Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Get Today? (Not Model Related)

LOBBS

image.thumb.jpg.7ddd198d6b4c977604ab5583Great job on that Ranger, Miles.  It looks so real.

Drawing that sticker was the worst part! :lol: Good deals are to be had if you chance upon them!

My coworker and I were discussing trucks, and I brought up our Ranger. He said he had one he used as a daily until a couple years ago and then parked it, but now he's getting it hauled off. "How much is the guy giving you for it?" says I. "Nothing," he says. And that's how I met your mother... I mean, my new Ranger.

Here's our '88 XLT, just in case you haven't seen it. This has the 4-banger, and my father made a custom 3-inch full exhaust system, yes, three-inchers straight from the block, heat wrapped as well. It's had a frame-off resto - I sanded the frame myself with 100-grit paper and brush painted it with encapsulator and black paint. It's soon to have a Honda turbo!

Certainly not as nifty as a real car or truck, but I received this cool planisphere today. I sit out on the deck frequently at night, and when the sky is clear, can see a great many stars and such, but have no real idea what I'm looking at. Hopefully this well help resolve that problem, then later when I buy my telescope, I'll be better prepared to know what to look for and where to find it. 

Plan.jpg

Certainly not as nifty as a real car or truck, but I received this cool planisphere today. I sit out on the deck frequently at night, and when the sky is clear, can see a great many stars and such, but have no real idea what I'm looking at. Hopefully this well help resolve that problem, then later when I buy my telescope, I'll be better prepared to know what to look for and where to find it. 

Welcome to the Darkside Kevin:P I used to sell those before retiring. Astronomy is a fun yet at times frustrating hobby (kinda like Model Building!!) - Rule #1 It WILL Always be Cloudy when some event you want to see is happening and Rule #2 is when you get your New (even if it's Used) Telescope it Will be Cloudy for the next Month of what could have been Viewing Nights!

I've got 2 suggestions for you before you run off and spend money on a New Scope. Check out a local Astronomy Club and attend some "Star Partys" where you'll be able to see, and view through different kinds and styles of Scopes and Second, for your First Telescope, buy a Used one. Nomatter the present passion there's always the chance it won't either live up to expectations or you'll quickly loose interest - I say this as one that has been to MANY hundered's of Star Parties, was on the Board of an Astronomy Club for a Decade, 5 of those years as VP and One as Prez. The reason for a used scope first is it's already devaluated so there's a good chance to recover your investment nomatter if it's to upgrade or it turns out not to be what you really want to do.

Again welcome to Amateur Astronomy.There's several Lifetimes of things to see and learn out there.

I'm not entirely new to astronomy, Ed, just renewing an old pastime is all, one that I've long since forgotten the particulars of. My father belonged to the McDonnell Douglas astronomy club years ago; I accompanied him to many a star gazing event, and thoroughly enjoyed it, plus we viewed on many a night in our own back yard. Perhaps the planets I enjoyed most were Saturn and Mars. He had a 6" reflector, and it was just fine for that task.

I've looked at some used 'scopes, and still have not determined what's best for me initially, but I'm thinking perhaps something in the 102mm range. Before then though, I'll probably content myself for the moment with tripod mounted binoculars.

Here is one of the many things my wife got me for Christmas. Remote control AC Cobra. Won't be playing with it but it will be in one of the Cobra cabinets.

Well I'll be. I didn't know 27Mhz was even still used for RC Vehicles! I figured the modified CB's pretty much made them useless. 

• 1 month later...

Just looking around Ebay and found this...the Adventure People Daredevil with parachute. I, as well as a couple of neighborhood kids, all had one when we were kids. Well, the nostalgic side got ahold of me and it was cheap enough, so here it is.

Edited by The70judgeman

• 3 weeks later...

Just got these new tires in for the hearse behind it, they're .05" shorter than what's on it now (and about 1/4" taller than OE) while being at least 1/2" wider than current (and at least half again wider than OE).  I've got some rims with a 17.5mm backspacing coming in, hopefully the truck will be almost 2" wider than it currently is.

Got a new battery today. Went out to start the Jeep, and click click nothing. AAA replaced it, under warranty..got 22 months out of it, pretty long for a battery here.

About three weeks ago, I had to buy a new battery for my 2000 LeSabre. The one I replaced was in the car for more than 10 years! In Minnesota this is considered a minor miracle. The battery that gave me such great service? An AC Delco, with a 6 year warranty. So did I replace it with another Delco? No. Since I work for a O'Reilly Auto Parts store part time, I bought one of theirs. Too good of a price to pass up with my employee discount. Even though I doubt I'll get same service out it. Not that's it's bad battery. It's just going to be tough beating the life I got from that last Delco.

My latest acquisition. Perhaps not a big deal to a lot of you, but it certainly is to me. Over the summer/autumn, I’ll be doing several projects here that will definitely benefit from an impact driver, and this nifty little tool from Ridgid, will easily get into places my DeWalt and Milwaukee 18V drills can’t manage. (I really wanted the Milwaukee equivalent of this tool, but its performance specifications are almost identical, yet costs $50 more.)

impact 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

columbian 15columbian 30

I've been spending a lot more on my stamp collection than model cars lately!  I'm concentrating on filling in some gaps in my late 19th Century / early 20th Century stamps. These are 2 of a16 stamp set of stamps from 1892 commemorating Columbus and the Columbian Exposition that same year.  This was the Worlds Fair in Chicago.  I just love the engraving on the old classics!  The 15 cent one catalogs $240 and the 30 center is $300. Of course I didn't pay anywhere near that amount.

A parts truck for my Ranger. This one's a '96, has a solid frame, decent bed, decent tires, a strong engine (4.0 V6,) bucket seats, and a 5 CD changer. Paid $300 cash, and AAA is hauling it over.

You're a man after my own heart, Miles. One of my favorite things in life is dragging home a new, cheap parts car for an ongoing project. Sometimes, the parts car ends up being nicer than the 'good' one. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy