Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '49 Ford 'Gasman"

pharoah

There don't seem to be any of the new issue on eBay currently...but it's available elsewhere.

Yes there is. I was searching 'AMT 49 Ford' and it didn't show up. So I tried 'AMT 1949 Ford Gas Man',and there they were!  I snatched one up ,too! 

Yes there is. I was searching 'AMT 49 Ford' and it didn't show up. So I tried 'AMT 1949 Ford Gas Man',and there they were!  I snatched one up ,too! 

Ah hah...I was only searching 'AMT 49 Ford' also.    If I get one, I'll probably go w/ my usual vendors, Tower Hobbies or Model Roundup. 

Look at what I got today!  The box art is great! I didn't know it came with whitewall cheater slicks,too. did they come with some other kits,like the '36 Ford? Of course it has the red tinted 'glass' ,with red headlight lenses. Decals look good,with a lot of team sponsors.  There are 2 sets of custom wheels,along with the steelies. There's only one metal axle. It has plastic pins for the front. Molded in white,the rest of the kit looks pretty much the same. The instructions seem 'downsized' and a little cheap.

This is my first kit review,and I hope it helps.

49_5.jpg

49_6.jpg

49_3.jpg

49_4.jpg

49_1.jpg

49_2.jpg

• Like 1

Look at what I got today!  The box art is great! I didn't know it came with whitewall cheater slicks,too. did they come with some other kits,like the '36 Ford? Of course it has the red tinted 'glass' ,with red headlight lenses. Decals look good,with a lot of team sponsors.  There are 2 sets of custom wheels,along with the steelies. There's only one metal axle. It has plastic pins for the front. Molded in white,the rest of the kit looks pretty much the same. The instructions seem 'downsized' and a little cheap.

49_5.jpg

49_6.jpg

49_3.jpg

49_4.jpg

49_1.jpg

49_2.jpg

I thought I read somewhere that the three bar hubcaps from the original kit were back, but I don't see them....

Does anyone know what kit the Goodyear Polyglas tires came from?

Weird. The picture I posted was nicked directly from the Collector Model blog post last September, and the Polylgas GT tires should've been included with the '49 Ford.

Are you looking for the L60-15 Polyglas tires specifically, or just any of the newer Polyglas tires AMT has included in their kits?

Since this a Round 2 reissue, thank you thank you, they may be using their reissue AMT Polyglass GT tires. The pad printed white walls look great. At one time in the past this kit was issued with a set of way to wide low profile tire like you would find on a late model Corvette. I have a couple still in the stash but this may be a future buy anyway. I have always liked this kit.

Since this a Round 2 reissue, thank you thank you, they may be using their reissue AMT Polyglass GT tires. The pad printed white walls look great. At one time in the past this kit was issued with a set of way to wide low profile tire like you would find on a late model Corvette. I have a couple still in the stash but this may be a future buy anyway. I have always liked this kit.

I know what you mean about the Goodyears. I have a few sets of those around here. They don't even fit on the 49 Ford.   I think that maybe they are trying to 'back date' the kit to give it a 60's vibe. Things like the box art that get the attention of the old guys (like me) that are still building models. All I can say is 'Thank You' to Round 2 and AMT. Now,lets see the '50 Ford convertible in a Retro Deluxe with all of the original parts - except for the ugly wheel covers. lol

Weird. The picture I posted was nicked directly from the Collector Model blog post last September, and the Polylgas GT tires should've been included with the '49 Ford.

Are you looking for the L60-15 Polyglas tires specifically, or just any of the newer Polyglas tires AMT has included in their kits?

I was looking for the printed ones like the ones in the picture. I have about 200 of the older ones without the printing; however my eyes are not what they used to be and it is difficult to hand paint the white letters.

John, Check out the "Showboat" 1950 Ford. Came out last year. Should still be on some shelves. Exactly what you asked for. Even has the plastic 2-peice slicks, and restored Gasser Front Axle.

Alan

But does it have the Carson top? They made it into a half top after the first issue for some reason. I'll check it out.. Thanks

49_6.jpg

49_1.jpg

Helps a lot. Thanks for the review. Going to run over to HL tomorrow and see if they have one on the shelf.

