Model Cars Magazine Forum

Exspensive starting up

Boy being out of the hobby for so long is kinda pricey getting started again, I don't mean to be a complainer is there a way to buy materials like paint somewhere and get a good assortment of colors. Thanks guys, by the way been on the forum for about a week and you guys are some talented modelers and all of you are very helpful, and no one seams to mind my dumb questions LOL thanks.

Chris,

Like they say Chris, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

I'm no expert, but it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For most smaller parts, using like semi-gloss black you can use Krylon. Me I've found True Value paint to be equal to Krylon. Their satin black is sweet, and I've used it on bodies.

For Testors, and Tamiya I buy at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon but you can only apply it to one item per trip. So if they aren't close you have to factor in gas.  I buy some at Michaels but the one in my area neglects their paint rack so I'm limited in the colors I can get there. I use the coupon there too.

You will get a lot of ideas on your question, but these are my short and sweets.

Hey, Friend.......

I like to use DupliColor Perfect Match paints, and also the clear. You can get it at a reasonable price at your local auto parts store.

Buying up the detail paints that you will need may get a little expensive, but these paints will last you for many projects...........

When I got back into modeling about 15 years ago, I didn't try to buy a complete collection of paints the first day. I bought one kit, some sanding sticks, glue and clippers. I only bought the paints I needed for that particular model. My paint collection still grows pretty much on a kit-by-kit basis. Nowadays, I have a huge collection of tools and paints, but most were picked up one item at a time over the decade.

Many folks use spray cans from the auto supply or big box stores. The small bottles of paint (like Testors enamel or Model Master acrylic) you use for small detail work will last a long time. Buy good paint brushes and make sure you clean them after each use and they will last a long time. You can make your own sanding sticks using bulk sandpaper from auto supply or big box stores which will save you a lot of money. The first few models you build will be more expensive than the next few, as long as you can use what you already bought.

It really depends on what you're wanting...if you're rattle-canning your models, then there are all kinds of options that don't break the bank. I've had really good luck with Rustoleum, Duplicolor, Krylon and quite a few other brands, and they all vary in price. If you're air-brushing or are in need of a lot of the smaller bottles for detailing, I recommend ordering them all online at the same time. I tend to stick to Model Masters 1/2oz bottles for detail painting, and those usually run $4-5 each in retail stores. But, I can get them online for $2-3 each, and by ordering them all at once, usually with a kit or two, the combined shipping kind of evens things out so I end up still saving quite a bit. but, as Harry already mentioned, I think the best thing is to just buy what you need when you need it...before long, you'll have everything you need and you won't have to take a second mortgage to obtain it.

Ebay and shows sometimes have guys getting out selling tools. I always look, probably 35% of my tools were bought from guys getting out or downsizing. 

My son wanted his own tools, and I found him a nice pile of sandpaper, tools, etc. for $14 shipped, far less than starter packs. 

Also, great sanding sticks available in cosmetics. Nail finishing sticks can have 1, 2, or 4 different grits.  

Lots of paint suggestions, I agree. Shows if any around you also have guys selling off stock. Around here, shops want full list at shows, but other vendors have paints sometimes at big discounts. Get good thinner too, you can revive older paints.

Welcome back.

And just buy what you need WHEN you need it. I have colors I'll probably NEVER use because I set out to get a "good assortment".

This!

When I got back into building in '08 after a near 10 year hiatus I went to the hobby shop and bought handfuls of paint jars in all kinds of colors. I have yet to open most them and now they're all petrified trash. 

Don't buy over priced little sheets or films of sand paper from the hobby shop. Go to a hardware store, buy giant sheets and cut them down. They'll last you for years! I'm just now getting down to the point where I'll have to buy more after 5-6 years.

If you use the Zap brand CA glues don't buy the big ones. Get the smallest size they offer. They go bad after being open for about six months and you won't go through a small one in that amount of time.

The one thing I do splurge on is Tamiya spray paint because it's actually worth $6 a can.  

B)

I use Krylon whenever possible rather the smaller hobby cans. As for clear coat, I buy a large can of Duplicolor clear from an auto parts store, it has 3 or 4 times the amount of paint. Hobby Lobby has aforementioned 40% website coupon and you can use it once, but there is nothing to say you can't put your purchase in the car and go back for another purchase and use the coupon again. Also to that point, Michaels will match Hobby Lobby's coupons, so they will let you use it there. If there is a discount beauty supply near you or a Walmart, they have finger nail sanding sticks that are a lot cheaper than the hobby sanding sticks and work the same. 

Chris another few places to look is at swap meets at car shows. Guys will sell tools they no longer need. 

Not sure if it was mentioned but watch the point of free shipping if you buy online. If you pick up supplies rather than pay for shipping it is worth spending a little more. 

Hey, Friend.......

I like to use DupliColor Perfect Match paints, and also the clear. You can get it at a reasonable price at your local auto parts store.

Buying up the detail paints that you will need may get a little expensive, but these paints will last you for many projects...........

Ditto on that.

Along with buying sandpaper in bulk - I like to collect the foam rubber used as packing material in all sorts of products, and make my own sanding pads.

Cut the foam rubber to whatever size you need. Then cut sandpaper to match. Use rubber cement or wood glue, something strong, and glue the sandpaper to the foam rubber.

