Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

****The MPC Ventura kit in 1975 had a Pontiac engine, but the real 1/1 1975 Ventura (according to several reliable sources) had the Buick 350 small block engine, a much different engine and one that appears much different as well.  There was a reason for the MPC kit engine choice, but  I will disclose that at a future point in time.    It would be interesting to see how that MPC tool Pontiac engine changed (or not) during the evolution of that kit tool.      TIM 

MPC probably used the Pontiac engine to issue the kit as a '75 GTO.  That would explain the shaker hood setup in the '75 (and '76) Ventura kits as well.  Hurst built a prototype '75 Ventura/GTO, but apparently Pontiac turned thumbs down on it, because no others were built.

The MPC Novas have Pontiac engines in them.  I just checked an MPC '78 Nova against a '77 Ventura; the bucket seat upholstery patterns are exactly the same.  MPC took a slow-selling Ventura and converted it to a Nova.

Yup. 

Only thing changed on the kits were the body to become a Nova and the related parts on the chrome tree. Same chassis, same engine, same clear parts.

Yup. 

Only thing changed on the kits were the body to become a Nova and the related parts on the chrome tree. Same chassis, same engine, same clear parts.

The Ventura/Nova switch was similar to what MPC did w/ the Duster and Dart Sport in '75...the Dart Sport has been reissued a few times, the Duster never again.  I wonder why they put Pontiac honeycomb style wheels in the Dart Sport kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

OK, guess the Ventura version is gone for good - thanks for confirming guys.

My Squad Rod Nova is packed away in my storage area, so I haven't looked at it in years.  Must not have looked too close, since I never noticed that Pontiac engine!  Guess it's not too much of a surprise - MPC always seemed pretty good about getting the body changes correct on their annuals, but lots of the dirty bits and interior details didn't get updated consistently.

Good example is the El Camino kits - the 1:1 versions got a new dash in 1981, same as the new Monte Carlos, but the MPC kits kept the old 78 - 80 style dash.  Ertl finally corrected the dash when they retooled the kit into the El Camino SS and issued it as an AMT.

As for the Pontiac engine for the Venturas, I'm guessing the same thing as Mark - stillborn GTO.  I think it was even shown on the '75 box art.

Funny how GM was playing musical engines during this time.  Back in the early '90s our new HS guidance counselor came from California, and he happened to have a like-new late '70s Buick Skylark coupe (think it was a '77) that he brought with him.  I recall asking him if it had a Buick 350, and he said it was actually a small block Chevy.  To him it was just a California used car, but it was in amazing condition compared to any of those cars that were still on the road in the Chicago area.

All of us kids begged him not to drive it in the winter, but he did it anyway.  Within 3 years the thing was rusting into oblivion...

Edited by Robberbaron

Pre-Ertl issues of the MPC '69 Camaro (including the annual) had the Firebird interior bucket too, though with a Camaro instrument panel.  I'm pretty sure both annuals shared the optional turbine engine (that was a pretty obvious crib of the one in Jo-Han's Chrysler kit).

Pre-Ertl issues of the MPC '69 Camaro (including the annual) had the Firebird interior bucket too, though with a Camaro instrument panel.  I'm pretty sure both annuals shared the optional turbine engine (that was a pretty obvious crib of the one in Jo-Han's Chrysler kit).

Hmmmm...I think I've caught the Firebird interior on the reissues but I don't remember it being in the original annual. I'll have to check my old one and see. I remember it did have soft vinyl custom bucket seats, though.

You're right about both kits originally having the turbine. That might have even survived into some reissues of the Firebird, I'm not sure. The Firebird also had the OHC 6 engine.

Interesting factoid about the Pontiac engine in the Nova kits...I have a couple different years of those unbuilt in my stash, never noticed the engine issue. 

I can't tell them apart even after it is pointed out to me.
Worse. I don't give a bloody toss.

Whatever gets reissued, I'll buy it anyway.

Hmmmm...I think I've caught the Firebird interior on the reissues but I don't remember it being in the original annual. I'll have to check my old one and see. I remember it did have soft vinyl custom bucket seats, though.

You're right about both kits originally having the turbine. That might have even survived into some reissues of the Firebird, I'm not sure. The Firebird also had the OHC 6 engine.

Interesting...I wonder if that's true w/ the MPC '69 Firebird and Camaro convertibles also.  The MPC Firebird and Camaro kits I have are molded in color 80s issues, both hts and convertibles. I don't have the original annuals, though I do have an annual MPC '67 Firebird and '68 Camaro.

