Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

6 hours ago, Chris in Berwyn said:

Unless they produce or plan on special runs just for Ollies, I always think it is too bad to see some cool kits end up there (ie: the Chevy II, the Avanti and the modified Stocker.)...

I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of these were produced specifically for Ollies.  A couple years ago, Round 2 was definitely doing that, based on the production dates on the kits that were showing up at Ollies.

At that time they were also doing runs of some kits that weren't in their regular catalog at the time, like the Escalade EXT and the MPC '50 Mercury police car snapper.

That's also what Revell is doing right now for Ollies with some of those old Monogram "Classic Cruiser" kits like the old 1/24 '32 Ford roadster and now the bad '69 Camaro.

I was able to get a couple of the AWB Novas, an Opel GT, '32 Phaeton and the "Corvette". I have to admit, I get suckered in because these are cheap. I don't mind the Novas because I build mostly drag cars, so I will do something with them or the parts, same with the Opel. I want to build a later model gasser out of one of those and was glad to get it. Even the '32 is a good parts car, but just an FYI, the Corvette is not good at all and the parts are not even great. I knew better and bought it anyway, figuring I would pull the good parts and make some type of drag car out of it. I did not realize the body is "Palmeresque" in nature. Yikes! More power to you if you dig it and you know what it is, but if not, I would highly recommend leaving it on the shelf.

• Like 1

There are some nice engine parts in the Vette and a nice pair of slicks.  
Here is a pic of how the kit started out before getting modified over the years.  I read somewhere that the kit chassis is actually from the C2 Vette. I am building this kit now solely because the original kit is the first kit I ever built.  I got it for my 8th or 9th birthday and it got me hooked on this hobby for life!!EF9EDD7C-FBE6-4192-BBB4-42455364526A.jpeg.29f1f10f299aca9800896b7e638a11dc.jpeg

• Like 1

Nothing new at the Merritt Island, FL store. Seems like this round of kits is sitting on the shelves longer. Compare the top photo I took Wednesday and the bottom photo I took this morning. I remember when kits would get wiped out in hours, with people filling buggies up with kits. The two missing '62 Bel Air kits are now in my stash. LOL

As an aside, has this thread now surpassed the infamous Hobby Lobby thread? "I hope Ollie's gets ____ kit!"

IMG_20231122_133958959.thumb.jpg.5d071fce44bbe5deadee0f70d470bf13.jpg.167e1bbe19997ecdf42a8ffe9569d4db.jpg

IMG_20231125_110758178.thumb.jpg.50140f30b4a7580c3fcb6a5945581fc7.jpg

Edited by RSchnell
Added info.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, HomerS said:

Cincinnati (Forest Park) today.  There were two cases of 1/32 Green Hornet's on the tables towards the front but otherwise this was it.  

One of the other local stores had the Nova wagon's last week!

Ollies.jpeg

I'm guessing it's a regional thing.  Probably has a lot (or everything) to do with what the nearest distribution center gets.   I've been to many ollie's stores within a 2-3 hour radius of my home,  and they all look just like that or worse. 

Fingers crossed some of these good kits start making their way closer. 

Did a little internet sleuthing and it says Ollie's was founded in Mechanicsburg, PA.  They have 2 distribution centers: 1 in York, PA. and the other in Georgia. I am in PA. and check 3 stores. Usually, at least one will get a load of whatever good kits come in. The stores are all around 2 hours away from York. The Ollie's I have been to on the east coast of FL., Merritt Island, etc. seem to be pretty well stocked too. My guess is their stock comes from the Georgia distribution center.

Edited by larman
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, Chris in Berwyn said:

There are some nice engine parts in the Vette and a nice pair of slicks.  
Here is a pic of how the kit started out before getting modified over the years.  I read somewhere that the kit chassis is actually from the C2 Vette. I am building this kit now solely because the original kit is the first kit I ever built.  I got it for my 8th or 9th birthday and it got me hooked on this hobby for life!!EF9EDD7C-FBE6-4192-BBB4-42455364526A.jpeg.29f1f10f299aca9800896b7e638a11dc.jpeg

the body has some inaccuracies but there are a lot of good parts in the kit.  The 1:1 chassis is the essentially the same between the C2s (midyears) and C3s (sharks) as well.