Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2017 Releases

Casey

Revell told me today that they are separate.

I was thinkin' the scoops were separate also as I believe the body is the same as the new issue F & F Charger, no? I did see the built up of the '70 Charger R/T at the Revell display at the Milwaukee NNL this past Saturday. It was lookin' good and now its at the top of my "buy list,"

I stand corrected regarding the 15" wheels / mandated with Hemi . Even searching through the Hamtramck Historical library , I couldn't find any evidence that the 15" wheels were mandated . Perhaps I'm getting my ages-old information crossed-up ; perhaps it was only in 1969 that 15" were mandated ? Maybe that was only the 1969 1/2 Six Pack / 6 Bbl models ? Never-the-less ...

Frankly , I'm surprised that anyone would "want" 14" wheels with that detuned race engine , let alone the 440 (even in standard 375 hp tune) .

As an interesting side note ; anyone ever witness a car with "R20" ? It was a 'Radio Ready Package' ; one got everything except for the receiver ( i.e. , speakers , wiring , etc. ) . I saw a '70 R/T Charger ( 440 Magnum ) at the Spring Fling V show not too long after learning of the option . I couldn't believe it !

I stand corrected regarding the 15" wheels / mandated with Hemi . Even searching through the Hamtramck Historical library , I couldn't find any evidence that the 15" wheels were mandated . Perhaps I'm getting my ages-old information crossed-up ; perhaps it was only in 1969 that 15" were mandated ? Maybe that was only the 1969 1/2 Six Pack / 6 Bbl models ? Never-the-less ...

Frankly , I'm surprised that anyone would "want" 14" wheels with that detuned race engine , let alone the 440 (even in standard 375 hp tune) .

As an interesting side note ; anyone ever witness a car with "R20" ? It was a 'Radio Ready Package' ; one got everything except for the receiver ( i.e. , speakers , wiring , etc. ) . I saw a '70 R/T Charger ( 440 Magnum ) at the Spring Fling V show not too long after learning of the option . I couldn't believe it !

I read somewhere long ago that the engineers at Chrysler specified 15" wheels for all Hemi cars at some point. I'm fuzzy about the '66 and '67 cars, but at least for '68 and '69, it was 15" wheels only. In '69, what's now called the recall wheel (styled aluminum wheel, as included in Round 2's '69 Barracuda kit) was to be the styled 15" wheel option for Hemi cars, but as soon as those wheels were recalled, they were replaced with steel wheels with either plain hubcaps, or in some cases, dressier full wheelcovers at dealerships across the country. There are a few old factory photos with Charger 500's with Polara/ Monaco full wheelcovers out there that I think backs this up.

In 1970, the styled steel wheel (otherwise known as the Rallye wheel) was introduced, and were available in either 14" or 15" varieties, so the 15" styled wheel problem was solved, but I think either in 1970 (but definitely by 1971), the 15" wheel requirement was dropped.

I think Rallyes might have been a better choice, and maybe would have looked more prototypical, for the '70 Charger kit, but Rallyes can be found elsewhere. My favorites actually come from the old JoHan Superbird (although these probably scale out to 14"...).

In any case, styled wheels were almost a moot point. Many performance car buyers of the era replaced factory wheels, styled or otherwise, with aftermarket wheels as soon as they could. Many of these cars were delivered with steel wheels because it was thought that the factory wheels would be ditched as soon as possible. 

Edited by CapSat 6
Word order

Well , since Revell is going for 14" wheels for this stock Charger R/T , why not change it up some ? Personally , I like the W11 wheel covers : http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Charger0010.jpg

Note that this is from the Charger brochure , and that the ( yawn ) Road Wheels are available , 14" and all . Now , compare that with the same year Challenger wheel options : http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Challenger0010.jpg 

"N. A . With 426 Hemi." . Interesting that the B-body Hemi could be had with those in 14" , whereas a same year E-body could not .

Oh , well . Such a nit-picky issue that I proposed , huh ? I suppose that my dislike of the Road Wheels and their presence in every flippin' Monogram MoPar kit in the 80's is what drove me to "disprove" their presence with the Hemi Package , 1969-1971 .

Like Chuck said, the way the F&F-specific parts are grouped with the non-R/T taillight panel leads me to believe that it will have the correct one.  

There's a set of unused Rallyes in the Sox & Martin Cuda if you've got one in the ol' stash pile.  

Personally, I think the Magnum 500's just look right on Chargers. If I close my eyes and imagine a Charger that's what it'll have. Well, those or Vectors, I did grow up in the 80's B)  Rallyes do look better on Cudas and Challengers, though.   

Like Chuck said, the way the F&F-specific parts are grouped with the non-R/T taillight panel leads me to believe that it will have the correct one.  

There's a set of unused Rallyes in the Sox & Martin Cuda if you've got one in the ol' stash pile.  

