Model Cars Magazine Forum

In 1973, who could have guessed that,

Before, Iggy wrote the song.

Search & Destroy was penned in 1971 by James "Iggy Pop" Osterberg while he was in England on Main Man's dime (at David Bowie's behest ) . The song's title was taken from the front cover of Newsweek ( IIRC ) about a 'search and destroy' mission in Vietnam.

The two songs which really make me laugh which are oft misappropriated :

- Lust for Life ( 1977 ; song's influence was Burroughs' The Ticket That Exploded  amongst other Burroughs' books )

- Walk on the Wild Side ( Lou Reed , 1972 ) , which is a song about the "Superstars" of Andy Warhol's Factory ; the transvestites , hustlers , rent boys , etc. , etc.

Edited by 1972coronet

Search & Destroy  , indeed . Creem magazine , 1974 . Iggy Pop takes a hammer to numerous copies of Raw Power , which by '74 was in the bargain bin at numerous record stores all over the country .

BTW , Raw Power is defintely not for the weak ! It's one of my all-time favourite albums , esp the 1997 C.D. issue .5735242e3d0b2_CreemIggyPop.thumb.jpg.95a5735256f64148_backcoverRawPower.thumb.jp

In 1970 I saw my first Boss 302 in Grabber Blue,   my first of anything in that color.  Who would have thought that 43 yrs later I'd again be able to get a 5.0 liter Mustang in Grabber Blue with more horse power and twice the gas mileage.  I'm glad I lived that long.

Add to that Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" being used to sell Mitsubishi SUVs.

Probably the most ignorant one that I recall was CCR's "Fortunate Son" used in a Wrangler jeans commercial.  You've got to wonder if anyone involved ever actually LISTENED to the lyrics of the entire song...

Edited by Robberbaron

You've got to wonder if anyone involved ever actually LISTENED to the lyrics of the entire song...

I wonder that just about every day when I watch commercials. Just because a song has a catchy riff it doesn't mean that it is something you want associated with your company.

Garnier learned that with their commercials. They had a song that has one of the best piano tracks ever in it. Turns out the song ("Diamonds and Guns" by Transplants) is about drugs, theft, murder and worse. Big ado about that.

Special K is using a song called "I Love It" by Icona Pop. It's a breakup song with a bit of rage.

The list goes on and on...