.  One thing that really stood-out to me was the amount of blank-spaces on the various parts trees that are showing part numbers by those blank spaces.  My guess is that the upcoming 427-powered, drag version of this kit is going to have alot of additional parts inside it besides just the 427 engine and adjusted suspension pieces for the drag car. 

Yes Al, the AMT '67 Mustang is still the best 289 ever kitted as far as I'm concerned. This one isn't bad, but I guess I was hoping for something even better. The most obvious thing in need of improvement to my eye are the exhaust manifolds, which are rather generic and in fact not even really correct for a Comet.

exhaust manifolds

While I'm at it, almost every SBF ever kitted has this same error - the oil filter horizontal to the ground - whereas in fact it has a definite downward angle. Having the filter molded as part of the block makes it more difficult to correct.

oil filter

It might be that these - and some other mechanical issues that may come up for discussion - won't make a great deal of difference to the majority of the potential buyers of this kit. I'm sure some people might think I'm being a "rivet counter" here, but having over 35 years of familiarity with these engines makes me acutely aware of such issues. At least the good news is that the body looks pretty darn close to right.

Ugh. That engine is kind of toy like, and the exhaust manifolds are a joke. Also, it looks like they tooled the radiator to match the later model water pump borrowed from the F100. Weren't both hoses on the passenger side until 1969? Looks like the Cyclone has the lower hose on the driver's side. Oh, and wouldn't they have used a top loader transmission in 1965 instead of a T-10 Warner?

Edited by Rodent
Brain fart

Ugh. That engine is kind of toy like, and the exhaust manifolds are a joke. Also, it looks like they tooled the radiator to match the later model water pump borrowed from the F100. Weren't both hoses on the passenger side until 1969? Looks like the Cyclone has the lower hose on the driver's side. Oh, and wouldn't they have used a top loader transmission in 1965 instead of a T-10 Warner?

T-10 is correct for '65 Cyclone.

All in all, it'll be a little more of a pleasure to accurize than another recent release I can think of. Lots of good Ford parts out there to work with ^_^

I'd have to agree with that - at least there's something decent to work with here. I imagine a lot of folks won't care enough about some of the mechanical discrepancies enough to bother, or plan on doing extensive modifications anyway. But part of me hoped that Moebius would take the trouble to get some of these details closer to correct. I don't want to dissuade anyone from buying the kit - I'm just trying to provide some info so they know what to expect. 

Mine landed on my doorstep today and I've spent quite a bit of time this evening going through the kit now that I have my hands on one.  One thing that really stood-out to me was the amount of blank-spaces on the various parts trees that are showing part numbers by those blank spaces.  My guess is that the upcoming 427-powered, drag version of this kit is going to have alot of additional parts inside it besides just the 427 engine and adjusted suspension pieces for the drag car. 

Kinda odd that they don't group the parts from each version on a separate tree, they either can block off, or if a cluster of smaller tooling is used, can be a separate tooling.

But I'm sounding like a broken record ;)

Anyway hope to have my copy next week...

Here are paint codes for anyone interested in replicating their Cyclone to color spec. Sorry for the bad pic. I'll have to redo this outside the first chance I have.Natural light will make some of these colors really pop......Black is not listed here.But was definitely available as a choice.

Myron_

IMG_1554.jpg

My first 65 Comet will be paint code "3". :)

Edited by fairlane1320

This looks like a great kit! When I see one, I'll be buying it for sure. Moebius is doing a great job with these new releases and their subjects are the most interesting if compared to Revell and AMT/Round 2. I just wish they'd stop doing the windows like that. Nothing wrong with installing them from outside, but it's stupid that chrome trim is molded to the windows. One little slip with a knife when doing BMF and your windows are ruined... There's nothing wrong with the old method anyway...:rolleyes:

Otherwise I'm a huge fan of these Moebius kits.

This looks like a great kit! When I see one, I'll be buying it for sure. Moebius is doing a great job with these new releases and their subjects are the most interesting if compared to Revell and AMT/Round 2. I just wish they'd stop doing the windows like that. Nothing wrong with installing them from outside, but it's stupid that chrome trim is molded to the windows. One little slip with a knife when doing BMF and your windows are ruined... There's nothing wrong with the old method anyway...:rolleyes:

Otherwise I'm a huge fan of these Moebius kits.

In the old fashioned way, one slip with the knife when doing BMF and your paint job is ruined...:(

In the old fashioned way, one slip with the knife when doing BMF and your paint job is ruined...:(

But on paint job you have to look very, very carefully if you want to see that minor flaw and it still might be hard to see. But on those windows, every scratch can be seen much easier.

I don't know if it is a urban legend or not, but I have heard that not enough smallblock top loaders could be produced to meet demand after the Mustang was introduced,  so Ford started buying T-10s again. 

Steve, That could be entirely true. All I know is my car had it's T-10 up until  I installed a T5 in it. Also, a friend who ordered his Cyclone new in'65, had a T-10 and a 289 Hi-Po. Some people will say you could not get a real Hi-Po in a Comet. That is definitely NOT TRUE!