Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

Revell issuing `a `70 Cuda AAR,  `70 El Camino,  and a 1/25 `70 Chevelle L-S6 to replace the ancient  1/24 Chevelle kit.

They already have a 1/25 '70 Chevelle LS6. It's a curbside/snapper, but if you want it full-detail, you can kitbash it with other commonly available stuff. B)

you mean a Pinto Runabout?  Sportabout was the Hornet wagon IIRC.   My sister's first car was a '76 Pinto, had 'Runabout' badges IIRC.  

Could be thinking of the 1972 "Spirit" trim package, white wide blue stripes and a narrow red one on each side of the blue ones, white interior w/blue inserts and red piping. Actually had one of these that ended up with a 302 in it.

Edited by horsepower

The 1/24 Airfix kits of the Toyota 2000 GT coupe and its JB007 roadster derivative, the JB007 Aston Martin DB5 and the Aston Martin DB6
weren't good kits to begin with. If it's a 2000 GT coupe you are after, buy the Hasegawa one. If you want a DB5, get yourself the Doyusha.
Having said that, it would be nice to see the Airfix ones reissued no matter who owns the tools currently, just for nostalgia.

There also was a tool lease going on between Airfix and MPC for a lot of the Airfix 1/32 scale cars. The MPC issues came with chromed parts,
something the Airfix ones never did. Some of these have been reissued by Airfix over the years, which indicates that the tools were returned
to England, but the most interesting ones never will, because they were butchered up into atrocious customs ca. 1970.

I don't want to wrestle with that fidgety AMT 1969 Chevelle.  We need a new- tool 1968-1972 Chevelle,  Bottom line.

Yeah, but if we get it from Revell, I'm afraid they'll just stuff it up as badly as they did the '69 Nova, the '70 Cuda, and the '67 Camaro. (These aren't horrible kits, but all three have shapes bad enough that I can't build them without tedious body modification.)

Could be thinking of the 1972 "Spirit" trim package, white w/blue wide stripes and a few narrow red one on each side of the blue ones, white interior w/blue inserts and red piping. Actually had one of these that ended up with a 302 in it.

Runabout was the name given to the hatchback Pinto.

There is apparently missing tire tooling with the 62 Mopars.  

That's the story....tire tooling is very expensive I've always heard, also in this case because they can't, be used for other Revell products.

But they can get around that by retooling simple wheels, which fit existing tires, so guess, there might be more that is keeping these from returning.

Maybe Mr. Boyd can ask the powers at Revell....

There is only one thing I can predict for 2017. And that is, I'll buy more kits than I'll ever be able to get around to building. Which is cool with me.

With that said, I'd like to see the following in 2017:

1. The Renwal Revival series mentioned above. I don't know if the dies still exist. Or if they would really sell that well or not. But, I'd love to own the whole set.

2. AMT's '34 Ford pickup truck. Since Round 2 picked up Lindberg a couple of years ago, I'm surprised this hasn't been been done yet.

3. Like Snake and a few others talked about early on in this thread, I love to see an early second generation Camaro without the RS front end. And as an SS rather than another Z-28. I do like the RS front end on the second gen Camaro better than the non RS. But, not by much. So a non RS Camaro would be welcome.

4. That basic non RS front end look also came on the early Vegas. Another car I'd loved to see come back. I'm afraid that with the updating done to the original tooling we would have to settle for the Monza version of the Vega hatchback body. I'm not a big fan of many of the smaller cars built with the bigger bumpers after 1972. Pre-73 Vegas, Pintos, Mavericks, and Comets would all be welcome. Pre-'73 Gremlins and Hornets (especially a '71 SC360) would be welcome too.

5. I would like to see Revell do a RS/SS convertible based on their new '67 Camaro tooling.

6. Revell should do a couple of Rancheros. One off their new '57 Ford tooling. And another based off of their '70 Torino GT kit. Even a '75/'76 based off of their Starsky and Hutch Torino would be okay.

And number 7. Like many others, I'm still waiting for a Dodge Demon. I still don't understand why Round 2 did not follow through with this?

Can I predict if any of the above will come true? No. But I hope so.

Edited by unclescott58

Revell could reissue the 1962 Mopars...

There is apparently missing tire tooling with the 62 Mopars.  

That's the story....tire tooling is very expensive I've always heard, also in this case because they can't, be used for other Revell products.

But they can get around that by retooling simple wheels, which fit existing tires, so guess, there might be more that is keeping these from returning.

Maybe Mr. Boyd can ask the powers at Revell....

I had the same thought, seems like it would be easy enough to tool up different wheels and wheel backs to fit some of the current tires that Revell already produces.

No telling how much of the tooling they might still have for which of the '62 Mopars, and what condition it is in.  I thought someone (Art Anderson maybe?) stated that they lent a windshield unit from their '62 Chrysler kit to Revell to allow them to get dimensions, presumably to possibly reverse engineer new tooling.  This would imply that they at least have the '62 Chrysler tooling, minus the windshield glass tooling.

We do know that the body for the '62 Dodge Dart got hacked and turned into the Revellion funny car, but even that hasn't been reissued since the '70s, I believe?  Even with the modifications, most of the details on the body remained intact, including the 4-door hardtop doorlines and front fender scripts:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/88319-two-of-the-craziest-funny-cars-ever-kitted-by-revell/

Runabout was the name given to the hatchback Pinto.

I think you came in in the middle of the discussion and possibly misunderstood what I was saying, a previous poster said that someone associated with him had a "Sportabout".and it was suggested he was probably thinking "Runabout", but since their had been several previous mentions of the sedan, and Runabout body styles I suggested that maybe he was thinking of the "Spirit" trim package that was offered on 1972 Pinto Runabout' along with Mustang's and I believe Ranchero's but I could be wrong about them, but I do know that it was offered on the Pinto's and Mustang's.

But he has since corrected his "Freudian slip" he actually meant Runabout, having owned about eight or ten Pinto's from the early small window Runabout, a very good early sedan, and a few Runabout's both small and large bumpers, one that had a 302 V-8, and another with a 400 horsepower V-6 that ran and handled circles around the V-8 one. Plus a couple of wagons in both bumper sizes, I'm quite aware of the Pinto styles and options. But thanks for attempting to help out.

Edited by horsepower

I think you came in in the middle of the discussion and possibly misunderstood what I was saying, a previous poster said that someone associated with him had a "Sportabout".and it was suggested he was probably thinking "Runabout", but since their had been several previous mentions of the sedan, and Runabout body styles I suggested that maybe he was thinking of the "Spirit" trim package that was offered on 1972 Pinto Runabout' along with Mustang's and I believe Ranchero's but I could be wrong about them, but I do know that it was offered on the Pinto's and Mustang's.

But he has since corrected his "Freudian slip" he actually meant Runabout, having owned about eight or ten Pinto's from the early small window Runabout, a very good early sedan, and a few Runabout's both small and large bumpers, one that had a 302 V-8, and another with a 400 horsepower V-6 that ran and handled circles around the V-8 one. Plus a couple of wagons in both bumper sizes, I'm quite aware of the Pinto styles and options. But thanks for attempting to help out.

Gee.  Thanks.  I thought of a lot of ways to respond to this.  But I won't.

Gee.  Thanks.  I thought of a lot of ways to respond to this.  But I won't.

You're welcome, and thank you. I wasn't trying to be a smart a** just thought you didn't know "the rest of the story" and let you know I did know what the hatchbacks were called, just thought he might have confused Runabout with Spirit, or one of the other packages that were offered on the Runabout body style.