My H.L. has not gotten one yet.

Maybe next month. (sigh)  Despite being in California, our H.L. seems to be the last place in the US to get new kits.

Well that's because Hobby Lobby is based in Oklahoma, which where their warehouse and truck fleet is also located once it gets the kits sent to them from Round2 in Indiana.

Another note on the '50 Ford convertible. I believe that every reissue has the option of two front windshields. The stock and a chopped also. The advantage of the chopped pieces is that it opens so many other options beyond the '50. They used to have a full Carson top plus the half top. Does anyone out there have the latest reissue to know if both tops are still included ?  As an aside I'm sure most of you have dealt  with the pad print tires. I'm a bit Ham Fisted and can screw things up , so you might want to give the tires a light spry of clear just to protect the printing. I took half the lettering of a Good Year lettered tire with out even trying. The inner diameter of these tires are different from some of the current models on the market and that will need to be addressed.    

Thanks, James. I had not known that. It makes sense, in a backwards way.

ESPO, I have the new "Showboat" '50 Ford kit. No Carson Top, only the Half Top. It is otherwise very nice. The parts are crisp, and the chrome sparkles. The Decal Sheets is awesome.

Another note on the '50 Ford convertible. I believe that every reissue has the option of two front windshields. The stock and a chopped also. The advantage of the chopped pieces is that it opens so many other options beyond the '50. They used to have a full Carson top plus the half top. Does anyone out there have the latest reissue to know if both tops are still included ?  As an aside I'm sure most of you have dealt  with the pad print tires. I'm a bit Ham Fisted and can screw things up , so you might want to give the tires a light spry of clear just to protect the printing. I took half the lettering of a Good Year lettered tire with out even trying. The inner diameter of these tires are different from some of the current models on the market and that will need to be addressed.    

.....bad news , David, on your Good Years.....I had the exact thing happen month's back on a set of the M-H 10.50 slick's. I contacted Round 2, and I had a replacement slick sent to me quickly... just a thought here.....the Ace...;)

Actually, the half top is what's left of the Carson top. If you compare the undersides, you can the pleat engraving from the Carson top on the half roof. The original second top (besides the stock uptop) was a chopped Victoria roof. That roof, along with the fins and fender skirts seem to have bit the dust to make room for the straight axle and plastic slicks in the Showboat issue, never to return.

This is definitely a must have kit, I can see a '49 Ford Gasser in my future! Those slicks with a couple of grooves in them are worth buying even without the kit, but that box art model looks so good that I want to build something similar myself.

Dave Darby mentioned the Victoria roof and some additional custom parts from the first issues. Earlier today I stopped at Hobby Haven and looked at the kit box and the options within. A shame about the Victoria hardtop. I built one years ago with the copped top. As I recall they at one time even had a stock height top also. I can't remember where but I think someone is casting, or was, both of these tops and also the Carson Top. But we're forgetting that this is about the '49 coupe. This is a great kit with endless possibilities. The last one I built was as a Gasser adding Fuel Injection Stacks to the kits engine and radius the rear wheel wells. I'm interested in what John is going to do with this build.   

Those custom wheels have been reproduced for this new release. They were caller Reactor wheels, after the Gene Winfield custom car that sported them. AMT added them to the '49 Ford Coupe re-release around 1966 replacing the 1962 original custom spinner caps. The wheels continued in the 'Tijuana Border Police' kit and the 'Tournament of Thrills' kit. They were later replaced by the 5-spoke mags of the 1970s 'Street Rods' era.

WinfieldReactorJustFinished-vi.jpg

Edited by blizzy63

Just picked one up at the LHS. Going to try to replicate (with better workmanship, LOL) the one that my dad and I built together in 1967 after they yanked out my tonsils. Gonna be red, with the Cadillac engine. Carbs this time instead of the blower. My parents' first car together was a green '49 Custom Club Coupe, and we already had his replica proudly displayed on the mantel. It's around here somewhere. I have been meaning to post it in the survivors thread when I find it.

The red '49 was the first detailed kit I had. We built it together, but I was allowed to solo soon enough.