Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yeah, they really haven't sold models in quite some time now. They occasionally have them around the holidays in some locations.

Check out Plastic-Models.com, they often have free shipping on orders over $25, which isn't hard to do these days!

I have seen models at WM in the last year or so......

But it is typical brain dead corp logic. They had models in Columbus Ohio were they have a number of hobby shops.........

But in our region were the nearest model kit for purchase is 2+ hours away....WM does not carry models.

Why not fill a void??? 

Wow, did you just wake up from a long coma?

It's been many years since Walmart sold models.

BTW... in case you hadn't heard yet... we landed a man on the moon a few years ago. :P

Walmart sold models cars here in the KC area up until about a 6-8 months ago.  Who's been in the coma? And EVERYONE knows the moon landing was fake, same goes for 1 hour martinizing. :huh:

BTW... in case you hadn't heard yet... we landed a man on the moon a few years ago. :P

Bought some Dukes of Haz there when the flag crises hit. Not to far in the distance past

Nobody is better at retail than Walmart.  They know how much money every inch of shelving in that store generates and put simply, model cars don't earn their keep on those shelves!  

They also do some regional marketing.  Many years ago I was at a Walmart in Indiana.  I thought it interesting that a full sideways aisle right up front near the cash registers were full of Ertl farm toys.  All those diecast tractors and harvesters,  you wouldn't even find those in a Walmart in suburban New Jersey, never mind preferred placement!  

I have two large WM's near me, within 10 minute drive to either one, another 7 or so within 30 minutes . They will occasionally have model kits on the clearance aisles, typically still priced at near MSRP. Yep, that's right. Clearance prices of $18 or more for kits I can find elsewhere for half that. Since I've never been big supporter of the chain, I take my business to the LHS, or Michaels' when they have a good coupon. Mostly, my modelling budget goes to Amazon, or other online retailers these days for the variety and pricing. 

They brought models back to the Walmart near me in northern VA a few years ago and they seem to have disappeared at the end of January. I never bought any because the prices were pretty high, and the selection was not very interesting.  If I recall the price of a Revell 1/24th - 1/25th car was almost $25.  and the one time I needed some paint, I was dismayed to find every can of spray paint was opened and tested. I really wish people would stop doing that.  Maybe they took away the models because half the kits were spray painted as was the floor and the shelves. :(

Harry, why so snarky.  Some stores may still sell them.  I had heard it was up to the store managers if they wanted to carry kits.  The store in Watertown, NY still carried them last fall.  Not a big selection but they still sold them.  Haven't sold them at my two local stores for 10 years.