Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

4 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Is that Camaro a recent addition to ollie's? 

Yes as far as I can tell it is one of those Monogram Classic Cruisers kits that Ollie's stores did a deal on where they aquired the contents and then had a print company print the boxes.

The ones I've seen in that series are the 57 Chevy Nomad, the 32 Ford Street Rod, the 56 Chevy,and now the 69 Camaro. All 1/24th scale. They're ones that we all built when we were younger and I always liked these. I'm glad to see these available for an affordable price too.

4 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

but it brings back a flood of memories for me.   

Me too I'll buy them whenever they get to my local stores. I appreciate the nostalgia of it, reminds me of my childhood. I recreated the old Monogram boxart using the Revell kit in 1/25th scale. 

Screenshot_20190124-155933.png

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I'd like to see the Rampage Camaro get re-issued also...

Screenshot_20190123-174903.jpg

Those look great!  I think I built this same kit about 3-4 times as a kid.  Two of the off-white ones and one of the orange cars.  But I’ve never done the box art.  Might have to if I come across one though.  Definitely has that 70’s vibe I’m currently into.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Is that Camaro a recent addition to ollie's? 

I know this is by no means one of the the better camaro kits, but it brings back a flood of memories for me.   

Yeah I remember that from my childhood too. I always thought the doors looked too tall

Fort Wayne Ollie’s was a bust tonight.  Very picked over, and none of the Monogram kits I was hoping for.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:30 PM, Dave Van said:

Nothing new in Lewisburg WV when I went today..............

My WM had a new display though.........

WMNOV23.jpg

Nice!  I see a couple there I’d snag if I had the chance.  None of the local WMs have kits yet this year.  Fingers crossed.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:49 PM, atomicholiday said:

How’s the steering wheel in your truck kit?  Mine was badly bent.  I contacted Round 2 for a replacement and they said ALL of the kits they had to pull parts from were bent.  They couldn’t send me one.

IMG_3437.jpeg.74785d9a25a7faf9537b90a9792410f8.jpeg

I checked my kit and same thing. At least it's not completely broken.

• Sad 1

On 11/8/2023 at 10:28 PM, disconovaman said:

I've been watching what different Ollie's has from what people have been posting. I see these Classic Cruisers Monogram/Revell kits such as the 56 Chevy and 69 Camaro. These were the Re-package kits by Ollies. (The Ollie's price tags were under the clear plastic) Recently my son picked up an AMT 63 Impala (the ones that Wal-Mart had awhile back.) Our local Ollie's had a single case of the Impalas with the custom body, he picked up the last one they had. I'm just wondering what other unique kits are out there... the Camaro is cool.

IMG_8874.jpg

I just got caught up in this thread and missed this one. Oh yeah…. I’ll be all over this Camaro kit. Most likely buy 3 or 4 or them at one go. LOL!  I loved those Monogram kits. My sister did that Camaro kit as a kid. She loved that kit too.

1 minute ago, BlackSheep214 said:

I loved those Monogram kits.

Me too! I can't find it at my local Ollie's in Virginia yet but I know these have been spotted in Illinois and Mississippi so far. They're illusive but hopefully there's a large inventory of them waiting to be distributed. 

On 11/20/2023 at 10:11 PM, Deathgoblin said:

I think I need to just start living at Ollies.  Want the '51 Chevy Bel Air  :)

46 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

My local Ollie’s had the ‘68 Vette as well.

I really was hoping to find the ‘51 Chevy. I saw a YouTube video that the ‘67 Chevelle (yellow car kit on box cover) Pro street chassis will fit on the ‘51 Chevy kit if you want to add the fat tires in the rear….

The pic with the '51 Chevy posted above by Dave Van is from Walmart, not Ollies.

Hit the Merritt Island, FL Ollie's today. They had the '65 Fairlane & Chevy II gasser on the shelf and the rest of the kits mixed in with the toys on one of those movable display racks they like to use. I grabbed a few & left the others for the resellers!

IMG_20231122_133958959.jpg

IMG_20231122_134005207.jpg

IMG_20231122_134147186.jpg

IMG_20231122_134151490.jpg

• Like 4

Unless they produce or plan on special runs just for Ollies, I always think it is too bad to see some cool kits end up there (ie: the Chevy II, the Avanti and the modified Stocker.)  That said, I did pick up a Barris Surf Woody there a few years back that I would not otherwise have bought, and I had a great time building it, so I have benefited from these deals.   In fact, I told my wife we are going to have to relocate back  East to be near an Ollies again.  So far she has not agreed!

• Like 1