Model Cars Magazine Forum

Disaster!!

Deckerz

Has anybody got a dog? Is that dog annoying? Does that dog chew anything in sight?

Well my dog is called Alf and i am not very happy with him, i mated an AMT quad cam 426 Hemi to the transaxle gearbox of a revell Ferrari Enzo, it took ages to get everything straight, filled and detailed to look as if it was meant to be together, luckily i hadn't finished building the engine, it was literally the block with cylinder heads and gearbox.

Just as i finally decide what to use the engine in, the dog decided to get hold of it and now all that remains is the cylinder heads and a lot of chewed plastic. Now i have to find a new 426 doner block and a Enzo engine.

Thanks Alf.....

Been there, done that. My new puppy got hold of some parts on a 66 Chevelle Wagon build I was working on. Luckily, Revell replaced the parts so all is well. She is now two years old and understands where her toy box is and what her toys are. A little patience and training and I'm sure your puppy will be a great dog.  

That really sucks. The dog I have now doesn't really get into stuff...she's very well behaved and couldn't have been easier to train...I just sort of lucked out with her...plus, I've got no kids so I have a lot of extra space, and my hobby room happens to be in an area of the house that she's shut off from unless I'm in there anyway. However, when I was a kid my parents dog used to love to get hold of my Lego tires...she wouldn't mess with any of the bricks, just the tires. 

Has anybody got a dog? Is that dog annoying? Does that dog chew anything in sight?

Well my dog is called Alf and i am not very happy with him, i mated an AMT quad cam 426 Hemi to the transaxle gearbox of a revell Ferrari Enzo, it took ages to get everything straight, filled and detailed to look as if it was meant to be together, luckily i hadn't finished building the engine, it was literally the block with cylinder heads and gearbox.

Just as i finally decide what to use the engine in, the dog decided to get hold of it and now all that remains is the cylinder heads and a lot of chewed plastic. Now i have to find a new 426 doner block and a Enzo engine.

Thanks Alf.....

There's always a Chinese restaurant looking for fresh beef.

Thanks Alf.....

Looks like you need to feed Alf once in awhile.

We were taking care of a friend's cats for the Winter while she was in Florida.  I heard one of the cats batting something around on the bathroom floor upstairs, so I ran up to investigate.  It had gotten my airbrush out of the holder and was batting it all over the place.  Destroyed both the hose and the airbrush needle.  It was an expensive lesson, and I kept all of the doors closed from that point on.  

Hes around 7 months old now and hes just not learning, i swear he still doesn't know his name and we've tried all sorts to stop his bad habits and get him taught but he won't have any of it, hes awful with me and my girlfriend but won't go near our daughter. I guess all we can do is keep on trying but when hes no longer a puppy and hes still doing it we will just have to get rid of him. At least i know now to put all my parts back in boxes even if i only pop out for a minute.

At the risk of igniting a "cruelty" firestorm, I'd respectfully suggest the squirt-gun method to train your dog to simply stay away from your modeling area.

Telling dogs what to do is pointless, as is screaming at them. Hitting really is cruel and unnecessary. You have to catch them in the act for ANY corrective measure to work, and I've had excellent results with a gentle squirt in the face with a water pistol. Several dogs over the years.

It doesn't hurt them...at all...but the sudden surprise is usually enough of an unpleasant experience that they'll stop whatever the unwanted behavior is pretty quickly.

Dogs come with varying degrees of smarts, just like people, and sometimes it's the smartest ones that are the most difficult to train. Sometimes it's the dumb ones.

Either way, if you haven't already, look into the squirt method. A lot of people swear by it and say there are no secondary behavior problems (like becoming "hand shy" if you hit or clap), and that the dogs still love them.

People will prattle on and on and on about "positive reinforcement" being more effective as a training method, but it's idiotic to think you can give your dog a treat for NOT chewing up your models and that he'll make any connection whatsoever.

