Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build it, and they will come. The future of our hobby.

...couldn't care less about what hobbies they take up...

Exactly.

Why anyone should be concerned about what hobby another person chooses is beyond me. It's their choice. Not mine. And their choice should have nothing to do with what I chose as a hobby any more than the color shirt they wear should be in accordance with the color shirt I wear.

We focus on the car side of things. I have seen lots of kids buying Gundam kits and war gaming figures in my LHS. I have even overheard one of the employees tell someone in the store that those sections of the store is where most of their money is made. There are kids in the modeling hobby, they just found their own niche.

Yep. Recently, a barely-making-a-profit hobby shop in town has been sold, renamed, cleaned up by new owner who has filled his store with all manner of sci-fi and mecha model kits and is doing very well now. I started my eldest son building car models but these mech kits with the anime and a subculture behind them are where his interest is at this time.

It's jus' the way it is, and I'm glad that for the foreseeable future, I'll be able to pick from the widest array of kits and components and materials in the history of Man.

Kids not interested? Fine. More for me. :D

And this goes double for me. The future of this hobby looks just fine for the remainder of at least my lifetime. I'll turn 48 in June and I'm still a youngster to many here. Beyond that it's someone elses problem. I do really appreciate that Revell and Round2 seem to understand who their target customers are now and are planning their kits accordingly. If, as the eldest of us start to pass on and sales perhaps dip, that may change. But by then I'll have all the kits I need.

Exactly.

Why anyone should be concerned about what hobby another person chooses is beyond me. It's their choice. Not mine. And their choice should have nothing to do with what I chose as a hobby any more than the color shirt they wear should be in accordance with the color shirt I wear.

I've said a bazillion times before...and been misunderstood every damm time...that parents and teachers have a DUTY to expose young people to as wide a variety of interests and possibilities as is humanly possible.

This does NOT mean they should cram their particular interests down their kids' throats.

It simply means that if children see nothing of the world but what they get from their myopic little pack-running peers, they're going to have a very narrow and pathetic world-view...and make poor-performing, uninformed, ignorant adults.

SOME kids WILL look around and find things that aren't right under their noses. Many won't...and it's the place of those who bring them in to the world, and those who get paid to "educate" them, to show them something other than phone apps and popular 'culture'.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've said a bazillion times before...and been misunderstood every damm time...that parents and teachers have a DUTY to expose young people to as wide a variety of interests and possibilities as is humanly possible.

This does NOT mean they should cram their particular interests down their kids' throats.

It simply means that if children see nothing of the world but what they get from their myopic little pack-running peers, they're going to have a vary narrow and pathetic world-view...and make poor-performing, uninformed, ignorant adults.

Kids are exposed to plenty of stuff. They don't need us to "open their eyes" to model cars. Like I said, if a kid has an interest in cars, he/she will find model cars. If they have no interest in that, it's not our job to expose them to it.

If a guy rang my doorbell and said he wanted to introduce me to the wonderful world of bonsai, my answer would be... hey, you know, if I had an interest in miniature trees I would already be involved in it. You aren't going to create an interest in me that doesn't exist.

Bottom line is... let others choose their own hobby. Their own interests will lead them, not our interests.

SOME kids WILL look around and find things that aren't right under their noses. Many won't...and it's the place of those who bring them in to the world, and those who get paid to "educate" them, to show them something other than phone apps and popular 'culture'.

Again, it seems you're inferring I'm saying kids should be led to modeling, forced to build models, taught to build models, etc.

I'm not saying that at all. 

Tell me how an inner-city kid born into a gang-banger thug culture is going to ever see model cars...or that it's possible to get a pilots licence, or be a chemist or engineer or astronomer or advertising executive... if someone doesn't show him?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I do see exposure of kids to modeling from relatives as being a positive thing, I got into it as a child because my older brother had built models when he was a kid, and he helped me build them when I was young.   I also got interested in a lot of music through him and my older sister.  My Dad was into beekeeping and woodworking as hobbies, I never got into those hobbies, but I was aware of them.    My peers in school weren't into to modeling that I knew of, Dungeons and Dragons and video games on Ataris, etc were pretty popular...I dabbled in video games, and then computers (first w/ a Commodore 64, that interest led to my college major and my career, but that's another story). 

Again, it seems you're inferring I'm saying kids should be led to modeling, forced to build models, taught to build models, etc.

I'm not saying that at all. 

Tell me how an inner-city kid born into a gang-banger thug culture is going to ever see model cars...or that it's possible to get a pilots licence, or be a chemist or engineer or astronomer or advertising executive... if someone doesn't show him?

Right, as parents, we expose are kids to all sorts of new things, and if they take interest , great, then be supportive.

How did you find out about modeling?

The kid next door showed me his model cars and I liked them. So I decided I'd like to try that, too. But he wasn't trying to get me into model cars. They were just there, and I saw them, liked them, and decided to build my own.

The kid next door showed me his model cars and I liked them. So I decided I'd like to try that, too. But he wasn't trying to get me into model cars. They were just there, and I saw them, liked them, and decided to build my own.

I did not say to try and force the kids into it, I just said to expose them to it. Just like your neighbor. It is harder now to randomly come across model kits than it was even just a few years ago. I believe I saw my first model kit walking down the toy aisle in a Woodward & Lothrup department store. Then I found other kids in my neighborhood that built models. Now, even the big box stores are no longer carrying kits. Kids won't look up from their phones and iPads unless there is something else to do. I was away from the hobby for 30 years and was glad it was still here when I wanted to start building again, although I had to go to the internet to get reconnected (which is how I found this site).

