Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

A '65-66 Ford would be nice (could reuse the '69-72 chassis, as '65 was when that chassis came out), or a '58-60.   Or a '67-72 Chevy/GMC, or a '61-71 Dodge... 

I would be in for some new GM trucks of the 67-72 vintage, the old AMT's leave a bit to be desired when it comes to the cabs and chassis in those kits. Imagine if we got a decent Suburban along with 2 and 4wd options?

With the Modelhaus shutting down, we can only hope another resin caster decides to offer a '60's Dodge pickup or a model company tools up some kits.

A '65-66 Ford would be nice (could reuse the '69-72 chassis, as '65 was when that chassis came out), or a '58-60.   Or a '67-72 Chevy/GMC, or a '61-71 Dodge... 

We know the 72 Chevy molds exsit but does the tooling for the 72 GMC and 67 Chevy still exsit?

I know of at least one company that's looking at doing an exclusive run of a couple of these if Revell doesn't do it themselves.  

Bringing back the Monogram classics?  I could definitely get behind that!

I know the Monogram Duesenberg didn't do that well the last time it was released, but that was back in the 90s.

If you were going to limit it to just a couple, The Lincoln Continental seems to be a popular source material in traditional rodding circles, and if Round2 thinks it's worth releasing LIndberg's ancient Cord kit, then you would think Monogram's would be a winner.

Going into wish list territory for a moment, it would be nice if Round2 dug out some of its classic car kits.  I'm sure the 1932 Chevrolet cabriolet would be welcome by the hot rod builders wanting to build a different kind of "Deuce"

Bringing back the Monogram classics?  I could definitely get behind that!

I know the Monogram Duesenberg didn't do that well the last time it was released, but that was back in the 90s.

If you were going to limit it to just a couple, The Lincoln Continental seems to be a popular source material in traditional rodding circles, and if Round2 thinks it's worth releasing LIndberg's ancient Cord kit, then you would think Monogram's would be a winner.

Going into wish list territory for a moment, it would be nice if Round2 dug out some of its classic car kits.  I'm sure the 1932 Chevrolet cabriolet would be welcome by the hot rod builders wanting to build a different kind of "Deuce"

I wouldn't object to a fresh run of Lincolns and Imperials, either.

Charlie Larkin

I would like to see 

AMT announce a Pinto Coupe or Hatchback mid 70's

____________________________________________________________________________________   I'm hoping for the AMT early sedan, and the MPC '74 sedan

What i think we may happen in 2017

AMT reissue the 72 Chevrolet c10 Long Bed

____________________________________________________________________________________Maybe they'll put the '72 Chevy grille in the MPC '72 GMC stepside kit, or find the misplaced Chevy pickup kit.

Revell reissue the 69 Dodge Charger

____________________________________________________________________________________  Or if we're lucky they'll tool up an accurate '70 non  R/T version.

Revell reissue Chevy S10 Pickup  

____________________________________________________________________________________  Again, maybe they'll come out with a 2 in 1 kit that we can make a standard S-10 from and that has all the parts for the Syclone too.

Revell 57 Ranchero 

I think that's a gimme in everyone's book.

56 F-100 new tool

The Foose '56 Ford pickup IS a totally new tool. It just can't be built stock. You have to be careful about what you ask for, as an old minister once told me you have to be careful and exact about what you pray for, this was just after a member of the congregation told a story about praying for more work for their transmission shop because it was slow, it worked, the next week they had three return jobs due to faulty parts.

These BRONCO Fiats are in the wrong scale (1/35) but sure are neat!  They are very complex little kits, with full engine and suspension detail. The Perth Military Modeling site says this is the "A" version, produced from 1937 to 1948 with only minor changes. The very similar Models B and C were produced from 1948 up to 1955. Some on-line vendors are currently blowing out these kits at less than half their original price.

Along with an Afrika Korps version, BRONCO has done several stock civilian versions like the one in the pic. They also did the delivery van version, with a load of milk cans.  And a 1/35 scale nun!

cb35167.jpg

I wouldn't object to a fresh run of Lincolns and Imperials, either.

Charlie Larkin

No objections here either.

It used to be that they were practically giving away classic car kits on eBay,  though this no longer seems to be the case.  Maybe the demand is finally there?

It would also be nice if Round2 could see their way clear to bringing back some of Lindberg's Vintage Brass series.

The Foose '56 Ford pickup IS a totally new tool. It just can't be built stock. You have to be careful about what you ask for, as an old minister once told me you have to be careful and exact about what you pray for, this was just after a member of the congregation told a story about praying for more work for their transmission shop because it was slow, it worked, the next week they had three return jobs due to faulty parts.

More proof, along with the platypus, that God does have a rather strange sense of humor.

I wonder if the undercarriage, etc., or at least portions of it, could be the basis for a new stock '56 F-100?

