Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '49 Ford 'Gasman"

pharoah

........just got my new 49 today.....I usually never buy or build drag car's of this kind, but I'm making an exception in this case. IMO this issue is worth every cent and the tire's and goody's like the red tinted glass are worth the price alone. mine will be built quite basic, maybe with plug wire's alone for detailing, and as the box art car with Tamiya white sprayed with Tamiya pearl coat overtop.........another great Round2 reissue.....the Ace....:D

How is the body in this reissue?  I have the last reissue that had the '70s era "Street Rod" series art on the box and there was a lot of flash and also a nasty flowmark and shrink distortion in the driver's door and rocker panel.

.....mine seems good, a bit of flash but in general pretty clean I'd say..........the Ace....;)......update,,, I just checked the body with a fine tooth comb...lol...and  the driver's door of mine is perfect. keep in mind, John, you SRS kit is from the mid to late 70s  when kit quality wasn't always the order of the day and many company's just were looking to sell volume to any retailer they could......the Ace...:D

Edited by AC Norton
text

Anymore gasser goodies to make it worth the purchase?

well, I have never owned any other 49 Ford kit's, but other than the new slick's I think it contains the same part's as prior. the photo's in this thread show what you get, and my kit is in front of me at present, and I will say that it is a very nice item. the chrome is perfect, the kit is a nice white plastic, not  that clear almost see thru junk, and the decal sheet, as this thread shows, is just outstanding. frankly, I don't usually buy kit's in the late 40s- early 50s type, but this will build into a nice little gasser with little effort or having to buy another kit or two to pilfer part's for this. the Caddy engine look's nice, the open wheel's are useful on this, or many other car's if you choose to use the American wheel's ....they also are very nice, a little flash and two have a bit of flash on the dust caps, but a couple minute's work and a dash of BMF will remedy that. hope all this helps, I would rate this an 8 out of 10  from a reissue  point of view............the Ace....;)

Opinion time

My old issue of the 49 has an odd blower belt for the supercharged Cadillac option.

Do you think it's a poor representation of a multi belt/ pulley system, or a poorly executed 3 inch belt? The multi belt option would be more "period" accurate, it sort of "slants" down towards the front. I'm just curious what you guys think.

What say ye? Does the new issue have the same belt?

Edited by GaryR

Opinion time

My old issue of the 49 has an odd blower belt for the supercharged Cadillac option.

Do you think it's a poor representation of a multi belt/ pulley system, or a poorly executed 3 inch belt? The multi belt option would be more "period" accurate, it sort of "slants" down towards the front. I'm just curious what you guys think.

What say ye? Does the new issue have the same belt?

let me check mine, Gary.....back at ya' in the quick.......the Ace....:D.....ok, the kit has 2 belt's for the Caddy engine, 1 regular style for the street setup,,,, the other a 3 pulley  blower belt, that to me looks typical of what most blower belts look like. these are white parts, Gary, and there is nothing resembling what you mention on the chrome tree......I'm not too familiar with the many version's of this kit, this new one being my first ever, but I hope this helps....best, the Ace...:)

Edited by AC Norton
text

Wasn't referring to a chrome part, but the blower belt itself. It looks like three belts put together, which was common, actually the ONLY arraignment until specialty Gilmer belts were made. You had several small (width ) v belts on several separate pulleys.

Like this modern Ardun. Other than chain drives and the odd gear drives, Gilmer belts more than one inch wide weren't made. The typical mid 60's Gilmer had grown to three inches.

Ardun1.gif

Edited by GaryR

Just happened to pick up this repop today, thanks for the original review John. Looking closely at the blower belt arrangement, I would venture it is a multi belt, stepped down set up, somewhat like on the "Grasshopper T". This is a particularly welcome part as I wasn't able to recall what kit had it. The tire combination is very sweet, especially the black Firestone lettering on the wide whitewalls, and the decal sheet is very welcome too. Must admit that the box is very striking and especially appealing to me.

The one aspect that did surprise me is the amount of flash on the kit, as most recent repops have been very good with cleaned up molds. This is an old kit though, nearly as old as me ?! The custom front belly pan and grill surround will also require a certain amount of massaging to get it all in place. 

