Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

There is apparently missing tire tooling with the 62 Mopars.  

Of all the excuses I have ever heard in my life, this is the most stupid one.
Are those Revell tards opening their mouth, when they feed a baby?

Is everyone sure we are dealing with professionals?

Edited by Junkman

Probably the folks at Revell don't expect a reissued '62 Chrysler to be a big enough seller to warrant much of an investment in new tooling. The wheels on those kits are a bit smaller than usual; I had to wrap strips of sheet plastic around the rims of my '62 Imperial to get standard AMT tires to fit them. Maybe they could modify the wheel tooling to fit some tires they already have?

As long as we're playing long shots, here's reaching for the moon:

The IMC Chaparral 2E and Lola T-70

The IMC Lotus 38 Ford Indy car

The long lost (or never was) AMT 1911 Chevrolet Touring car. Maybe Round 2 could find the old tool and use it to craft a new steel tool. Would that then be a reissue or a new tool?

I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for any of these to pop up.

41-49 Pontiac,Buick or Cadillac Sedanette would be lovely. Wishful thinking of coarse.

50-56 Cadillac,Oldsmobile or Buick hardtops as well.

Edit: Predictions,oh well it`s not going to happen lol

Edited by om617

There is apparently missing tire tooling with the 62 Mopars.

Of all the excuses I have ever heard in my life, this is the most stupid one.Are those Revell tards opening their mouth, when they feed a baby?

Is everyone sure we are dealing with professionals?

Be nice. You obviously don't know the Revell team.  Many of us do.  They are the ultimate professionals, navigating a difficult market where there is no money for development, and no room for any mistakes.  They also have limited human resources and must allocate both their people and money to the programs likely to produce the most return.  Those 1962 Revell kits are antiqued and are not too accurate.  The windshield openings alone are much to small and require a good carving at the top to even look reasonable.  Overall, the kits will appeal to the nostalgia crowd,  but the subject matter is not universal and general hobby shop customers (who account for 95% of the buyers) would complain about the accuracy and parts counts.  I'd much rather see Revell move forward on the 1932 & 1957 Ford programs!

I had heard early on that the tire molds were missing. Last I heard the tooling didn't exist any more. 

With any historic kit,  the parts most likely to be missing are the tires, chrome shot and clear shot, since those are done separate from the main tool and get separated.    The tires and the accompanying wheels were very poorly designed and inaccurate.  That would involve creating new tires, or adapting tires Revell already uses to the kit.  The wheels and wheel backs, spacers and any other parts like wheel covers and maybe even the way the wheels connect to the suspension and  the ride height would all need to be redone.  

Be nice. You obviously don't know the Revell team.  Many of us do.  They are the ultimate professionals, navigating a difficult market where there is no money for development, and no room for any mistakes.  They also have limited human resources and must allocate both their people and money to the programs likely to produce the most return.  Those 1962 Revell kits are antiqued and are not too accurate.  The windshield openings alone are much to small and require a good carving at the top to even look reasonable.  Overall, the kits will appeal to the nostalgia crowd,  but the subject matter is not universal and general hobby shop customers (who account for 95% of the buyers) would complain about the accuracy and parts counts.  I'd much rather see Revell move forward on the 1932 & 1957 Ford programs!

I had heard early on that the tire molds were missing. Last I heard the tooling didn't exist any more. 

With any historic kit,  the parts most likely to be missing are the tires, chrome shot and clear shot, since those are done separate from the main tool and get separated.    The tires and the accompanying wheels were very poorly designed and inaccurate.  That would involve creating new tires, or adapting tires Revell already uses to the kit.  The wheels and wheel backs, spacers and any other parts like wheel covers and maybe even the way the wheels connect to the suspension and  the ride height would all need to be redone.  

As if having no money for development and limited human resources wouldn't already sound like the opposite from ultimate professioanlism where I'm from,
storing the chrome shot and clear shot separate from the main tool and then not finding them back sure does. It sounds more like a Punch and Judy theatre.
Anyway, obviously my predictions for 2017 are wrong then.

I still hope for some totally left field TV/Movie tie in from Revell, like they did with the S&H Torino, which appears to be doing reasonably well.

As if having no money for development and limited human resources wouldn't already sound like the opposite from ultimate professioanlism where I'm from,
storing the chrome shot and clear shot separate from the main tool and then not finding them back sure does. It sounds more like a Punch and Judy theatre.Anyway, obviously my predictions for 2017 are wrong then.

Chris, if you understand history you would know that the company and the tooling has gone through many hands and moves over the last 50 years.  It's not like the guys who are  currently running things have been involved all along, they were kids like we were when these kits were originally issued.

If you get down to it, just think how amazing it is that tooling for model car kits has survived all these years.  All of the companies have gone through many hands of ownership, many moves of tooling and it's just crazy that what does exist intact actually does! In today's world of  business efficiencies, bar coding all assets,  and making sure they are all carrying their weight, they wouldn't be afforded the storage space to sit.  Everything would've been scrapped many years ago!

Chris, if you understand history you would know that the company and the tooling has gone through many hands and moves over the last 50 years.  It's not like the guys who are  currently running things have been involved all along, they were kids like we were when these kits were originally issued.

If you get down to it, just think how amazing it is that tooling for model car kits has survived all these years.  All of the companies have gone through many hands of ownership, many moves of tooling and it's just crazy that what does exist intact actually does! In today's world of  business efficiencies, bar coding all assets,  and making sure they are all carrying their weight, they wouldn't be afforded the storage space to sit.  Everything would've been scrapped many years ago!

