Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build it, and they will come. The future of our hobby.

Bill, now I need a new keyboard. But collecting old washers is a thing, and the new HE washers suck so I'm thinking restomod solar belt-drive baby. 

Exposing kids and even other adults, vets, bored retirees, whatever, is just a human thing. Just time to hang out and talk, even if they just watch. Broaden horizons and maybe make both people's lives better. Kinda like a model meet with better hygiene, or a board without electrons. 

OMG Joe, he's on the LAWN!!!

I've never quite understood the brain wiring that takes pleasure in mindless destruction.

Whatever.

Same here. What a total waste of time, electricity, washer, etc. Just when you think people can't possibly get any more stupid... along comes one even lower on the evolutionary ladder.

Maybe somebody could have got him interested in models as a kid....

Maybe he was interested in models as a kid then his dad foolishly intervened and exposed him to the hobby of catastrophic appliance self destruction and it permanently redirected his passion in life? And here the poor guy was just trying to spend quality time with his boy...

B) 

If you really want to inspire people, build washerhenge. Fridgehenge is so last week. On the upside, not a lot of kids seem to play there repeatedly ;)

Maybe an interactive washer challenge race? Longest distance walked for an unbalanced load??

Wow, the hidden dangers of showing kids modeling.:o

fridgehenge_1.thumb.jpg.62a640337ea81020

I have noticed over here (England) that model kits are no longer found in toy shops, I have just started building star wars kits and the nephew was instantly interested and wanted to build one with me. I went looking for some revell lights and sounds kits but couldn't find them anywhere in a shop and had to order from amazon. Surely if revell want to sell these kits aimed at young kids they should be in toy shops so kids actually see them and get interested, how many kids under 10 are browsing amazon for model kits that they do not know exist ?

Don't look too askance at the washing machine collectors - my friend Richard, back in the desert, collects them and has some cool cars as well ('69 bench seat 4-4-2 'vert he bought new and a '60 348 Impala sedan among them). There is something appealing about the '50s-modern design with the flashy control panels...

Don't look too askance at the washing machine collectors - There is something appealing about the '50s-modern design with the flashy control panels...

And if you can small find parts, the machines will still be cranking out laundry well after the computer-controlled plastic-guts carp machines they're making now are scrapped.

They're built like tanks, from a time when every last bit of real quality and long-term reliability hadn't been cost-engineered out to make a couple more bucks.

I had a 50-year old machine at the last house. Other than one plastic part that dried out and disintegrated (I was able to source an identical new part online), the machine made nice clean clothes for close to 20 years I had it.

Somehow, it managed to do it with no video-game touch-screen control panel, no remote, no computer, no phone app, and no internet connection.

Go figure.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I do have a washing machine collection!  I understand that two of anything is a pair, and three is a collection.  I have a pair of washers at my house and one at my house in New Jersey!

IMG 0917

The folks we bought the house from had six kids so they had dual washer / dryers.  They left them behind so we have them.  Not that my wife and I need them, but they are here!  Photo of our laundry room.

My theory, FWIW, is that modeling will decline a bit or hold steady about where it is and then in 10 or 20 years a new era of hipsters will discover it and make it their own. "Yeah, it's a scale model of a 2016 Toyota Camry. I painted it in Sandy Beach Metallic. It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it,"

My theory, FWIW, is that modeling will decline a bit or hold steady about where it is and then in 10 or 20 years a new era of hipsters will discover it and make it their own. "Yeah, it's a scale model of a 2016 Toyota Camry. I painted it in Sandy Beach Metallic. It's pretty obscure, you've probably never heard of it,"

You already have people here who like to build something a little less conventional, and the forum is certainly better for it.  

I don't think modeling is going away either.  How people build them will change, just like how hardly anyone builds model cars out of balsa wood anymore, You still have people who like to make models of horse drawn wagons, sailing ships, and steam locomotives, so it's not unreasonable to think that there will be people who want to make models of cars, when the only place you can find one is in a museum.

I don't think modeling is going away either.  How people build them will change, just like how hardly anyone builds model cars out of balsa wood anymore, You still have people who like to make models of horse drawn wagons, sailing ships, and steam locomotives, so it's not unreasonable to think that there will be people who want to make models of cars, when the only place you can find one is in a museum.

People have been building replicas of their transportation since the beginning of time. Some were ornamental, while others were toys for kids. I remember going to museums and seeing such artifacts from Ancient Egypt and Roman Empire.  Last year when we went to Lancaster, PA   there was a young Amish boy who had a table full of Amish wagons he built himself for sale at one of the tourist stops.   All of these could be considered models, although scratch built from materials, instead of a kit. As others said, the craft will never go away.  It may change and with 3D printing becoming easier, better  and more affordable, we could be on the cusp of major change!

People have been building replicas of their transportation since the beginning of time. Some were ornamental, while others were toys for kids. I remember going to museums and seeing such artifacts from Ancient Egypt and Roman Empire.  Last year when we went to Lancaster, PA   there was a young Amish boy who had a table full of Amish wagons he built himself for sale at one of the tourist stops.   All of these could be considered models, although scratch built from materials, instead of a kit. As others said, the craft will never go away.  It may change and with 3D printing becoming easier, better  and more affordable, we could be on the cusp of major change!

While the wagons could be considered models, they are probably just TOYS. And while many of us have hundreds of model kits already in our stash along with thousands of parts, I don't see where 3D printing would be of any advantage except to spend more money. What's wrong with building what we already have?

While the wagons could be considered models, they are probably just TOYS. And while many of us have hundreds of model kits already in our stash along with thousands of parts, I don't see where 3D printing would be of any advantage except to spend more money. What's wrong with building what we already have?

Aha!  You forget the fact that are models are just TOYS.  The manufacturing of model kits started out as toys for kids, we just got old and never gave it up!

I agree that there are enough unbuilt model car kits in circulation to keep us all in models for the next century.  But advances of the past 30 years like resin casting, photo etching and printing decals have enhanced our abilities and enjoyment.  3D printing is the next step.  The fact that there are computer skills involved will cause younger folks to get interested.

I look forward to seeing what 3D printing allows. I sure would like to scan in a part, make the changes I want on it and hit print. Molded in custom hood scoops, wheel flares on race vehicles and more detail on normally generic parts are just some of the possibilities. Kids will get involved, we will have to pay them to program our parts. ;)

Aha!  You forget the fact that are models are just TOYS.  The manufacturing of model kits started out as toys for kids, we just got old and never gave it up!

I agree that there are enough unbuilt model car kits in circulation to keep us all in models for the next century.  But advances of the past 30 years like resin casting, photo etching and printing decals have enhanced our abilities and enjoyment.  3D printing is the next step.  The fact that there are computer skills involved will cause younger folks to get interested.

The "PROMOS" started out as toys, but the models were replicas just like ship and airplane models. I don't "play" with my models after I build them, and I don't know of anybody who does.

If 3D printing is the "next step," what's next after that? Having a robot build our kits for us? That doesn't sound like any fun at all.