Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unleaded15... is this stuff any good?

After a little digging, corn futures are currently selling for under $4.00 a bushel on July Delivery, that's probably too low for much of any profit on the stuff. Beets are also far a far thirstier plant to grow when compared to corn and are only good for foor or fuel, while corn can be used to feed food as well as fuel and oil.

Is the SHO 3.0 the Yamaha engine?? Joe beets do not taste good...

The key word is "was", :) I got rid of the car in 1993. I hit a large pothole near the 59th St. Bridge and the rear struts went right through the top of the strut towers. it wasn't worth the cost of repairing the resulting damage. 

I like borscht with some sour cream. :D 

This essentially reflects my opinion on corn-ethanol as fuel. I admit I'm not current...this is a 2001 article. Things MAY have changed (but I doubt by much).

Ethanol fuel from corn faulted as 'unsustainable subsidized food burning' in analysis by Cornell scientist

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/08/ethanol-corn-faulted-energy-waster-scientist-says

NOTE: I think alcohol fuel produced from WASTE biomass (and employing waste industrial heat that's normally dumped into the atmosphere to distill it) has tremendous potential, and I was involved with a pilot program that used SOLAR stills to refine alcohol to fuel-grade in the early 1980s. Two very logical and promising technologies we don't hear much about.

Hmmmm. Logical. KILL IT! KILL IT DEAD!!! (emphasis added by Charlie)

It's disturbing how true that is.

And no, you're not out of date. A bunch of stuff I've seen recently still says essentially the same thing.

Charlie Larkin

Harry do not take a chance with your car. It is not worth it. The EPA does not cover your warranty, not that one is still covering your car.  

The only place to get straight gas here is a Marina.

A good friend is a farmer. they laugh about the Ethanol craze. 

Talking about beets, Sugar beets and squash were a good crop until the local plants shut down.

Then a new Ethanol plant was  built very close to one of the plants that closed. He was telling me just what Joe said, they sold the corn the the plant then turned around and picked up the bye product for close to nothing to feed the cattle. Now this product does not last forever like dry feed does but the price was right. 

Just so you know Joe, one of the byproducts of Ethanol production is a product known as Distiller's Grains, both wet and dried, which is livestock feed that is better for cattle than straight field corn;)

Something else to consider, this is a crude oil spill from a pipeline burst in Arkansas

255101_oilspill.jpg

and this is a crude ethanol spill in Pennsylvania

5449720feb9ab.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C90

Which would you prefer in your back yard?

Joe, I was pondering your question further. Google "Greenpoint oil spill". My neighborhood in Brooklyn sits on a 30,000,000 gallon oil spill, THREE times the size of the Exxon Valdez spill, thanks to Standard Oil/Mobil/ExxonMobil, Amoco/BP and Paragon Oil/ChevronTexaco. Check out some of the oil spill-related hijinks and stories:

Site of the Great Greenpoint Sewer Explosion

The Most Terrifying Fire in Greenpoint History

The Ooze

New York's Dirty Secret: The effort to clean up America's largest oil spill

With that amount of petroleum underground, we could apply for membership in OPEC.

So, in rethinking my answer, I'd say either would be preferable compared to what we have. :) 

Please don't blame the farmers as they are not making money on this ordeal! My grand mother had a farm and barley made much at the end of the year. Remember this: Famer has to pay for the seed, furterlizer, Fuel to plant, spay to keep weeds down, More fuel, Repairs on farm eqipment, food, insurance for the car's crop's equipment, Land taxes, propane to dry (if they have bins)  Then if it's a bumper crop year they get less for the crop, the middle man and big corperations are the ones making the big Money on all this! Ethyl has been around along time, Most of us have see the gasoline ads  where the customer say's fill'er up with ethyl. Those ads or from the 1950's< then the gasohol craze of the 1970's-80's also hit.