Nonetheless, a welcome addition to our shelves!

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

Really no reason for it that I can see! Blower belts had been molded for quite a few years without it.

That's why I say poorly executed , it does appear to be an attempt at a multi belt setup.

It's really too bad, we could really use a decent multi belt part. 

Which makes me ask, any of you make one? How did you do it, what did you use??? Not just suggestions or ideas, but DID you actually make one?

The multiple-belt setup had to be molded with the "steps" in it.  If it were molded with grooves between the belts, it couldn't be pulled out of the tool.  You could scribe the grooves using the molded-in steps as a guide and then file away the steps, or just file away the steps and end up with a single wide belt.  Other more recent kits have stepped areas instead of grooves on certain parts; if you have a Revell Deuce three-window kit, check the trunk lines on the body... 

The multiple-belt setup had to be molded with the "steps" in it.  If it were molded with grooves between the belts, it couldn't be pulled out of the tool.  You could scribe the grooves using the molded-in steps as a guide and then file away the steps, or just file away the steps and end up with a single wide belt.  Other more recent kits have stepped areas instead of grooves on certain parts; if you have a Revell Deuce three-window kit, check the trunk lines on the body... 

Exactly, and entirely self-evident to anyone who understands the injection molding process (or even open-molding or casting and stamping processes in a variety of industries) and anything about tool design for same.

The idea of using the "steps" as guides for cutting grooves, then filing away the wedge shape, is a good one too (exactly what I was going to suggest :D).

Tooling COULD be done to more accurately represent multiple belts (with grooves), but would require a sliding section...probably cost-prohibitive for a single part. That would also result in a parting line on the "belt' surface (perpendicular to the long dimension), subject to flash (and complaints from builders).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Which makes me ask, any of you make one? How did you do it, what did you use??? Not just suggestions or ideas, but DID you actually make one?

There are a number of machined aluminum multi-grooved scale pulleys on the market, and modelers have been using a variety of materials to accurately represent V-belts (like thin strips of electrical tape) for many years. Maybe putting tape belts on aluminum pulleys...hmmmmm...

Oh wait...that's exactly what I'm doing for a build representing an early post-war (that's WW II for the history-challenged) GMC-blown, Ardun-headed lakes car.  :D

Not really rocket science to combine the two.   Image result for rocket science

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for the friendly replies.You know who you are.

Oh wait!

SOME of you read what I wrote!

I'll leave it to the reader to decide what that might refer to, meanwhile if you BUILT YOURSELF, rather than purchased a belt arraignment like this, I'd love to see pics or a tutorial! I do enjoy the replies of modelers without the chips on their shoulders! Again thanks!

:lol:

Edited by GaryR

Thanks for the friendly replies.You know who you are.

Oh wait!

SOME of you read what I wrote!

"Which makes me ask, any of you make one? How did you do it, what did you use??? Not just suggestions or ideas, but DID you actually make one?"

Some didn't, just the  usual cranky know it all curmudgeonly rant , this time on what can be bought.

I'll leave it to the reader to decide what that might refer to, meanwhile if you BUILT YOURSELF, rather than purchased a belt arraignment like this, I'd love to see pics or a tutorial! I do enjoy the replies of modelers without the chips on their shoulders! Again thanks!

:lol:

I have a lathe, Gary, and I know how to use it.

The pulley-groove spacing on the commercially available pulleys wasn't to my liking, and I've been tweaking the procedure to make tiny parts with a big 'ol machine.

About the ONLY way anybody could make a decent looking v-belt representation is by machining grooves in something with some kind of turning tool.

Not too hard to figure out, if you think, now is it?

But YOU always have to start the name calling, don't you?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Really no reason for it that I can see! Blower belts had been molded for quite a few years without it.

That's why I say poorly executed , it does appear to be an attempt at a multi belt setup.

It's really too bad, we could really use a decent multi belt part. 

Here's a dual belt setup I did almost 30 years ago. The pullies are Evergreen tubing, snd the belts are black vinyl tape cut into narrow strips, then dull coated after installation. 

IMG_8930rt.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...