Charlie Larkin

It used to be that they were practically giving away classic car kits on eBay,  though this no longer seems to be the case.  Maybe the demand is finally there?

Hmm. You made me wonder about that. Here's the results of a quick, unscientific survey of eBay "Completed Items" for MONOGRAM 1/24 Classic kits recently. Note that these are unbuilt/unstarted kits that actually sold, and their prices:

41 Lincoln: $7.49 - $19.99.

30 Packards, Boattail/Phaeton Speedster: $9.99 - $29.99

Cord: $10.75 - $49.00. That $49.00 was a Buy It Now, not an auction, for the white-box "Museum Pieces" reissue from the 1970s..

32 Cadillac V-16: this seemed to be the most plentiful Monogram Classic.  They went for prices ranging from $8.00 to $29.98.

Duesenbergs, Phaeton/Roadster/Town Car: $9.95 - $43.00. The Town Car seems to be the rarest, and brought that $43 price. But another Town Car sold for just $9.95.

Personal Buying:

In Dec. 2015, I scored the Cadillac V-16 and Packard Phaeton Speedster in a lot for $21.99. In Feb. 2016, got the Duesenberg Town Car and Packard Boattail in a lot for $30.00. Also in Feb., I won a lot of 3 Classics, built but unpainted - the Packard Boattail, Mercedes 540 and Duesenberg roadster. Price was $21.99. I wanted those Packard and Duesie engines for possible street rods. And the Mercedes to do something with a Rommel's Rod, maybe,

Edited by Mike999
Error

And don't forget, the bid price isn't the total price.  They always seem to want another $20-30 on top of that to ship it.    I managed to snag some mint early issue Jo-Han Cadillac V-16s for single digit prices, and maybe $10 to ship it, so they were cheaper than buying kits at the LHS.    I'd love to see the classics reissued, but I can see where this could be an issue.

I wonder if the undercarriage, etc., or at least portions of it, could be the basis for a new stock '56 F-100?

If you watch the Overhaulin' shows concerning the actual truck, you'll see it had been converted to independent front suspension at some time in the past using junkyard parts. After the wheelbase was stretched to accommodate the reworked front fenders and new aftermarket IFS swapped in, it's unlikely there's any rational way to get stock guts from the new kit...assuming the new kit uses newly-tooled guts that match the 1:1.

Though the original Revell '56 pickup has a had a bad rap over the years, it's really not a bad kit if you give it a little care, don't rush, and think about what you're doing.

This one was built by Dan Tier's wife, and was only her second model...ever. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107394-56-ford-pickup-custom-my-wifes-2nd-build/

56 Ford Revell-3.jpg

More proof, along with the platypus, that God does have a rather strange sense of humor.

Charlie Larkin

Depending on how close they match to the real truck, not much.

CHASSIS

Frame / Manufacturer: Stock Ford / Modified  Wheelbase: 116"

Rearend / Ratio: Ford 9" by DiffWorks / 3.73:1

Rear Suspension: Ford 4 Link

Rear Brakes: Baer Extreme Plus, 6 Piston Caliper w/ 14" Cross Drilled Rotors

Rear Shocks: Coilover

Front Suspension: Corvette C5 Subframe

Front Brakes: Baer Extreme Plus, 6 Piston Caliper, 14" Cross Drilled Rotors

Front Shocks: Corvette Coilover

Master Cylinder: Corvette C6

Steering: Custom, Corvette Rack and Pinion

Front Wheel Make, Size: Foose Custom, 19" x 10"

Rear Wheel Make, Size: Foose Custom, 20" x 10"

Front Tire Make, Size: BF Goodrich G-Force T/A, 255/40/ZR19

Rear Tire Make, Size: BF Goodrich G-Force T/A, 285/30/ZR20

Gas Tank: Custom Aluminum

ENGINE

Make: Roush Aluminum Sideoiler

Displacement: 451 ci

TRANSMISSION

Make: Ford C6 Custom by Bowler

Shifter: Stock Ford

BODY

Body Style / Material: 1956 Ford F-100, Modified / Steel

Body Manufacturer: Ford

Body Mods: 2" cut on cowl, roof tilted forward, pie-cut hood, front fenders moved forward, running boards raised, rear fenders widened

Hood: Pie-cut modification

Grille: Stock

Bodywork: Sam Foose, Charlie Hutton, Dennis Graff, Dave Wiley, Andrew Peterson

Paint type / Color: BASF Single Stage / Black

Painter: Charlie Hutton

Headlights / Taillights: Stock Bezel with Halogen Bulb / Custom LED

Bumpers: Stock, smoothed and modified

Other Body Items: One-off custom stamped tailgate, front axles moved forward, bed posts resculpted

INTERIOR

Dashboard: Stock, customized, ashtray & radio holes filled

Insert / Gauges: Stock, customized by Redline

Air Conditioning: Vintage Air

Wiring: Painless Wiring Kit supplied by Summit Racing

Steering wheel: ’40 Ford

Steering column: ididit

Seats: Stock, customized

Upholsterer: Bill Dunn

Material / Color: Leather / Keystone Bros. Black & Charcoal with Orange Accent

Carpet: Black Aircraft

I believe that the AMT Shortbox 72 GMC Stepside kit Will NOT com back

as reading here, that Cab was re-tooled into the recent re-issue 72 Cheyenne we have all been asking for

since even with 4 re-issues since that modification, it is still Very Rare

Sadly, I could have gotten as many as 10 of the Rides issue CHEAP ($8.oo or less),

but not knowing if ALL stock parts were left in, I passed on them every trip into Ollie's that time they were there!!!

