Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sources for 4 and 6 clyinder engines

On 1/5/2021 at 7:43 AM, DougS said:

Does anyone know of a kit that includes a Ford V6 with chrome valve covers that say Ford Motorsport on them?

Sorry for the really late reply, Doug, but the engine you are referring to is in the Revell ASA series Thunderbird race car.  For reasons unknown, it comes with not one but two pairs of those rocker covers!  Some of the Camaros in that series come with a nicely detailed V6 Chevy but for both the Ford and Chevy engines, you will need to fabricate headers/manifolds as they have race car specific up and over headers that really wont fit any other application.

I have used both of them in street rods and they look great!

While I'm here, did anyone mention the transverse V6 in the Monogram Chevy Citation?

Cheers

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 9:53 PM, Joe Handley said:

While I'm aware that I am resurrecting the dead here, does anybody know if there is a Jeep 4.0l I-6 in 1/25 scale?  Don't care if it is resin or 3d printed, just a good rendition of it.  I have the Pacer kit with the 258, which is related, but would rather have something more along the lines of the EFI equipped 4.0l instead.  Tamiya had a 1/24 YJ Wrangler with a 4.0l, but those appear to be discontinued and pricey right now.

I take it there is no source for a Jeep 4.0L besides the Tamiya YJ? Did the older Jeep CJ kits have a 258ci straight six?

Edited by NOBLNG

On 12/28/2021 at 8:49 PM, NOBLNG said:

I take it there is no source for a Jeep 4.0L besides the Tamiya YJ? Did the older Jeep CJ kits have a 258ci straight six?

I know the AMT Jeep (Daisy Duke, Godzilla, etc.) all have a 4 cyl. The Revell CJ7 has a 304/360 looking V8. All of the military Jeeps will have the 4 cyl. 

Hi!

The MPC Daytona transporter (concept truck) has a FWD Pontiac 6 and transaxle. Can't comment on the detail level, however, but I will look at the one in my stash. 

I also recently saw an AMT Taurus Police car, dating back about 10 years, at an OOP specialized shop, and the box stated it had a V6 engine. The box was sealed, so I could not verify if it was the Duratech or the good old 3.8. Maybe someone having built that kit would know?

CT  

8 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

I also recently saw an AMT Taurus Police car, dating back about 10 years, at an OOP specialized shop, and the box stated it had a V6 engine. The box was sealed, so I could not verify if it was the Duratech or the good old 3.8. Maybe someone having built that kit would know?

Those kits had the SHO Yamaha V6 IIRC...(they were modified from the SHO kit).

1 minute ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Thank you Robert! I'll pick-it up at my next visit... This would be a very nice engine to put in a street-rod. Dare to be different!

CT 

Yes, it would..I seem to recall seeing a 1:1 32 Ford or Model A street rod w/ a SHO engine in a car magazine maybe 30 years ago...

1 minute ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, it would..I seem to recall seeing a 1:1 32 Ford or Model A street rod w/ a SHO engine in a car magazine maybe 30 years ago...

You are right. Around 2006, at the Rhinebeck NY Goodguys event, a gentleman from Conn. had a black 29 roadster with a complete SHO powertrain and transaxle in the trunk! Needless to say, it was the talk of the fairground. 

CT 

• Like 1