Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Worst part of those Dodge truck kits, in my experience: the doors.  They use tiny plastic hinge pins that break if you look at them wrong.  If you want working doors, drill out those things and replace them with metal.  A common straight pin trimmed to fit will work. Or you can just glue the doors in place. But then you'll need to do some work on getting everything straight and flush.  They don't fit all that well.

As far as molding and flash, the Lindberg reissues of the Little Red Wagon etc. look better than some IMC originals I've seen.  I have an original IMC "Touch Tone Terror," the telephone version of the LRW.  Not only was it molded in a gruesome translucent see-thru white plastic, there was so much flash I practically had to whittle the parts out with an X-Acto knife.

As said the hinges are 1960s design and don't work.  They are also hugely out of scale. Look at the hinges modeled on the Jimmy Flintstone A100 van with fixed doors.

IMG 0186

I recommend gluing the doors shut, taking care to center them properly. Then take some Evergreen round stock and add non-working hinges to cover the indents on the doors. That's what I did on my A100 pickup.

Edited by Tom Geiger
Forgot to add the photo!

Today I took another trip to Ollies.  This makes my third trip in as many weeks.  Once again they had new models.  Not a huge amount of new kits, but new kits nonetheless.  I picked up a Polar Lights #43 Petty Talladega NASCAR  kit.

Today I took another trip to Ollies.  This makes my third trip in as many weeks.  Once again they had new models.  Not a huge amount of new kits, but new kits nonetheless.  I picked up a Polar Lights #43 Petty Talladega NASCAR  kit.

Same here,

my 3rd trip in 3 weeks. they had a boatload of the crown vic police cars and all kinds of military and sci-fi  kits ( no interest in any of them)

I did pick up 2 of the Petty Talladega kits just for grins  ,,,might make decent parts kit. ( these haven't been there the past 2 weeks ,,,so stock is being added as time goes by )

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Ollie's today, no new models, but I did find some nice automobile coffee table books though. Do yourself a favor and walk into the book section. I see lots of future builds I would like to do.

Still looking for a method in Ollie's madness, but I should probably just give up on that.

Back to Ollie's in Anderson, SC last Sunday.  One thing I noticed - a bunch of model kits were stacked near the Books section, not on the end-cap with the rest of the kits.  Though all of these were the old "Rube Goldberg" Weird-Oh kits - "Painless Tooth Puller" etc.  Wondered if these were worth getting as parts kits, decided not.  I did find a "Torture Wheel" to go along with the Iron Maiden I already have. 

They still had a lot of Lindberg "Color Me Gone" Dodges, and had put out a fresh batch of Revell Impala Police Cars (Snap-Kit but a good one).  Couple of weeks ago they only had 3 Impalas, which I bought. Also had quite a few 2011 Camaro convertibles. 

All the PL Tommy Grove Mustangs seemed to be gone, along with the Lindberg Little Red Wagons and Dodge L700s - both the single truck kit and the combo kit with trailer and '40 Ford.

Anyone buy an extra Revell 77 Monte Carlo That they are willing to part with? I bought a Johan 74 Oldsmobile that the roof is toast on and need a Monte Carlo to redo the Oldsmobile with. I also posted in the Wanted section about this.

• 4 months later...

Here is the new flyer page:

Thanks!  Will try to check my local Ollie's this weekend.

Looks like the LINDBERG 1/32 1915 Model T Coupelet is lurking in that flyer.  That's a nice little kit, with pretty good engine and chassis detail for being in the "wrong scale."

Diorama idea: this year is the centennial of the US Army's 1916 "Punitive Expedition" against Pancho Villa.  That expedition marked the first widespread use of automobiles by the Army, and that Model T's model year of 1915 is perfect.  It's also sort-of perfect because many of the units chasing Villa were from the Arizona, New Mexico and Texas National Guard.  Their officers most likely used some of their own private vehicles in the Expedition - the National Guard at that time was still more like a state militia than today's uniform, federalized Guard.

It would be nice to have a kit, in any scale, of the most common car used in the Punitive Expedition, the Dodge touring car.  Gen. "Black Jack" Pershing and 1/Lt. George Patton both used Dodges in the Punitive Expedition.  Pancho Villa was so impressed by their performance that he bought his own 1919 Dodge touring.  He was riding in that Dodge when he was shot to death in 1923. 

Only interesting (to me) car was the reissued Sock It To Me AMT '62 Corvette. Thought it was worth an $8 gamble to see if I could get a sparkly orange one. Not my lucky day, oh well.

Hobby Lobby had a bunch of good stuff on clearance. Bought another '69 Corvair and a Revell '58 Corvette cheap. Never had that kit but I keep hearing it's a goodie.

Went to my local Ollie's tonight (9/2/16) in North Olmsted, OH.  They had a bunch of kits, most that are in the flyer.

I picked up the Dodge Rammunition for $7.99 and a Dodge L-700 & '40 Ford Coupe with flatbed trailer for $19.99.

Might go back later and pick up a Dodge Charger Super Bee.

I will be near one tomorrow, have to check it out.

The one on 51 at Independence has a ton of Raminators and L700/40 Ford combos along with a new Charger but not much else, there was one MPC snap Blazer and a Connie Kalitta Mustang when I left plus some armor and planes.

I checked the one in Huntington, WV. They had 1/8 Canary T's and Exterminator dragsters. Almost got them and thought what a huge box to store. They did have the L700/40 combos, AMT 62 Corvette, 66 Olds 442 and Raminators. I couldn't find anything worth storing.

The one on 51 at Independence has a ton of Raminators and L700/40 Ford combos along with a new Charger but not much else, there was one MPC snap Blazer and a Connie Kalitta Mustang when I left plus some armor and planes.

I would have snatched up that snap Blazer, the tires aren't that great but the rest of it builds decent. I will have to swing by there tomorrow and see if it is still there.