I am not sure about the grill etc, but the cab was converted back to Chevy when the Longbox Fleetside bed, etc was found

AMT offered that kit as the 67, then MPC took over for 668 on

AMT came back with their 69 Chevy

I believe they converted to GMC with the 71 Annual.

I have 2 sets of Fleetside box sides, But BOTH have one side Sanded almost blank

And BOTH the SAME side!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it will be easier to see Round2 offer the Blazer as a GMC Jimmy than see the GMC Pickup again!!

I would LOVE for them to find the Tow Truck parts Last seen in the Cooter's kit and make a re-issue a 2n1

And What about the Mini Pumper Fire truck parts from the 69 & 70 Annuals???

As for what I said about the 66 Imperial, it was Converted into the car from the TV Series Hero

I do Not know if the Stock front grill/bumper was altered or replaced.

And even though they are doing a Lot of Hollywood kits, FEW are from that Era.

The exception being the Elvis Meyers Manx kit

ANYTHING Elvis will Sell, but others????

I do hope we see the MPC Vega kit back in Stock Annual 

as well as the Chevette

And AMT's 75-77 Matador other than the nascar versions that have been offered lately

If you watch the Overhaulin' shows concerning the actual truck, you'll see it had been converted to independent front suspension at some time in the past using junkyard parts. After the wheelbase was stretched to accommodate the reworked front fenders and new aftermarket IFS swapped in, it's unlikely there's any rational way to get stock guts from the new kit...assuming the new kit uses newly-tooled guts that match the 1:1.

Though the original Revell '56 pickup has a had a bad rap over the years, it's really not a bad kit if you give it a little care, don't rush, and think about what you're doing.

This one was built by Dan Tier's wife, and was only her second model...ever. Looks pretty good to me.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107394-56-ford-pickup-custom-my-wifes-2nd-build/

Dan's wife's excellent work notwithstanding, the photo pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with the kit.
Hence a newly tooled one would be nice, but alas.

Maybe they (AMT) can find the mold pieces to do Don Tonottis King T Ford Roadster. That car was probably ten years before it's time when it won the AMBR and the restoration that was done on it could still be a contender. 

I got a wild hair about building something close to it using the Buterra T Kit's chassis and the AMT '25 T for the bucket and the fenders from the Revell '26 Sedan so they'd fit the chassis better. But got the chassis built and it got preempted by another project (a lot of my builds seem to have that problem lately) someday I will get back on it.

I don't remember anyone mentioning this (maybe they did), but I can see a convertible version being a possibility in Revell's new tool '70 'Cuda. Real examples (of the very few Hemis that were made) can be what 7 figures???

Interesting enough, at the NNL East, Ed Sexton mentioned to me that convertibles don't sell especially well among certain models. The hardtop versions sell better. That's interesting for him to say since we've only had the '72 Olds Cutlass as a convertible so far. Could a hardtop version be far behind?

Time will tell.............

- 440 / 440 Six Barrel version of the Revell 1970. ' Cuda 

- 1971 'Cuda 

- 1970 Charger

- Pinto Sportabout 

- 1970Dart Swinger ( good lord , wouldn't a stock 340 version with the 426 Hemi and its related hardware be the best ?!! An A/MP 1970 Swinger would be sweet !)

- 11970-1972 El Camino of  

- 1969 COPO Chevelle 

Yes , half of those in my list are 'in-my- dreams'  , but others are realistic .

- 440 / 440 Six Barrel version of the Revell 1970. ' Cuda 

- 1971 'Cuda 

- 1970 Charger

- Pinto Sportabout 

you mean a Pinto Runabout?  Sportabout was the Hornet wagon IIRC.   My sister's first car was a '76 Pinto, had 'Runabout' badges IIRC.  

Edited by Rob Hall

- 11970-1972 El Camino of  

- 1969 COPO Chevelle 

I'd love a '72 Elky myself, but would buy a '70 or '71. (I have a JImmy Flintstone '72 Elky body, but, of course, it's a Jimmy Flintstone body....)

Doing a '69 COPO Chevelle (or Yenko tagged one) is really no more difficult than making a decent SS396 out of the ancient AMT kit. B)