It probably will work on the dog. I tried the same thing with my cat when he eas a kitten. Nobody told him that he wasn't supposed to like it. He thought it eas part of his cat training program and got used to getting squirted. I hate losing to a cat

My cat who use to steal parts, loved being squirted with a squirt gun. A veterinarian recommend the squirt gun to stop any bad behavior. Instead the cat loved it! Over all he was a very good cat. I never really had any major problems with him. In fact the only time he would jump on the kitchen counter was to watch me fill the squirt gun up with water. He loved it so much, he shaked with excitement watch me fill up the squirt gun. He would chase the after the water coming out of the gun. At times I would pretend to run out of water. He would come up to give a friendly rub against the squirt gun, and I'd shoot him in the face at close range. It maybe mean of me. But, he didn't seem to mind too much. And never tired of the game. 

This cat was unusual in other ways. He was never shy around people. His personality was such, that most people who didn't like cats, liked this one. I swear, I think he thought he could talk. He'd go out on to the three season porch for a while, and then come running back in to tell me what he had seen. I would listen and say things like, "is that right?" or "that's interesting." And then when he was satisfied he would go back out to the porch to watch some more. Coming in with more reports from time to time. He is also the only cat I ever had that figured out how to retrieve. Most cats you throw a ball, they'll chase it, but will never bring it back to you. This cat, not only chased the ball, but he figured out that if he brought the ball back, your more likely to throw it again.

The one part of this story, and I don't know if was cause or effect. This cat who in some ways acted more like a dog than cat? I had named him Rover! After a Volkswagon Station Wagon/Bus ad from the early 60's describing the type of housewife who would own a VW Bus. It said she would be the type to name a cat "Rover". I always thought that was cool. So I did it. I named one of my cats Rover. Not to discount my other cats before or since, but Rover was hand down was my favorite cat. Other than stealing a model part or two from time to time. He was a very good cat.

It probably will work on the dog. I tried the same thing with my cat when he eas a kitten. Nobody told him that he wasn't supposed to like it. He thought it eas part of his cat training program and got used to getting squirted. I hate losing to a cat

And what makes you think you can win? 

I had a cat that would also sit there and take the water! What he would do is simply turn around and let his back get soaking wet. If you were to get him square in the face though, he would take off like a rocket! :D I found out later on from the lady that had him before is that she used to bathe him somewhat regularly. I guess he was used to "being wet" so the water bottle didn't faze him.

He was also the only cat I ever had that would run to the door like a dog if someone was knocking. Most cats take off to run and hide------he would come to the door and reach up to the door knob as if he was going to let them in. 

Funny thing is, he was afraid of sprays. If I sprayed something in the room whether it's Lysol, or PAM if I'm cooking something in the kitchen, he would take off running.

Go figure! :blink:

At the risk of igniting a "cruelty" firestorm, I'd respectfully suggest the squirt-gun method to train your dog to simply stay away from your modeling area.

Telling dogs what to do is pointless, as is screaming at them. Hitting really is cruel and unnecessary. You have to catch them in the act for ANY corrective measure to work, and I've had excellent results with a gentle squirt in the face with a water pistol. Several dogs over the years.

It doesn't hurt them...at all...but the sudden surprise is usually enough of an unpleasant experience that they'll stop whatever the unwanted behavior is pretty quickly.

Dogs come with varying degrees of smarts, just like people, and sometimes it's the smartest ones that are the most difficult to train. Sometimes it's the dumb ones.

Either way, if you haven't already, look into the squirt method. A lot of people swear by it and say there are no secondary behavior problems (like becoming "hand shy" if you hit or clap), and that the dogs still love them.

People will prattle on and on and on about "positive reinforcement" being more effective as a training method, but it's idiotic to think you can give your dog a treat for NOT chewing up your models and that he'll make any connection whatsoever.

This is basically how my parents trained me!

Hes around 7 months old now and hes just not learning, i swear he still doesn't know his name and we've tried all sorts to stop his bad habits and get him taught but he won't have any of it, hes awful with me and my girlfriend but won't go near our daughter. I guess all we can do is keep on trying but when hes no longer a puppy and hes still doing it we will just have to get rid of him. At least i know now to put all my parts back in boxes even if i only pop out for a minute.

Based on the experience of a few friends, it might be worth a try at obedience school. If he's still incorrigible, see if the school can help you adopt him out to a family suited to his behaviors.

I like Bill's idea, too. 

Charlie Larkin