Voila - instant sanding pads, cheap and custom-made to your own individual needs.  I like to cut some of the foam rubber into wedge shapes, for getting into tight spaces.  Got some of these I made and have used for a long time.

Like others, I've had good luck with the Krylon large, economy-size spray cans. Their "Satin Black" is great - between a flat and semi-gloss black. If you're doing a black interior, that stuff sprayed on some panels gives a nice color variation, and avoids the dead solid flat-black "monotone cave" look.

I also like the Krylon Maxx Flat and Gloss Clear. It does take some care to use. If applied too heavily, it will act just like Testors Gloss/Dullcote, and "frost" the finish.  But when I take my time and apply very light coats it works well.

Hobby Lobby has aforementioned 40% website coupon and you can use it once, but there is nothing to say you can't put your purchase in the car and go back for another purchase and use the coupon again.

This may not be universal across all their stores\employees, but multiple times I've bought 3-4 things and they've let me split it into 3-4 transactions at the register so I could use the coupon for all items. It was when they were slow though...I wouldn't even ask them to do that if there were a line behind me.

I feel your pain getting back into the hobby.  I've been at is as an adult builder now for over 20 years and when I look around my shop and apply todays prices to all the stuff I have,  it is really scary.  I literally have cases of rattle cans, stacks of models, drawers full of accessories and photoetched, not to mention the decals and tools.  I would be seriously distressed if I had to try and go out and buy it all over again.  It is amazing what you accumulate a little at a time.  Good luck!

Edited by Pete J.

I feel your pain getting back into the hobby.  I've been at is as an adult builder now for over 20 years and when I look around my shop and apply todays prices to all the stuff I have,  it is really scary.  I literally have cases of rattle cans, stacks of models, drawers full of accessories and photoetched, not to mention the decals and tools.  I would be seriously distressed if I had to try and to out and buy it all over again.  It is amazing what you accumulate a little at a time.  Good luck!

I'm in the same boat that you're in as I have lots also. I wish I had the "motivation" to go with it.

And just buy what you need WHEN you need it. I have colors I'll probably NEVER use because I set out to get a "good assortment".

I second this one!   Rather than run out and spend a lot of $$ to "stock up", be it paint & materials, or tools--I tend to buy what I need for the project at the moment, although when I see a tool that I believe I will have a use for it, I will buy it "out of sequence" to my first statement here.  I'd rather do it this way (and recommend that you consider it as well) lest I (and you perhaps) wind up with a ton of stuff that doesn't get used, and have to ask myself "WHY?".

Art

Chris, over a short period of time the paint a can here and there it all adds up so do the bottles. I use Krylon, Rustoleum,Testors and Tamiya spray cans. Hobby Lobby sells the short cut cans and full size cans at good prices. Don't forget Walmart primer and paint for a couple bucks a can and i have used Testors and Krylon clears over them...

Try hitting up discount stores in your area. I don't know if you have ever heard of Ollie's Bargain outlet, but they are hard to beat on just about everything they sell. However, their stock changes constantly so what you'll get is hit or miss. I've found House Of Kolor paint brushes specifically for hobby there. They constantly have massive buyouts of the Dupli-Color paint mentioned above, for around $2 a can Vs. $8 at most Automotive stores. And every now and then, They will have a buyout of model kits themselves. They typically run around $8 when they do have them. 

I managed to RTV rubber for casting for maybe half the price of the hobby shops by getting it at a store that served the local oil industry.  If you need sheets of styrene, check to see if there's a store in your area that specialized in plastic.  CHances are, they will sell you a huge sheet of the stuff for far less than the equivalent amount in pre cut pieces.  Since so many things are made of styrene, you can save even more if you keep your eyes open.  Back when record stores were more of a thing, I'd keep my eye out for ones that were closing their doors.  The dividers between the records were big sheets of styrene plastic, and often I could get them for nothing, or next to nothing.

Personally, I think that thinking outside of the box, when it comes to modeling supplies is part of the fun of the hobby.  For instance, there are any number of places that will charge you $4 to $5 for a package of "sparkplug" wire.  There is about two or three feet of it in a nice neat package.  If you go to a electrical specialty store or on line, you can get a spool with 100 feet(a lifetime supply for you and all your modeling buddies) for less than $10.  Model paints are stupid expensive per ounce of paint.  You can get a quart of common colors such as blues, whites and blacks from a paint jobber(commercial) for the price of 4 or 5 tiny hobby bottles.  Same thing with rattle cans.  Get the stuff without the rattle can and you can afford the airbrush to spray it with.  Sand paper is cheaper if you go direct to the manufacture than neatly packaged in "polishing kits".  In other words, you have to be open to maybe buying a little more than you need and storing it.  I guess that is why my model space looks like a junk yard.!:lol:

Edited by Pete J.

You can also try "dollar "discount stores.There's one near me that has over stocked Duplicolor, Plasticote & Krylon paints @ $1.99 for a large can. They have primers, semi gloss & gloss colors. Gloss colors are limited, but for the price, why not. So far, I haven't had any issues with how they perform. These are independent stores, I've never seen any in dollar general or that ilk. Look around, maybe you'l get lucky.