Personally, I think the Magnum 500's just look right on Chargers. If I close my eyes and imagine a Charger that's what it'll have. Well, those or Vectors, I did grow up in the 80's B)  Rallyes do look better on Cudas and Challengers, though

What's odd is, that the rear bumper is grouped together with the plated F&F parts.

That's really interesting.  I'm trying to recall what happened with my factory ordered E58 '74 Road Runner  I ordered it with the Radio Delete option because the only factory radios did not include eight tracks, were prohibitively expensive (vs the aftermarket), and on the'71-'74 B-Bodies had a strange setup with both the tuning and volume dials on the left, which as I recall prevented a straight swap into the bezel of an aftermarket radio (with the knobs on either side of the tuning screen).  

Plus the B-Bodies only had only a single  front and rear speaker setup for "stereo" , as opposed to the 2--3 front and 2-rear speaker setup in the Mopar C and E Bodies with factory stereos, and the rear speaker was a puny 5x7 vs. the 6x9 it should have been.

Right after I took delivery I hung  an aftermarket (Pioneer?) AM/FM Stereo 8-Track unit below the dash, wired it to two Utah 6x9 two way bass reflex speakers mounted on the back package shelf, and rocked away.   Until the stereo got stolen (twice)  Still....it was far, far better than the factory stereo at less coast.  And the Rallye instrument Cluster looked far cooler without the radio/dial setup.  What I can't recall is ordering a radio setup package, nor paying the dealer to install a radio antenna.  I wonder if by 1974 they had added the R20 equipment as standard for all cars?   TIM

What's odd is, that the rear bumper is grouped together with the plated F&F parts.

That's because the F&F car doesn't have bumper guards. If you look at the parts sprues from the F&F release it's clear the R/T will have the proper taillight panel and probably bumper guards. Also, I asked Ed Sexton at last year's NNL East (when the F&F '70 was on display) "Will there be an R/T? Will it have separate door scoops?" His answer was "Yes" to both. 

As for the Foose F-100, the description at the link provided, describes in part:

Nearly every panel was reshaped, reformed or cut. The cowl was sectioned, the hood was pie-cut, the front wheels were moved forward, the rear fenders were widened and raised up, the cab was section cut 3 inches at the rear window and the front fender wheel opening was moved up. A Roush NASCAR racing motor, serial number 1, was installed and one-off wheels were cut.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Ford_F-100

Thanks again, Gerry!  Speculated that might be the case in the F&F Charger thread 'cause the valve covers aren't chromed.

If we just get the R/T rear fascia - and maybe the black HEMI swatches as an option for the hood pretty please? - we should be sittin' pretty.  Particularly in light of the full set of Rallyes in the Sox & Martin 'Cuda.

B)

Here's a little side-by-side that might help visualize what's been done to the Foose pickup. It's a bunch of little subtle changes that add up to a pretty sweet looking ride.  I find that inverting the colors on dark vehicles helps pick out the shapes and lines better. 

As for the Foose F-100, the description at the link provided, describes in part:

Nearly every panel was reshaped, reformed or cut. The cowl was sectioned, the hood was pie-cut, the front wheels were moved forward, the rear fenders were widened and raised up, the cab was section cut 3 inches at the rear window and the front fender wheel opening was moved up. A Roush NASCAR racing motor, serial number 1, was installed and one-off wheels were cut.

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Ford_F-100

But... but... I don't understand! (for best effect, try imagining that phrase all breathless and gaspy)

If you're not a REEEEEEEAAAALL MODELER unless you take The Kit That Must Not Be Named with a glad scat-eating little grin and just do all the hacking necessary to get the roof at the right height, then shouldn't that same REEEEEEEAAAALL MODELER be able to affect all these changes from the old F100 kit??

Yeah, I know.  Gets to a point where even I have to admit I'm just being difficult. :)

Thanks again, Gerry!  Speculated that might be the case in the F&F Charger thread 'cause the valve covers aren't chromed.

If we just get the R/T rear fascia - and maybe the black HEMI swatches as an option for the hood pretty please? - we should be sittin' pretty.  Particularly in light of the full set of Rallyes in the Sox & Martin 'Cuda.

B)

If they had the models there, I would photographed them as I always bring my camera when I visit.  Sometimes, though, even when they have stuff there, they will not allow photos.  If they let me I will, if not, that is the way it is.

If I close my eyes and imagine a Charger that's what it'll have. Well, those or Vectors, I did grow up in the 80's B)  Rallyes do look better on Cudas and Challengers, though.   

I am with you there ,  growing up in the 80's as well, and 68-70 body style Charger's dont look right to me if they dont have those Vectors on them

If they had the models there, I would photographed them as I always bring my camera when I visit.  Sometimes, though, even when they have stuff there, they will not allow photos.  If they let me I will, if not, that is the way it is.

OH - 

it just occurred to me that I may have come across as if I were asking you to SHOOT all that stuff!

Nonononono. That was a commentary on how I hope Revell finishes the kit.  Seriously, thanks for sorting out everything that you did!