Model Cars Magazine Forum

Touch Tone Terror kit

Bucket T

Doesn't make sense to retool the phone booth for a single issue that will probably sell just as well whether or not it is included.

There will be one included in the printed cardstock items. It wouldn't be tough to measure that and trace onto sheet plastic.

Edited by Mark
Spell check
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 4:31 PM, Casey said:

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Out of curiosity, and maybe you can't or unwilling to say (totally fine, too), but are the ex-Lindberg/IMC kits still being molded at the facility in Kalkaska, MI? More of a curiosity for me to be honest, so no pressure to answer...or PM works, too.

Unfortunately, no.  The owner of the Kalkaska, MI facility decided to sell it off around two years ago giving us short notice.   Now the tooling storage and production that was once in one place in MI is now split between storage and molding facilities outside of Chicago. 

-Steve 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 10:23 AM, paul alflen said:

Steve Goldman, I am thinking a little forward here.(2 to 5 years ahead). Could the telephone booth for TTT be made to download in 3-d, as a file to purchase in the future? Round 2 is leaving money on the table. I know you have a full plate to carry now (That is good news!). But if you offered a file to purchase and download it for customers, the cost of an injection mold goes away, and the customers who Pass on the cardboard version will purchase the file. ( if they want a plastic / resin 3-d version) It must be affordable to the consumer to do this and also have Round 2 Make money on it too!

You mean something like this Paul? There's lots out there. 

Phone Booth | 3D model | Phone booth, 3d model, Phone

Metropolis 3D Printing Models | CGTrader

On 5/5/2023 at 11:11 AM, Mark said:

Doesn't make sense to retool the phone booth for a single issue that will probably sell just as well whether or not it is included.

Financially, probably not, but it's really what makes this kit unique, and I would bet people would buy it just because a vintage style phone booth is included.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Since everyone seems to have phone booth madness... How well are those accessory sets selling? Because it sounds like you should probably tool up a phone booth for the next one. I mean, it can't be much more difficult or costly to create a phone booth than a vending machine, and how many Coke branded kits include a vending machine whether it's appropriate to the subject or not? 

Then you can mold the A100 in Chicago, ship over some loose phone booths from the Chinese facility, and pack everything into the box wherever you do that. Yes, that would likely add expense to the kit but sheesh... An awful lot of people seem hellbent on getting that phone booth with their kit.

Worst case scenario, die cut like the push bumper and stakes for the Texaco 1950 Chevrolet 3100. I actually liked the die cut parts better than the molded equivalents they provide now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Since everyone seems to have phone booth madness... How well are those accessory sets selling? Because it sounds like you should probably tool up a phone booth for the next one. I mean, it can't be much more difficult or costly to create a phone booth than a vending machine, and how many Coke branded kits include a vending machine whether it's appropriate to the subject or not? 

Then you can mold the A100 in Chicago, ship over some loose phone booths from the Chinese facility, and pack everything into the box wherever you do that. Yes, that would likely add expense to the kit but sheesh... An awful lot of people seem hellbent on getting that phone booth with their kit.

Worst case scenario, die cut like the push bumper and stakes for the Texaco 1950 Chevrolet 3100. I actually liked the die cut parts better than the molded equivalents they provide now.

I think the main issue is the majority of the phone booth parts are made of clear plastic, and to produce all the necessary parts without distortion is not a low budget thing. I feel safe assuming @SteveG and the folks at Round2 thoroughly investigated the most cost effective way to get it done, and while the final choice doesn't appeal to me, I can respect the decision.

The '63 Nova Chevy II wagon had a telephone theme going on and related parts included (phone, decals), so while that could have been a potential kit in which to include a phone booth (especially in light of the trailer inclusion), I'm not sure how well that, sold at a premium price, would've been received by the buying public. A cab forward Dodge A-100 pickup might fare better, at least in terms of a Ma Bell type service vehicle. Hopefully the thin areas of the bed floor were addressed, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, 66c10 said:

Does anyone any info for the touch tone terror from round 2 that is coming out 

Does not answer your question but it is listed to be announced (TBA) on the Stevens International website.

AMT PLASTIC MODEL KITS AMT-1389 1/25 Touch Tone Terror 1966 Dodge A100 Pickup Truck $35.99 TBA