Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build it, and they will come. The future of our hobby.

Ill go with the thought that kids will find their own interests and hobbies, my Dad had zero interest in cars, not one person in my family or any of my friends built plastic model kits, but somehow back in 1988 I discovered you could actually build scale models of cars, there were no hobby shops where i lived back then (In fact there still isnt now !), nor where there dedicated model magazines or the Internet.

But looking at that Tamiya Mini cooper kit in that regular toy shop back in 1988 and that rack of Humbrol tinned paint got me started on my styrene journey.

Edited by Mr Stock

The kid next door showed me his model cars and I liked them. So I decided I'd like to try that, too. But he wasn't trying to get me into model cars. They were just there, and I saw them, liked them, and decided to build my own.

So you are saying that the kid next door exposed you (opened your eyes) to model cars?  So it is ok, for a kid to expose things to other kids, but not for an adult to expose a youth to a model car hobby?  Do I sense a contradiction here?

If that kid didn't show you his models you might have never got into the hobby.  Do you see what I did there?

Maybe we should just better define "exposing" vs. "cramming something down their throat".  :D  To me"exposing" is exactly what that kid did for you.   You could show some of your models or even your workshop to some kid without forcing them to try building a model.  That is what "exposing" is all about.

Edited by peteski

My point is that I don't believe we have some sort of duty to bring kids into the hobby, any more than people who are into woodworking or scrapbooking have a duty to bring kids into their hobby. Kids will (and should) find their own hobby based on their own interests. Not based on my interests.

My Niece has a  two boys ( 16 and 14) that dabel in building.  Her husband's boy's do not like it. Yes I have asked them all. The 14 year old has the most interest and wants to raid my stash . LOL 

I get him the Ollies kits as he does not know the difference. Funny how he wants to build the older stuff. 

So you are saying that the kid next door exposed you (opened your eyes) to model cars?  So it is ok, for a kid to expose things to other kids, but not for an adult to expose a youth to a model car hobby?  Do I sense a contradiction here?

If that kid didn't show you his models you might have never got into the hobby.  Do you see what I did there?

Maybe we should just better define "exposing" vs. "cramming something down their throat".  :D  To me"exposing" is exactly what that kid did for you.   You could show some of your models or even your workshop to some kid without forcing them to try building a model.  That is what "exposing" is all about

I see what you did there, and I don't see that Harry said that at all. Man, people are so quick to get uptight these days.

Seems like you and Harry are uptight about it. Whatever.

Bringing kid into hobby isn't about forcing a kid to build models, that's idiotic. 

Sharing the hobby with someone is the point. 

But, some people are just too self-centered to do that, yet want models of a slagged out Dart 4-dr like uncle Dilweed had. 

It's a business we patronize. We must enjoy it, so if one is capable of sharing that with someone, cool. But if we don't try to keep someone around that likes this stuff, there won't be any new stuff. I'm fine if a new kit never comes out. But it is an issue. 

Not thinking people either care, or understand I guess. 

If a guy rang my doorbell and said he wanted to introduce me to the wonderful world of bonsai, my answer would be... hey, you know, if I had an interest in miniature trees I would already be involved in it. You aren't going to create an interest in me that doesn't exist.

So that's what the nicely dressed people knocking on my door last Saturday wanted??? 

Kids can build models of cars, tanks, airplanes, or the hobby may end up as....

MODEL WASHING MACHINE.JPG

You laugh, but have you seen some of the things the Japanese companies have released as kits?  

John Hanley, the founder of Jo-Han Models, started out making scale model kitchen appliances.    There might actually be a market among the doll house and miniatures fanciers for some nicely done miniature appliances in the right scale.

Some of the responses make me think you guys are old man Johnson that lived at the end of our street. Rumor was, he would eat children if he caught them on his lawn.

We have a lot of Old Man Johnsons on the site. I don't think a week goes by that we don't have a rant about "kids today".

I missed the "rant about kids today" part of this thread. Please direct me to it.  

Simple Definition of rant:

•  to talk loudly and in a way that shows anger : to complain in a way that is unreasonable

I'm just not seein' it.     :D

•  

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Kids can build models of cars, tanks, airplanes, or the hobby may end up as....