Now with that said, I have no idea how you could randomly expose a kid to modeling. Some of the responses make me think you guys are old man Johnson that lived at the end of our street. Rumor was, he would eat children if he caught them on his lawn.

Why?

Since you asked:

When we enjoy something, we want to share it with others because we think they might like it too.  Maybe it's a relic of the days when we'd share the good hunting spots with the rest of the tribe.  I suppose there is that whole idea of passing the collected wisdom of society along to the next generation.

There is also a certain amount of self interest.  If the kids are interested in models, then they will want to buy them, which means more money to the kit makers, which means they'll stay in business a little longer to keep making kits for us, and maybe even have the money to make more kits that we want.  Some of them might want to learn more about modelling y buying more copies of Model Cars Magazine, which mean you get to keep your job a little longer.

Just a thought.

Some of them might want to learn more about modelling y buying more copies of Model Cars Magazine, which mean you get to keep your job a little longer.

It's not my job. I'm not an employee of Model Cars Magazine. I'm a freelance graphic artist. MCM is just one of many clients I have, but none of them are my employers. I'm self-employed.

Why?

Because you're OLD.

It's a BUSINESS, that sells HOBBY ITEMS. 

People here have feeding frenzy over 40% off coupons and discounts at whatever stores, or rant over demise of hobby shops (or tiny little boxes). THOSE ARE BUSINESSES. Dead or carrying models as incidentals. 

I don't care what your hobbies are, that's not the point. 

Only idiots invest in making items for a shrinking market. Sales and profits need to GROW. 

Personally, I know a lot of kids that love cars, and models of 30-50 year old (80-100year old in some cases) lame American cars have exactly ZERO interest to them. Go to a car show with young kids at it, not "Kruze Nite"

Drifting. Autocross/Protouring. Cars with laptops mounted to dash for tunes and combustion/boost/exhaust parameters, not a stupid tach screwed onto the column. Imports, not with fart cans, but real swaps. 24hrs of Lemons. Serious track days at real racetracks. FWD drag racing.

No surprise all the model companies have had multiple owners. At least the current crew are trying despite the myopic crew here. 

If you run a business, employ people, understand markets, and how life is not what it was 5 years ago, alone 30 years ago, you know it's a daily race. If you are complacent, selling to same audience, NOTHING is forever. 

Now #getoffmylawn :D

Don't underestimate kids' interest in building models. If it tickles their fancy, they'll build'em. There must be other age groups besides adults buying model kits. Otherwise, the manufacturers wouldn't be producing them. The lack of kid sightings at model shows isn't a good indication of the state of the hobby either. Face it, these shows are attended by middle aged to old farts for whom they are the styrene equivalent of the Raccoon Lodge. Kids don' need no stinkin' clubs or shows to have fun.

Have been building models for about 50 years now. Have only belong to a model for about 25. Your right "Kids don' need  no stinkin' clubs or shows to have fun." I sure didn't.

Right, as parents, we expose are kids to all sorts of new things, and if they take interest , great, then be supportive.

If I didn't take the time to expose my son to buzgashi, he'd never seriously consider aerospace engineering as his area of interest.

Why?

Because you're OLD.

It's a BUSINESS, that sells HOBBY ITEMS. 

People here have feeding frenzy over 40% off coupons and discounts at whatever stores, or rant over demise of hobby shops (or tiny little boxes). THOSE ARE BUSINESSES. Dead or carrying models as incidentals. 

I don't care what your hobbies are, that's not the point. 

Only idiots invest in making items for a shrinking market. Sales and profits need to GROW. 

Personally, I know a lot of kids that love cars, and models of 30-50 year old (80-100year old in some cases) lame American cars have exactly ZERO interest to them. Go to a car show with young kids at it, not "Kruze Nite"

Drifting. Autocross/Protouring. Cars with laptops mounted to dash for tunes and combustion/boost/exhaust parameters, not a stupid tach screwed onto the column. Imports, not with fart cans, but real swaps. 24hrs of Lemons. Serious track days at real racetracks. FWD drag racing.

No surprise all the model companies have had multiple owners. At least the current crew are trying despite the myopic crew here. 

If you run a business, employ people, understand markets, and how life is not what it was 5 years ago, alone 30 years ago, you know it's a daily race. If you are complacent, selling to same audience, NOTHING is forever. 

Now #getoffmylawn :D

^^This!! so much this.  

"Personally, I know a lot of kids that love cars, and models of 30-50 year old (80-100year old in some cases) lame American cars have exactly ZERO interest to them. Go to a car show with young kids at it, not "Kruze Nite"

Drifting. Autocross/Protouring. Cars with laptops mounted to dash for tunes and combustion/boost/exhaust parameters, not a stupid tach screwed onto the column. Imports, not with fart cans, but real swaps. 24hrs of Lemons. Serious track days at real racetracks. FWD drag racing."

As much as I like muscle cars, the stuff you list here is what really gets me excited, and is why I order most of my car kits these days from Japan. 

If I didn't take the time to expose my son to buzgashi, he'd never seriously consider aerospace engineering as his area of interest.

Hmmmm....I'm sure there's a logical progression from one to the other, but my tiny little mind can't seem to make the conceptual leap of faith.

Hmmmm....I'm sure there's a logical progression from one to the other, but my tiny little mind can't seem to make the conceptual leap of faith.

He'd rather design aircraft than dragging goat carcasses across the park. His choice, waddya gonna do?