Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

The fronts I can at least understand, they're what was in the original kit.  I've already found replacements for out back, the slicks will go into the parts box with all those leftover wheels from the Atlantis reissue parts pack kits...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

There is no logic as far as what store gets wha

Your not kidding Our local store did get the Rat Fink IH rig, Trailer's along with the GMC General with the Coca Cola Trailer. We also had the Nova wagon, 64 Ford Galaxie, Ford Taxi, Coca Cols Dodge d-50, 41 Plymouth, 70 Corvette, coca cola 72 Pickup. Then they have the Mach5, 1/32 Green Hornet . Hot Wheels Camaro and the Bonneville which aren't selling well.  The other week they got the monogram kit's Both the 57 Chevy/Nomad, the 56 Chevy, 32 Ford, 82 Vette, and Trans am. Nothing Atlantis wise or AMT since they got the Monogram kit's!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark said:

Anyone else pick up one of those Revell Firebirds, and are you too shaking your head over the choice of rear tires in that kit?

Yeah, not sure what to do with this kit.  Maybe kit-bash?  The body mods are ok-ish, but I can’t stand that hood.🤔

I think it’s got potential though.  Just needs a lot of massaging.

Went to the first Ollies to open up in our area (Moline IL) with fingers crossed on finding a couple of the Nova AWB kit. Pretty much all that was there were the Monogram Ollies kits. All was not lost because i picked up a couple of the 32 Ford roadster (which I'm always looking for). It's kinda out of the way so I won't be able to get there often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Some had mentioned the price sticker being under the shrink wrap on some of these kits. I opened one up to check it out and realized something so I checked the others I have. The sticker is under the wrap on the Revell kits, the Round2 ones have it over. 

My OPINION..........

The AMT kits ae overstock kits.....thus price sticker outside.

The Revell kits, all not recent cataloged kits and made 3rdQ 2023, these were made for Ollies and were priced before shrink. 

The sticker inside is done to hurt the resellers.......weather Ollies or Revell pushed for this......who knows. 

• Like 2

And this was the magnificent selection at the Merrillville, IN store tonight.  The lone Round 2 offering was an opened Rupp 1/20 Snowmobile.

Orbited through the entire store, thinking there had to be a second grouping, somewhere.  Nope!

Apparently even the casual shoppers know to steer clear of that Firebird.  They did have a couple of the old Monogram '32 Fords so I snagged another one of those for parts, since it was 20% off.

20231219_003723.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I found an Ollies by me that had just opened. I picked up some AWB Chevy II kits and a 1970 Ford cop car kit. They were also 20% off. Got some cat toys and a nifty ice scraper. ALSO... a dehydrator with a temperature control knob.

I count my dehydrator a top ten model tool of all time!!!! Mine came from Big Lots back in 1990's!!

40 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I stopped in my Ollies yesterday to pick a few things up and there was this long line. One cashier. And during my trip through the store I didn't see another Ollies employee. Must be they can't keep help like everywhere else.

I can go into my local Dollar General, shop, self check, load my car and never see a single employee........

11 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I can go into my local Dollar General, shop, self check, load my car and never see a single employee........

Our Ollies doesn't have self check out. At least at my store, And the theft rate is so high in my area I doubt they ever will. Our local supermarket had to put sensors on the shopping carts because people were walking out with carts full of groceries. If the cart doesn't go through the check out. An alarm goes off and a camera takes a photo of the lobby area and the person. Sad it's come to this. Some convenient marts who use to be 24/7 now close in the evening because of multiple robberies.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I finally visited an Ollie's about an hour away from me because my wife had an appointment and left me with some time to kill. Although I bought 3 of the Monogram "made for Ollie's" kits (the 57 Nomad, 56 Chevy and 32 Ford Street Rod),  I never need to visit that place again. The cashier was surly and the entire place was filthy and reeked of desperation. 

8 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I count my dehydrator a top ten model tool of all time!!!! Mine came from Big Lots back in 1990's!!

I had a Magic Chef I added a dimmer switch to control the heat. But it stopped working. I could do another, but I'll give this one a go. I picked up a plastic sign to cut up for a 6 inch deep surround.

It occurred to me that all the current Ollie's Monogram kits were available in the Motorworks by Revell line, with the exception or the '64 Mustang convertible. I think these were  for Walmart? Not sure though.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.webp

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by larman
  • Like 2