Model Cars Magazine Forum

What predictions can we make for new kit releases in 2017?

GMP440

I like that idea, but they'd have to treat the non-RS front end almost like an old-school custom--"Cut this away here, then glue this other part on."

I'm restoring an original AMT non-RS '70, and ordered a couple repro grille/bumpers from that kit from Modelhaus to do others in the future on the modern kit if the mood strikes me. I always thought the standard front look MUCH better than the RS for those years. (And have always thought the Firebird front end was better yet.)

I have a couple of AMT and MPC early '70's Camaros in my collection, as well as some MPC early '70's Firebirds in various degrees build, from unbuilt, to restorable. One of my projects is a '78 MPC Camaro Z28, which I am converting to one of my first cars. I cleaned up the body, and cut in the T-tops. I have to find a flat hood for it, and a few odds and ends.

While I don't know if we'll get the Ranchero in 2017, but maybe in 2018 as we WILL get a '57 Ranchero kit, that's a "given! I'm not really lookin' for any more releases or re-issues as I have PLENTY to build already, and right now I'm on a hiatus from building also.

While I don't know if we'll get the Ranchero in 2017, but maybe in 2018 as we WILL get a '57 Ranchero kit, that's a "given! I'm not really lookin' for any more releases or re-issues as I have PLENTY to build already, and right now I'm on a hiatus from building also.

or they will do something off the wall like a 58 Ranchero.    Though more than those two, I'd really like to see a '70 Ranchero GT. 

Moebius has always released several versions of their kits, I would think that we will probably see a re-trimmed version of their '61 Ventura, (to Catalina or Bonneville level) fairly soon.

IIRC a '61 Catalina was announced when the Ventura was announced.  I know a Catalina stock car is coming as a MK release.  A Bonneville would require a new body, interior and chassis (wheelbase difference) so that would be more of a long shot...

I see Moebius coming out with a 65 Coronet, practically a shoe in off their Plymouth. I'm sure there will be some variations as well. Along the same line, once their 65 Comet is out, maybe we'll finally get an accurate 65 Falcon too. 

I'll do my predictions by brand.

AMT (Round 2): 1965 Corvair Corsa annual re-release, 1966 Chrysler Imperial, 1962 Lincoln Continental, 1966 Ford Thunderbird, 1966 Ford Mustang GT, Sonny & Cher Mustangs, 1967 Mercury Cougar

MPC (Round 2): George Barris Mail Truck

Moebius: Chevrolet Corvair (any year), 1953 Packard Clipper

Polar Lights (Round 2): 1/25th scale Green Hornet Black Beauty

Revell Germany: Ferrari 250 GT California

Revell-Monogram: 1940 Ford Woody, Shelby 427 Cobra Essex Wire, Porsche 904 GTS Slot Car, 1950 Ford Woody, 1965 Shelby GT350R Le Mans

Well,

We know the 66 Imperial became the "Hero" car

Not sure if the stock grill still exists. Plus what they did to the body!!

The 62 Lincoln became the 63, then 64, etc, etc.

I am Not sure on the Sonny & Cher parts for the Mustang,

But the 67 Cougar became the 68, then the 69

last offered as a 428 CJ & Eliminator

Wish they could offer it again as the XR7 with Original engine & exhaust.

It would be GREAT to see the Mail Truck Custom back and to have a 1/25 version of Black Beauty

BUT, PLEASE the TV version with Modified tail lights, and NOT the Movie version with Stock Imperial 

rear treatment!!! (UNLESS they also offer a Stock 64-66 Imperial kit

AND separate TV Version pieces!!!!

Don't forget that Revell will milk another version of that recent 83/84 Cutlass tool, and some of their other recent new tools.

I think if they really did their homework, they would offer a 3 in 1 version of the first gen Bronco. Much like MPC did back in the early 70's with their CJ 5 and Commando kits, they could offer multiple build options in one kit and sell a boat load of them. Imagine buying a kit and building a Baja truck, a stock truck or drag truck, all from one kit and at a decent price? People who are interested in only a Baja kit would buy one just as the person who wants a stock Bronco. The leftover parts could be traded off or saved in the parts box.

I am Not sure on the Sonny & Cher parts for the Mustang,

I've never seen anything that suggests that the S&C Mustang doesn't exist. It was made from the original '65-'66 HT/Conv kit. As I understand it, the oft-reissued '66 coupe was made from the '65 HT promo body and the original '66 other parts. I don't think the S&C Mustang was ever changed into anything else. The complete molds might very well exist.

A decade ago, did you ever think you'd see the Piranha or the Manx again? Me neither. We'll have to see what wondrous surprises lie in wait.

A retro boxed version of the '34 Ford, '63 Galaxie, or '66 Merc from AMT would be a rather predictable, but welcome, addition to the shelves.

A Revell/Monogram release of a Model A Woody, to expand on the trend of new/re-issued Model A kits we've seen lately should almost be expected, as well as another version of the '57 Ford. (Possibly a Ranchero or Country Squire?)