No reissues of either the ('69) Firebird or Camaro included the turbine engine.  The first reissue of the Firebird was in late '69, as the Trans-Am.  That kit had the V8 and OHC six.  Next issue after that was the late Seventies White Lightning street mackine, again with the six and V8.

After that, MPC issued that black '69 Camaro hardtop.  Engines were again the Pontiac six and V8, though I think they did include Chevy valve covers for the V8.  Next up was the Firebird convertible.

The Firebird was issued only once as a convertible kit, the early Eighties yellow one with the Trans-Am hood.  Again, six and V8.  There was a convertible promotional model in '69, but no kit.

Next issue after the convertible was the dark blue Firebird hardtop, pretty much the same as the White Lightning except for the color.  Six and V8.  This is the last kit with the original Firebird annual kit interior bucket.

Then the Camaro convertible was issued.  The interior was changed to a Camaro upholstery pattern, and I think the molded-in console was removed and a separate one created.  The engine in this one was a big-block Chevy, that looks like it is from the MPC '71-'72 Chevelle kits.  

All of the Firebird reissues from that point on had a different upholstery pattern from the earlier ones; more like the '68 annual kit (though not exactly like it).

....is there any concrete info yet on details about the MPC 1969 BARRACUDA that is coming out shortly,,,that is to say, is it going to be close to the annual 69 issue in original parts and such, decal sheet, etc,,,,or just a re box  of the same piece we've had so many times now......jump in if anyone out there has the inside scoop......the ace...

Got myself the Flameout. Low parts count of course.  Comes with a nice cardboard display for it. Pad printed tires, lots of chrome. Molded in red, 1/12 will be molded in metallic red.

Nice reviews. I see you are in Northern Wisconsin. What city or town do you live in?

No reissues of either the ('69) Firebird or Camaro included the turbine engine.  The first reissue of the Firebird was in late '69, as the Trans-Am.  That kit had the V8 and OHC six.  Next issue after that was the late Seventies White Lightning street mackine, again with the six and V8.

After that, MPC issued that black '69 Camaro hardtop.  Engines were again the Pontiac six and V8, though I think they did include Chevy valve covers for the V8.  Next up was the Firebird convertible.

The Firebird was issued only once as a convertible kit, the early Eighties yellow one with the Trans-Am hood.  Again, six and V8.  There was a convertible promotional model in '69, but no kit.

Next issue after the convertible was the dark blue Firebird hardtop, pretty much the same as the White Lightning except for the color.  Six and V8.  This is the last kit with the original Firebird annual kit interior bucket.

Then the Camaro convertible was issued.  The interior was changed to a Camaro upholstery pattern, and I think the molded-in console was removed and a separate one created.  The engine in this one was a big-block Chevy, that looks like it is from the MPC '71-'72 Chevelle kits.  

All of the Firebird reissues from that point on had a different upholstery pattern from the earlier ones; more like the '68 annual kit (though not exactly like it).

One weird detail I remember about the '80s Firebird reissues are the strange 6 lug custom wheels.   I built the White Lightning, the Firebird ht and convertible (both as Trans Ams) and Camaro ht & convertible as a kid back in the day.

The original annual MPC '69 Firebird had the twin-scoop 400 hood molded in clear. I don't think that was ever repeated in any reissue.

I think their '67 and '68 annuals might have had the clear hood, too.

Yes, I believe my '67 annual still has the clear hood unpainted...my '68 annual was bought as a built up w/o the box, so not familiar with it's original state..

Edited by Rob Hall

Nice reviews. I see you are in Northern Wisconsin. What city or town do you live in?

Chris' reviews are some of the best. I tend to watch all of them dealing with model kits. Both cars and the other kits. Even if, like the Flameout, I'm not interested in the kit. They are fun reviews, and always interesting.

The Ventura/Nova switch was similar to what MPC did w/ the Duster and Dart Sport in '75...the Dart Sport has been reissued a few times, the Duster never again.  I wonder why they put Pontiac honeycomb style wheels in the Dart Sport kit.

so that make sense why the Nova has a Pontiac like engine in it...cause it was the ventura first...thanks for the info....Chris 

The MPC Novas have Pontiac engines in them.  I just checked an MPC '78 Nova against a '77 Ventura; the bucket seat upholstery patterns are exactly the same.  MPC took a slow-selling Ventura and converted it to a Nova.

Wait a minute - weren't we recently talking about a kit that had a short run, and was believed lost/irrevocably modified, whose parts may have unexpectedly turned up, as a possible 2016 release? Hmmm...