Model Cars Magazine Forum

First in-depth look - Revell's new '30 Model A Chopped Five Window Coupe kit...

tim boyd

Tim, make sure you use the right set of parts when using the Nailhead and the 30 body/interiors. I speak from experience, and had to do a lot of grinding on the top of the tranny on an otherwise box stock build. I'm pretty sure I used the wrong floorpan. Great kit, this issue was all my fault.

Craig....when I built the first round tooling/development prototypes for Revell 2 /12 years, I built the Coupe channeled version with the Nailhead and everything fit fine.

I am going to do another one with the Nailhead in the Highboy version momentarily; I'll make careful notes and check the fit, and report back if I find any issues.  In the meantime, really appreciate the heads-up.   TIM

PS - really looking foreward to seeing those resin parts you mentioned just above!   TB   

Edited by tim boyd

Just looking at my copy of this kit. Revell DOES hear our feedback. The slots missing from the Front Steel Wheels in the Roadster have been added to the tool. My Coupe wheels have the correct slots.

Good Show, Revell!

I cannot wait for January 2017 when we might start to hear some rumors about Revell's future plans for this tooling. I'd be up for a 289 powered Phaeton/Touring. 

My plans with this kit are to build the green channeled version shown on the box art. I like that WWII fighter plane look. The problem I have is with the paint. The Olive Green is not hard to find in a spray can. But, what about the Chromate Green in a spray can? I haven't really looked too hard yet for it. With all the military kit builders out there, some manufacture must offer it in a spray can? Tamiya, the makers my favorite type of paint, do not.

I'm also debating on what color to paint the engine in this kit. I don't think Engine Orange, like they suggest would be quite right in a military application. At the same time I don't know what color the basic block of something like a P-40 engine would be? I'm sure there is somebody here, even though it's not a military modeling site, that knows what color to go with here.

... At the same time I don't know what color the basic block of something like a P-40 engine would be? I'm sure there is somebody here, even though it's not a military modeling site, that knows what color to go with here.

This bluish-greenish-grayish was pretty common on the Allison 1710 that was used in the P-40. 

6833569753_71ddd8975d_b.jpg

If Chromate Green is not available in spray cans, what might by the closest thing? I don't need it to be exact. Just something that looks close.

Last time I was at Hobby Town, Tamiya seemed to have rather a lot of military greens, and I'd think one of those would come pretty close to what you're after.

The green box-art car is very close to SEM self-etching green primer, by the way. NOTE: The self-etching primers are HOT. BEWARE.

WW II aircraft used rather a wide range of "zinc chromate" primer colors, from bright yellow-green to a blue-black green. The particular color had to do with the plant the plane was made at, the dates of manufacture, and blending of remnants of various stuff to use it up in planes that probably wouldn't last very long anyway. This has been discussed at some length on military aircraft modeling forums, and by restorers of real WW II combat aircraft. You can almost pick a color you think you like in the yellow-green-dark green-blue-green range and call it "chromate".

There are several off-the-shelf primer rattlecan colors that look pretty good to me for the yellow-green commonly found INSIDE WW II aircraft structures, a fairly easily obtainable one being Duplicolor Self-Etching green, DAP 1690 (though there are some later versions of this product that are considerably less yellow).

61ZIHLsQ6PL._SY679_.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Most Packard Merlin (P-51) engines I've seen were glossy or semigloss black. The gear cases of radial engines were commonly a semigloss dark gray. If you're going for a "military look" for your engine, either of those colors would be appropriate.

What do you want the "chromate green" for, the interior? You probably don't need a spray can for that, a brush paint will do fine. Avoid Testor/Model Master "Chromate Green." It is MUCH too vivid/bright, sort of somewhere between Mopar Sublime and Sassy Grass Green. Their Interior Green 34151 is much better, and brushes well. I often just brush it on airplane cockpits. In the little bottles, Testor has a Chromate Yellow that's nice for some applications--it's kind of a sickly mustard color that's not really good for anything else. For some reason this stuff does NOT brush well. (About all I use it for are P-47 Thunderbolt gear wells and gear door inners, and P-51 Mustang spars.) Chromate yellow was almost never seen in the cockpit interiors of US WWII airplanes--those were almost always some kind of green, with black instrument panel and "boxes."