R2 could easily do a quick-to-the-shelves retro boxed version of their '64 Comet as a form of one-upsmanship on Moebius' long awaited '65 Comet, to get the sales of those builders whose skill level, or pocketbooks, are not quite up to the level of a Moebius kit. Or, for both companies to get a sale, from those wishing to do a more detailed '64.

Moebius has always released several versions of their kits, I would think that we will probably see a re-trimmed version of their '61 Ventura, (to Catalina or Bonneville level) fairly soon.

Uh, to do a Bonneville would mean an awful lot of new tooling--a '61 Bonneville has a trunk that is a full 10" longer than the Catalina or Ventura--meaning also a new chassis--not to mention some new chrome parts as well, Oh, and new taillights.

A Bonneville would require a new body, interior and chassis (wheelbase difference) so that would be more of a long shot...

Uh, to do a Bonneville would mean an awful lot of new tooling--a '61 Bonneville has a trunk that is a full 10" longer than the Catalina or Ventura--meaning also a new chassis--not to mention some new chrome parts as well, Oh, and new taillights.

OK, guys. Since Pontchos are not really my area of expertise, I thought that a Bonneville was the higher end of essentially the same car as a Catalina. I didn't know that in '61 they were completely different cars! Sorry about that!

OK, guys. Since Pontchos are not really my area of expertise, I thought that a Bonneville was the higher end of essentially the same car as a Catalina. I didn't know that in '61 they were completely different cars! Sorry about that!

I think the Bonneville was always a bigger car. Many people don't realize that the full-size GM cars were built on several different wheelbases. I think all Chevies shared the same wheelbase--the shortest one--but the Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs were on longer chassis, and two sizes of longer chassis at that.

The Pontiacs are particularly confusing, with two or three models and trim levels on each length--Bonneville, Star Chief, Executive, Catalina, 2+2, Grand Prix, Ventura, maybe some more I've forgotten--I can never keep them straight and have to look them up when I need to know. B)

I think the Bonneville was always a bigger car. Many people don't realize that the full-size GM cars were built on several different wheelbases. I think all Chevies shared the same wheelbase--the shortest one--but the Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs were on longer chassis, and two sizes of longer chassis at that.

The Pontiacs are particularly confusing, with two or three models and trim levels on each length--Bonneville, Star Chief, Executive, Catalina, 2+2, Grand Prix, Ventura, maybe some more I've forgotten--I can never keep them straight and have to look them up when I need to know. B)

Yeah, it wasn't until the '77 downsizing that all the B-bodies across the CPOB brands standardized on a single wheelbase.    Prior to that, Chevy had one wheelbase, Pontiac had two (both B-bodies), Olds had two (B- and C- bodies),  Buick had two (B- and C- bodies)...and even more variation once you get back as far as the early 50s and before...

As far as the 60s Pontiacs went, Catalina and Ventura were on the shorter wheelbase, as were the Grand Prix and 2+2.   Star Chief (renamed Executive) and Bonneville were on the longer wheelbase.

Edited by Rob Hall

I am also hoping for the 1972 Cutlass Supreme.  I doubt they will do it at this point.  Most new Revell kits get their first big body upgrade within a couple of years of release.  I think they will just release the convertible over and over.  The Cutlass Supreme and '50 Olds seem to have both fallen off the face of the Earth after their first couple of variations.  

From the vintage front, I'd like to see the '71 Roadrunner released again.  I have one in a MPC box molded in bright yellow.  It's from the '80s, so the tooling should be okay.  I don't remember any butchered versions of it being released.

If Moebius does a '65 Coronet, I will come out of retirement to build one.  Same goes for a '65 Falcon.  (Three or four for the Falcon!)

I imagine it will be a fun year.

The Ventura model was a Catalina "upgrade."

I would like to see 

AMT announce a Pinto Coupe or Hatchback mid 70's

Mid 70's Dodge Long beds

What i think we may happen in 2017

AMT reissue the 72 Chevrolet c10 Long Bed

AMT Reissue 65 Buick Riviera

AMT Reissue 68 Roadrunner

Revell reissue the 69 Dodge Charger

Revell reissue Chevy S10 Pickup  

Revell 57 Ranchero 

I would like to see 

AMT announce a Pinto Coupe or Hatchback mid 70's

Mid 70's Dodge Long beds

What i think we may happen in 2017

AMT reissue the 72 Chevrolet c10 Long Bed

AMT Reissue 65 Buick Riviera

AMT Reissue 68 Roadrunner

Revell reissue the 69 Dodge Charger

Revell reissue Chevy S10 Pickup  

Revell 57 Ranchero 

Too soon for '68 Road Runner, they just reissued it in retro packaging a few years ago...maybe one of the '69 GTXes, though...the '72 Chevy pickup would be nice to see again.

I predict there will be some brand new kits launched, along with some reissues I never thought we'd see again.

I predict that some of them will have almost no appeal to me.

I predict that some will have a lot of appeal to me.

I predict I'll probably buy at least one of each of them. B)

LOL...thats funny.I think the same thing.its a almost guarante.......Chris