Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '49 Ford 'Gasman"

pharoah

Every issue since/including the original mid-Seventies Street Rods series will have those parts, though the AMT/Ertl issues will have different tires.  I think they actually put Goodyear Gatorbacks into one or two issues.  The Thrill Show issue has the three-carb Cadillac engine and Appliance custom wheels but none of the customizing parts for the body or interior.  Those seem to sell for more than most other issues though, so don't bother with that one unless you want the thrill show ramps (which are quite accurate).

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Casey said:

A few more so-so quality pics from a partial/incomplete AMT '49 Ford "Gasman" reissue:

WP_20180412_008.jpg

WP_20180412_013.jpg

About those wide white cheaters: see that arrow in the pics?  Both of the cheaters in my kit were printed identically with the counter-clockwise arrow.  So the one mounted on the passenger side would show the rotation incorrectly.

Not sure if all these kits are like this (my suspicion), or maybe just my kit mistakenly got two "lefties"?  If all these tires are printed identically, it probably would have been better to just leave the rotation arrow off altogether.

OK, I realize you would have to get thisclose to actually see the problem on a finished model, but if you're OCD and know it's there, it IS kind of annoying.

Edited by Robberbaron

46 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

?

Whoops I smacked a key on the numpad and didn't look before hitting entered too amused with myself over tossing up an inside joke to a friend. "3 types of tires total" was what I was attempting to convey. 

Edited by niteowl7710

8 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Thanks, Alexis.  Thaaaaankss, Casey.

more fodder for my spectacular nuclear-grade stash reduction trainwreck...

Definitely worth the money! I bought two at Hobby Lobby with a coupon on separate times. Don't like abusing the rules. Well worth the money..

12 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

About those wide white cheaters: see that arrow in the pics?  Both of the cheaters in my kit were printed identically with the counter-clockwise arrow.  So the one mounted on the passenger side would show the rotation incorrectly.

Not sure if all these kits are like this (my suspicion), or maybe just my kit mistakenly got two "lefties"?  If all these tires are printed identically, it probably would have been better to just leave the rotation arrow off altogether.

OK, I realize you would have to get this close to actually see the problem on a finished model, but if you're OCD and know it's there, it IS kind of annoying.

The printed tire data (small letters) on the piecrust Racemaster slick also appears to be printed out-of-register on the sidewall, with the smallest lettering being in the groove or on the rib...whatever that is...where it wouldn't be in reality.

At least the rotation arrow is fairly easily masked with a touch of something white and opaque.

Not so out-of-register printing.

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 9:27 AM, Rob Hall said:

IIRC the 49 with that box art reissued early in the Round 2 days, maybe 2008-2009...

Yes, I think this was the first automotive model kit (#601) released by Round2 in September, 2008:

AMT60149FordRound22.jpg.65bd5330ef852799b060511a912635eb.jpg

AMT60149FordRound2.jpg.44d4dda813b3da342576da24be9b5c2d.jpg

And look, the full contents shown in silhouette on the bottom of the box:

AMT60149FordRound23.jpg.fc3c30e1396f4bc1231558c5e0a7da34.jpg

This kit also includes a 2.5" x 3.5" Street Rods sticker, too-- just like the Ford Model A radiator shell logo to the right of the AMT logo in the image above.

• 3 years later...