Same for info, remember ILM  when at GM, Information lifecicle management IIRC

Yeah, old stuff is discarded and new one developed, except in the model kit industry, where no new stuff can be developed.
The sad result is that an ever increasing proportion of my money goes to the 1/18 die casters, who meanwhile did release pretty everything I ever wanted.
The remainder is predominantly going to Japan and Heller lately. Imagine my surprise when Heller went belly up a few months ago.
One would imagine they can make a decent living from what I pay them...

Predictions for 2017?

Hasegawa is always good for a surprise. VW Typ 3 or Typ 2 T2 anyone? VW 181? Also reissues the Jaguar XJS.
Tamiya reissues the Jaguar MKII and Morgan Plus 4 and launches a Jaguar D-Type.
Fujimi releases another Bond car.
ICM releases the Mercedes 770K and the Packard V12 in 1/24. Also a Ford T Sedan.
Revell AG launches a Scirocco MK1, an NSU TTS and a 1/16 Typ 2 T1 panel van.
Italeri reissues the ex-ESCI Ford Transit (I think this is even confirmed) and the Renault 5 (Le Car to you guys over there) and launches a Scania 164TL in Schubert livery.
Belkits launches a Saab 96 and a Metro 6R4.
Round2 reissues the '59 Imperial, some Lincoln, the '65 Bonneville, the '64 Comet and the Rayson Craft boat.

Comments like the above, and similar ones you made in other threads here, make you sound like a pompous you know what Christain. What profession are you in? And you never make mistakes in that endeavor? Or had limited resources to work with? I wish I and people/schools/companies I work with could be as perfect and professional as you and the ones you seem to work with are. I work with imperfect humans whom in general seem to be doing their best. They and I are not perfect. But, we seem to be doing a pretty good job. I hear few complaints.

I could be wrong, but I think that one's coming back in a sort of "soap box derby" kit or something.

Yes...retro style packaging similar to the '69 El Camino 'soap box derby' kit.  There is some info about iit here http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/115088-round2-july-2016-announcements/#comment-1661810

Edited by Rob Hall

This is a response to the question about the Heller 1/24 Tractor. Sorry, my "Quote" function is malfunctioning.

The Heller Ferguson 1/24 Tractor is still showing up on the MegaHobby 2016 Pre-Order List:

https://www.megahobby.com/categories/2016-pre-orders.html

...and on the Heller website they show it coming as a 4th quarter 2015 release...(they need to update that a bit).

I would like to see as full detail kits:

early 50`s Cadillac`s

Dodge Aspen 4 door sedan 78`-80` :P

Saab 99 Turbo, or just 81` Plain GL, so i could build first car i was driven when i got licence.. :D

Since they are doing movie themed cars too as release... How about full detail Deathproof Nova? 

Wait, there is more... but about any good NEW-tooling kit will make us happy as those re-releases from long lost kits... Revell, Round 2, Moebius, Tamiya etc... Thank you B)

My wishes are:

38 Ford COUPE/ tudor.

35 Ford COUPE/ tudor/convertible. 

Updated "stock" parts for Revells 32 Ford. / B400 Body.

49-53 Buick

Modern updated Pro Mod/Pro stock drag car, example Stratus or GXP.

65 Plymouth Valiant

65 Dodge Dart

54 Mercury

72 Ford Pinto Wagon

Thanks 

Fred.

As a European I would love to see more '50s and '60s Cadillac's...as American as apple pie, maybe more popular outside the US borders....a '69 DeVille convert would've been nice, but since the DOH license expired that one lost a bit of it's sales appeal I'm afraid.

Edited by Luc Janssens

All really good suggestions I vote

any mid 30s Chevy PPPlllleeeeaaaassseeee

a rerelease of the Orange blossom special

a bullet nosed Studebaker

a rerelease of the 57 Chevy street machine (great Parts)

and perhaps a brain replacement

Edited by Bert

Yeah, old stuff is discarded and new one developed, except in the model kit industry, where no new stuff can be developed.
The sad result is that an ever increasing proportion of my money goes to the 1/18 die casters, who meanwhile did release pretty everything I ever wanted.
The remainder is predominantly going to Japan and Heller lately. Imagine my surprise when Heller went belly up a few months ago.
One would imagine they can make a decent living from what I pay them...

Predictions for 2017?

Hasegawa is always good for a surprise. VW Typ 3 or Typ 2 T2 anyone? VW 181? Also reissues the Jaguar XJS.
Tamiya reissues the Jaguar MKII and Morgan Plus 4 and launches a Jaguar D-Type.
Fujimi releases another Bond car.
ICM releases the Mercedes 770K and the Packard V12 in 1/24. Also a Ford T Sedan.
Revell AG launches a Scirocco MK1, an NSU TTS and a 1/16 Typ 2 T1 panel van.
Italeri reissues the ex-ESCI Ford Transit (I think this is even confirmed) and the Renault 5 (Le Car to you guys over there) and launches a Scania 164TL in Schubert livery.
Belkits launches a Saab 96 and a Metro 6R4.
Round2 reissues the '59 Imperial, some Lincoln, the '65 Bonneville, the '64 Comet and the Rayson Craft boat.

The Rayson Craft Ski-Drag Boat will NEVER be re-issued as they chopped that kit up to make other boats. I did hear a rumor that we may be getting another '65 Dodge Coronet from Moebius in the future, possibly and AWB car. I'll be working on my '56 AWB Coronet when I get out of my building slump which is lookin' like the end of October.