Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cigarette smoke smell How to get rid of it?

Is there any procedure I can follow to get rid of cigarette smoke smell out of a model.  I just received a model from Ebay and it smells like a smoke stack.  I would really like to get rid of the smell, but I am clueless.  Help me if you can.

Just a thought...

White Vinegar Treatment

1. Pour three cups of white distilled vinegar into a bucket large enough to hold the plastic items.

2. Place the plastics into the bucket and add two cups of cold water.

3. Seal the bucket with lid and leave overnight.

4. The next day, remove the plastic items from the bucket and put them in the sink.

5. Carefully rinse plastics with cool water and let air dry.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5565782_remove-smoke-smell-plastic.html
Edited by doctor phillips

If it's an unbuilt kit and the parts are still bagged,take them out of the bags and toss out the bags.Then put the pieces where they won't get  lost and let air circulate around them for a while.Do the same for a built up model.

I bought a small collection a few years ago from a heavy smoker. The smoke was so bad I could smell the kits in the trunk of my car. I put a bounce dryer sheet in each box, then put each box in a giant zip-loc bag, two weeks later, no smoke smell :) The bounce dryer sheet will also get rid of some of the smell of paint in a spray booth :) 

I have already put the model in a box with a dryer sheet, and sealed it up good.  I could smell the smoke smell as soon as I picked-up the box from the mailbox.  It is really a shame in many cases.  A lot of individuals post that the model is coming from a smoke free house.  It is a nice model, but just stinks badly.  Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Yes, the dryer sheet solution is universal, the stamp collecting folks do the same thing.   

Receiving things from smokers is a big deal on the eBay boards.  You'll actually see disclaimers on auctions, and some folks will post "From a non-smoking home",  or "I smoke but not in the house or eBay room".  

You could mention it in your feedback to warn others.  

I have take the occasional offending model, opened it up, placed it in a trash bag with a can of coffee. The coffee does seem to negate the smoke smell, but then it also imparts a coffee smell. I have also used charcoal powder (available at Bed, Bath and Beyond and places like that). That seems to work as well. 

I REALLY wish there was a way to tell if these auctions are smoke bombs...when I get models like these, it really grosses me out.

I go up to the attic (in the summer) and I spread all the kit's parts and open boxes on the floor. Leave it there for a week or two and the stench is gone!  Before you ask about melted parts, the attic temperature doesn't get much over 100 deg. F.  That is below the temperature in my food dehydrator when I dry painted car bodies.

Be careful when using Dawn on a painted model.  I had a Krylon-painted body soaking overnight in water with some Dawn to get rid of polishing residue, etc.  After rinsing and drying, I noticed tiny bubbles in the paint that were not there previously.  Dawn cuts grease, but whatever cut the grease at that time (yes, this was many years ago) attacked the paint.

I had a guitar case once that had a smoke smell.

Bought a small negative ion generator & put it in the case for a day...problem solved.

I've kept it plugged in in the shop & when I open the door in the morning, it works so well I can't even smell the wood that's stored there.

I had a guitar case once that had a smoke smell.

Bought a small negative ion generator & put it in the case for a day...problem solved.

I've kept it plugged in in the shop & when I open the door in the morning, it works so well I can't even smell the wood that's stored there.

Practically  every used guitar I ever bought smelled like smoke. Especially if they were used in bars.

I did the Febreze spray and a month long airing in the garage for a Cobra E Bay kit...worked, but took a couple sprays and part rearranging to get it all aired out. I agree with ditching the plastic bags for new ones. Paper doesn't like the wet febreze so careful with instructions and box art. Talk about becoming nose blind when you are a smoker...the kit just reeked!!!

Recently used a new dryer sheet (bounce) wrapping the most disgusting vomitus-smelling resin kit I have ever come across...just checked it and it smells like fresh laundry. We shall see how it smells after trimming flash etc

It is an old Bugatti T55 from Provence Moulange...a now defunct French manufacturer. God that was a disgusting smell :wacko:

Edited by Twokidsnosleep