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who say you've never seen a 1.1 scale '30A hot rod Coupe with a roof cutout like the new Revell kit, you can't say that anymore.  See the current issue of Car Kulture Deluxe (on sale now at newstands, until 11/8/16).  The large photo at the bottom of page 12 (coverage of the 57th Indy World of Wheels) appears to be a dead ringer for the Revell kit approach.    TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Now for those who say that the Revell kit is still wrong, revising it to reflect the original 1/1 scale Ford sheetmetal is not a major project for a modestly skilled modeler.  Here's one underway with the conversion to stock....TIMDSC 0896

Nice work on the lid, Tim!

Gotta admit, I'm really surprised we haven't seen a string of these posted up by you yet. You were cranking them out left and right when the roadster kit hit the shelves. 

<_<

I have one of the new kits...glad I got it when I did, I hear that distributors are out of stock on it and it may be a long wait until they have more...

besides subject matter, the kit design makes it fun, lotsa parts, ways to built it to your taste, unlike some one way kits which do nothing with the creative mind (unless you start to kit bash) a setting a modeler has by default.

;)

Nice work on the lid, Tim!

Gotta admit, I'm really surprised we haven't seen a string of these posted up by you yet. You were cranking them out left and right when the roadster kit hit the shelves. 

<_<

Thanks Dennis....yeah, this is the fifth coupe (including the two first round test shots) I've built....this one will hopefully be done in time for the NNL Nats......  TIM

Just read on another web site that the tooling for this kit has been damaged in China, Revell is repairing but a few months until we see anymore of these.  Can anyone confirm this ? Is it a known fact I missed or internet trolling to stir the soup so to speak?

Edited by Dave

Just read on another web site that the tooling for this kit has been damaged in China, Revell is repairing but a few months until we see anymore of these.  Can anyone confirm this ? Is it a known fact I missed or internet trolling to stir the soup so to speak?

Well considering the other rumor swirling around is the tooling was STOLEN (bum bum buuuuuuuum), I doubt either is true. 

Maybe it's the ability of a rumor to be passed along gathering momentum and credibility along the way in the format of the Interwebs, but the last couple of kits that sold out have caused a fracas of rumors and outright lies, probably by people looking to create a secondary resale value of "RARE VHTF!!!" The last time was the '70 Cuda which sold out and immediately the tooling was stolen, seized by the Chinese, etc. But then the drag racing version came out...magically evidently considering the shared parts. Oh wait there's a restock of the '70 Cuda factory stock kit they just ran and shipped them together. Guess it wasn't destroyed in a fire or a typhoon afterall.

Edited by niteowl7710

Well considering the other rumor swirling around is the tooling was STOLEN (bum bum buuuuuuuum), I doubt either is true. 

Maybe it's the ability of a rumor to be passed along gathering momentum and credibility along the way in the format of the Interwebs, but the last couple of kits that sold out have caused a fracas of rumors and outright lies, probably by people looking to create a secondary resale value of "RARE VHTF!!!" The last time was the '70 Cuda which sold out and immediately the tooling was stolen, seized by the Chinese, etc. But then the drag racing version came out...magically evidently considering the shared parts. Oh wait there's a restock of the '70 Cuda factory stock kit they just ran and shipped them together. Guess it wasn't destroyed in a fire or a typhoon afterall.

Is it a rumor, cuz the info was passed along by a respectable mail order biz, via their newsletter, which also mentioned that Revell was fixing it.

But if anyone here has a direct line with the powers at Revell, please do contact them......to confirm, deny, or for a "no comment".

;)

• 4 weeks later...