Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Hobby Lobby Restocking?

Has anyone heard if new stuff might be coming? Any rumors? I got sent to Hobby Lobby last night to get some poster board. While there, I passed by the model section and noticed they were pulling some kits off the shelf. The lady said they were getting ready for some new stuff, but she didn't know what it would be. That 40% coupon helps when I need more than one kit. I just buy it and then go out and come in and buy another.

From the shelf stickers I have seen locally, they will be carrying the AMT Surf Woody, '50 Ford convertible, '67 Impala, 1/32 scale Ranchero, Cushman Duster Kit Car, and a couple of other new items.  On the way out are the Revell '70 Torino GT, first version '67 Camaro, and probably the Round 2 Dukes of Hazzard kits (licensing ran out at years' end so no more will be produced).

Hobby Lobby and Walmart chased most of the LHS's out of business long ago. When I traveled a lot, I used to stop at the local shops and see what different things they stocked. One by one, they went out and they all said that when one of those guys came in, they couldn't compete. We have one left here in Austin and I try to go by there and buy something whenever I can.

Hobby Lobby and Walmart chased most of the LHS's out of business long ago. When I traveled a lot, I used to stop at the local shops and see what different things they stocked. One by one, they went out and they all said that when one of those guys came in, they couldn't compete. We have one left here in Austin and I try to go by there and buy something whenever I can.

Boy, I really wish I could still patronize my LHS.

I had a fantastic hobby shop here for many years.

When the owner died, that was that. :(

Steve

My son is a store manager for a large drug store chain.  They spend about 75% of their time restocking, changing, deleting stock and adding new SKU's. In today's over analyzed marketing.....the ONLY  constant is change.....I am sure HL is the same. 

If they are resetting their model section, it is a good thing because:

1. They will have some models marked down for clearance, usually 40% off. Great chance to stock up on some kits to build later or get that kit you wanted for some parts cheaper!

2. They will have some NEW kits and hopefully ones you have been waiting for to get with the 40% off coupon! 

Like Art said, they go through cycles to reset their various departments and sections, so no need to panic! It is always good to check with someone at the store if you have a question or request, sometimes it is just a matter of them ordering from their warehouse or checking the backroom.

I would love to see them add Tamiya spray paints (beyond the primers they already have) but realize that might be wishful thinking, given all the colors in the Tamiya line and the fact that they have a ton of Testors paints already.

Ours is the only game in town or for over 125 miles from me.  Even though ours is very slow to get kits in I hope they will continue to carry kits...with their 40% off coupon there more affordable to me.  I just wish they would carry or get more of the releases or re-issued older kits that have not been out in many years...seems like they get about 1/2 of what comes out if any at times.  Would be nice if they got the hobby shop only stuff but I know that is asking a lot.

That wouldn't be Kings Hobby would it?

Yep, it would! They don't have a huge selection of automotive stuff, but they are more than willing to find something for you and order it. They are good people there! They also do consignments. Last week I went by and they had 30 Danbury and Franklin Mint cars at reasonable prices. I ended up with a bent Duesenberg for $10. I'm thinking the chassis and engine would make a cool Mormon Meteor style Bonneville car someday.

Hobby Lobby used to carry some Tamiya and other import kits. I would love it if they would do that again. I buy from the LHS, but the price on Tamiya kits is just too much for me. With a 40% discount that might change.

Edited by oldcarfan

I don't have a local Hobby Lobby but there is one near my work in NJ.  It is a bit out of my way but I go there occasionally just to see what they have.  

As per chains cutting back on models, my local Michaels has reduced it's model shelf space TWICE in the last 6 months. It's now a third of what it was originally.  And not that it doesn't seem to be selling,  the shelves were pretty bare the days right after Christmas.  

Yep, it would! They don't have a huge selection of automotive stuff, but they are more than willing to find something for you and order it. They are good people there! They also do consignments. Last week I went by and they had 30 Danbury and Franklin Mint cars at reasonable prices. I ended up with a bent Duesenberg for $10. I'm thinking the chassis and engine would make a cool Mormon Meteor style Bonneville car someday.

If that Duesenberg is the Danbury SSJ roadster, it has the EXACT engine for the Mormon Metero (2-stage supercharger, dual carburetors, "Ram's Horn" intake runners).  I have 4 of those here that I've picked up at swap meets, and a nearly completed hand-carved Mormon Meteor body with all the Bonneville fairings and such, waiting for me to do the rest of the car.

Art

If that Duesenberg is the Danbury SSJ roadster, it has the EXACT engine for the Mormon Metero (2-stage supercharger, dual carburetors, "Ram's Horn" intake runners).  I have 4 of those here that I've picked up at swap meets, and a nearly completed hand-carved Mormon Meteor body with all the Bonneville fairings and such, waiting for me to do the rest of the car.

Art

That would be awesome!  Yes it is the same car. I lack the skills to do such exacting work, so my plan right now is to strip the damaged body off and build it as if some hotrodder had come across it in a junkyard in the 40s or 50s and decided to go to Bonneville.

Edited by oldcarfan

Ours is the only game in town or for over 125 miles from me.  Even though ours is very slow to get kits in I hope they will continue to carry kits...with their 40% off coupon there more affordable to me.  I just wish they would carry or get more of the releases or re-issued older kits that have not been out in many years...seems like they get about 1/2 of what comes out if any at times.  Would be nice if they got the hobby shop only stuff but I know that is asking a lot.

Mark, just a suggestion but you might want to speak with a manager or department worker and see if they can order stuff not stocked on their shelves. In retail, they look at sales history to determine what to stock but sometimes the people in charge don't realize what the demand is if it isn't stocked!  How many people walk in, don't see what they are looking for and walk out? 

I'm thinking the chassis and engine would make a cool Mormon Meteor style Bonneville car someday.

Al Raab, Ma's Resin has a 3d printed prototype of the Mormon Meteor in 1/25 scale.  I don't know his plans to produce it, but I'd say it's coming someday!

I asked the lady yesterday and she said they do one major reset and several minor resets during the year. They have the AMT Roadrunner, the one with the yellow car on the front and the Barris Dune Buggy on clearance at $14.99 so far.

I went to the Deerfield, IL store this afternoon and noticed a bunch of kits on the 40% off shelf, including the 1/32 Avanti, the Revell snap '63 Vette coupe, the '53 Studebaker, and various others - plus one last '36 Ford on a double markdown to $8.38. The 1/32 Ranchero was on the main shelf along with the '50 Ford convertible, but no Surf Woody yet.

I get emails almost daily from Hobby Lobby and most of the time I don't pay attention to them. Today, because I was bored, I opened it because it was titled "Clearance, up to 80% off!" and thought, what the heck!

They have some model kits listed and as near as I could tell they were 40% off. Not the 80% I was hoping for, but still a bargain if what they have there appeals to to. I did see the Revell 63 Corvette Hardtop, the TeeVee buggy, and a couple of others there that might be what you are looking for. 

Go to their main page at Hobby Lobby.com and search for clearance.