MODEL WASHING MACHINE.JPG

At least it wasn't initially issued 40 years ago, updated for a couple of years, converted into a show rod, some of the molds lost and recreated, converted back to stock, reissued a couple of times and finally in the Q3 announcements with a celebrity endorsement as "All New Tooling!"

Besides, the washing machine kit is 1/2" too short, the window in the door is not domed enough, the drain hose is mounted at the top, and decals are included for only one color variation.

At least it wasn't initially issued 40 years ago, updated for a couple of years, converted into a show rod, some of the molds lost and recreated, converted back to stock, reissued a couple of times and finally in the Q3 announcements with a celebrity endorsement as "All New Tooling!"

Besides, the washing machine kit is 1/2" too short, the window in the door is not domed enough, the drain hose is mounted at the top, and decals are included for only one color variation.

But it IS molded in only two snap-together pre-decorated parts (white and clear) so you feel the satisfaction of "building something" without having to expend any actual effort, use sharp and dangerous tools, smelly and toxic glue and paint, or have any boring-to-learn skills. It also comes with a free smart-phone virtual-laundry app and a washing-machine-sound ring-tone....plus a downloadable certificate of modeling accomplishment you can print and proudly display.

And don't forget to check out the special FB page so you can exchange fun stories and blurry photos of your build with other washing-machine-kit enthusiasts (many of whom, we've found, don't know how to do real laundry) as well as get advice about challenges you may encounter during assembly of the two parts.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

But it IS molded in only two snap-together pre-decorated parts (white and clear) so you feel the satisfaction of "building something" without having to expend any actual effort, use sharp and dangerous tools, smelly and toxic glue and paint, or have any boring-to-learn skills. It also comes with a free smart-phone virtual-laundry app and a washing-machine-sound ring-tone....plus a downloadable certificate of modeling accomplishment you can print and proudly display.

And don't forget to check out the special FB page so you can exchange fun stories and blurry photos of your build with other washing-machine-kit enthusiasts (many of whom, we've found, don't know how to do real laundry) as well as get advice about challenges you may encounter during assembly of the two parts.

Brudda, I'm voting for you. :D 

And the old timers will tell you how the kids have it too easy, and how they had to carve their own washing machines out of balsa wood.

I find that a lot of things considered hobbies, would not interest many kids nowadays. Stamp collecting? Lame! Baseball cards? Boring! Model trains? Who has the space for that? Model cars? Too much time spent just to put it on the shelf and forget it.

Does that make me sound old? Well I'm 28 and have been building models in some form since 1st grade. However out of everyone I knew in school, only one person built models, and not that many. However, I think it's a case of having more options for things to do in your spare time (or less spare time to use).

Another issue is many hobbies feel like old person things to younger people. Go to a model show and its groups of older guys with the occasional younger folks. Go to a car show and see all the old farts sitting next to their stock '57 Bel Air, wearing a Hawaiian style shirt with Corvettes on it.

Finally, where's all the kits of newer vehicles that aren't super cars or the Camaro/Vette/Mustang? I know nothing gets me more excited than going to Micheals and seeing nothing but Corvettes and vintage reissues. /sarcasm

And the old timers will tell you how the kids have it too easy, and how they had to carve their own washing machines out of balsa wood.

...while walking to school and back ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways, barefoot, carrying 50 pounds of books and only a hatchet to fight off the bears. And of course the hatchet was also the only tool they had to build models with too.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Go to a car show and see all the old farts sitting next to their stock '57 Bel Air, wearing a Hawaiian style shirt with Corvettes on it.

:D Hey man, I'm an old fart and I think most of those guys are pretty lame too...with their checkbook rods and restos that live in air-conditioned garages and get to the shows in trailers. B)

I exposed my 12 year old step-son to the model hobby and bought him a few Revell snap kits over the last couple of years to test the waters, then sat down and built them with him. Despite my love of the hobby it has not happened for him and that is fine. I do not expect him to like anything I do but as a parent it is my obligation to take an active roll in my children's lives by trying to broaden their horizons. It was more about the time we spent together as a father and son so when he's grown at least he can look back and know that I cared. Especially considering his worthless piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH biological dad has been no better than a sperm donor.

And, even though he has not expressed the desire to build more models he acts like he treasures the ones that we did build. To him, they represent much more than plastic cars.

B)