Please don't blame the farmers as they are not making money on this ordeal! My grand mother had a farm and barley made much at the end of the year. Remember this: Famer has to pay for the seed, furterlizer, Fuel to plant, spay to keep weeds down, More fuel, Repairs on farm eqipment, food, insurance for the car's crop's equipment, Land taxes, propane to dry (if they have bins)  Then if it's a bumper crop year they get less for the crop, the middle man and big corperations are the ones making the big Money on all this! Ethyl has been around along time, Most of us have see the gasoline ads  where the customer say's fill'er up with ethyl. Those ads or from the 1950's< then the gasohol craze of the 1970's-80's also hit.

We shouldn't blame the farmers, the Ethanol producers, the gas stations or the auto makers.

There's only one entity to blame, & we all know who that is.

We have to remember, this is all coming from the same administration who believes they're "saving the planet" by utterly destroying the coal business.

Soon, rather than a chicken in every pot, there will be a wind generator in every yard when this bunch gets through.

Steve

I agree that the government is behind all of this. It's not the "free market" demanding 15% ethanol.

Ain't it funny....the same bunch of stronzos who made sure we couldn't get alcohol for thirteen years because it wasn't good for you are now extolling its virtues. You want that i check yer earl, pally? 

Ethyl has been around along time, Most of us have see the gasoline ads  where the customer say's fill'er up with ethyl. Those ads or from the 1950's< then the gasohol craze of the 1970's-80's also hit.

Wrong. No offense intended, but you're confusing two totally unrelated things that sound alike.

Sometimes it really is good to get your facts straight and know what you're talking about BEFORE you post.

The "ethyl" you are mistakenly referring to is in fact the shortened name for TETRAETHYL LEAD that was the additive used in gasoline to raise octane rating back in the leaded-fuel days.

http://www.britannica.com/science/tetraethyl-lead

It had nothing whatsoever to do with ethyl-alcohol.

You are, however, correct that alcohol fuel HAS been around for a while. Henry Ford himself was a strong proponent of using crop-based alcohol as a fuel to help bolster the US farm economy in the wake of the crash of 1929. Ford was also a leader in experimenting with structural materials based on renewable sources, like his "soy car", bodied with fiberglass-like panels made from plant products.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ford was also a leader in experimenting with structural materials based on renewable sources, like his "soy car", bodied with fiberglass-like panels made from plant products.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-resources/popular-topics/soy-bean-car/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

What was old is new again. Funny how things seem to go around in circles. Whether it is fashion or gasoline blends.

I remember seeing the first modern retractable-top on a concept car (in the '90s, IIRC it was a Nissan) touted as something new and I immediately thought that it has already been done in the '50s (Ford Skyliner).

• 6 months later...

I knkw this is an old thread, but I had the Jeep out and about today and topped it off at the Aurora Thorntons with E15/Unleaded15.  Put about 13gal in it on top of the 87 octane E10 that was already in it and drover out to Downers Grove, then back to Wheaton after my Kid Sister and her BF were in a parking lot wreck with her Challenger (grrrrrrr, sounds like the other driver wasn't paying attention until AFTER her car hit my Sisters and stopped moving), followed them back to West Chicago before driving to Geneva and back (planned on going to the Michaels in Downers, but got waylayed).  Truck ran fine, seems to get better the farther I drove it, might have been the extra alcohol starting to clean out the gunk the gasoline left behind from it being mostly parked for the better part of the last 2 years, otherwise, I'm  not sure, doubt the extra octane point helps it that much.

That Ethanol gas will degrade much quicker than straight gas.  If you are leaving a vehicle parked a lot, you may want to look for some non-ethanol gas - doesn't go bad as quick.  Look it up online.  Plenty of articles on it.  I worked for hte state motorcycle program and we constantly had fuel issues with ethanol gas.  It does all sorts of nasty stuff in the fuel system.  

That Ethanol gas will degrade much quicker than straight gas.  If you are leaving a vehicle parked a lot, you may want to look for some non-ethanol gas - doesn't go bad as quick.  Look it up online.  Plenty of articles on it.  I worked for hte state motorcycle program and we constantly had fuel issues with ethanol gas.  It does all sorts of nasty stuff in the fuel system.  

That's why I have my fuel filter on my cruiser changed every year.